follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-08-2019, 12:33 AM   #631
RallySport

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKOLA View Post
So, I got my recall notice today for my 2013 FR-S built in September 2012. My problem is that I have a Sprintex Super Charger on my car. No heat exchanger connected to complicate matters. However, it is a significant mod. I have more than 45000 miles on my car and the super charger has been on the car since April 2017. About one year after my 3 year warranty ended.

The question is, "will Toyota honor the recall on my car regardless of the fact that I have a supercharger on it?" After all, the "presumed" problem with the valve springs were from the very beginning well before I added a super charger on the car. It has been running smoothly nonetheless since I don't push crazy boost. Do I go in for the recall???
As I understand it, with a recall they cannot deny you. But, you are in the unenviable position of having a dealer tech have to work around the mods and apparently having to deviate from the procedure. That sucks man, sorry.

The question as to whether you have to bring it in was tossed around earlier in the thread. YMMV but the issue effects a small percentage of cars, so taking your chances is not a Terrible bet. But It’s not clear how you’d be treated if down the road your car blew up as a result of ignoring the recall. Also I would image an open recall could effect your resell value.

So... tough call. maybe call around a see if you can find someone you trust?
RallySport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RallySport For This Useful Post:
NIKOLA (01-09-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 02:17 AM   #632
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Waiting for my notice... I actually got mine in May 2012 before they officially first went on sale and its had some warranty work for issues...and still has some issues randomly just shutting off when coming to a stop every so often. Will start back up though. Motor has always seemed very valvetrain noisy. I run high quality synthetic and properly bring it up to temp before ever getting on it though... have Scangauge to monitor oil and coolant temps.

This will work out well for me since I was about to replace the clutch (getting very bad nearing 60k), spark plugs, and coil packs before selling my FR-S and have 'leaky' valve cover seal that absolutetly gunks up the engine cover. Will do brakes and rear axles myself.

I just need t make sure I gather all the info for the Perrin solid motor and transmission mounts. Should make it way easier to pull the motor though.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:22 AM   #633
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
I have no valve spring problems, and I feel so superior to you MY13 people.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
bcj (01-08-2019), funwheeldrive (01-08-2019), Ultramaroon (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 02:43 AM   #634
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
What the fuck is this shit? From the recall notice I just got in the mail today:

"What if you live in California and do not have this Safety Recall Campaign performed? The state of California requires the completion of Safety Recalls / Service Campaigns on emission related parts prior to vehicle registration renewal. In addition, the State requires that every vehicle must pass an emission test (SMOG Check) every two years and before it is sold. Without the completion of this FREE Safety Recall Campaign the California Air Resources Board (CARB) will not allow your vehicle to be registered. State of California Regulations require Toyota to provide the Department of Motor Vehicles with a record of all vehicles that have not had the Safety Recall Campaign completed. Your Toyota dealer will provide you with a Vehicle Emission Recall Proof of Correction Form after the campaign has been completed. Please ensure you retain this form, because the DMV may require that you supply proof that the campaign has been completed during your vehicle registration renewal process."

So, now they are trying to spin this recall like it's somehow emissions related - maybe because it requires flashing the ECU to the latest factory tune while the car is in for service? And thus, it is now "required" to have this recall performed because otherwise you won't be able to register the car in CA?

Or, they are just putting this general notice for emissions related recalls in to this notice in hopes that people will get it performed? What the hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 04:45 AM   #635
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
What the fuck is this shit? From the recall notice I just got in the mail today:

"What if you live in California and do not have this Safety Recall Campaign performed? The state of California requires the completion of Safety Recalls / Service Campaigns on emission related parts prior to vehicle registration renewal. In addition, the State requires that every vehicle must pass an emission test (SMOG Check) every two years and before it is sold. Without the completion of this FREE Safety Recall Campaign the California Air Resources Board (CARB) will not allow your vehicle to be registered. State of California Regulations require Toyota to provide the Department of Motor Vehicles with a record of all vehicles that have not had the Safety Recall Campaign completed. Your Toyota dealer will provide you with a Vehicle Emission Recall Proof of Correction Form after the campaign has been completed. Please ensure you retain this form, because the DMV may require that you supply proof that the campaign has been completed during your vehicle registration renewal process."

So, now they are trying to spin this recall like it's somehow emissions related - maybe because it requires flashing the ECU to the latest factory tune while the car is in for service? And thus, it is now "required" to have this recall performed because otherwise you won't be able to register the car in CA?

Or, they are just putting this general notice for emissions related recalls in to this notice in hopes that people will get it performed? What the hell.
I mean .. technically it isn't wrong ... if the engine isn't working then there's no emissions
Old 01-08-2019, 06:59 AM   #636
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:

OMG!
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:18 AM   #637
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Well shit. I better call the dealer then. Insurance snafus stopped the DMV from registering my car, though I paid the fee, and I have a scheduled registration visit. Fuuuck.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:30 AM   #638
ScionWolf

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Well just dropped off the car and to my dismay, service advisor says I'm the first in the area to do so. They say they'll need the car till Friday since the engine needs to come out(which we all already knew). Gave me a Tacoma as a loaner. I'll get with the tech after the fact and glean as much about the process as he'll tell me.
ScionWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ScionWolf For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 08:37 AM   #639
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Well shit. I better call the dealer then. Insurance snafus stopped the DMV from registering my car, though I paid the fee, and I have a scheduled registration visit. Fuuuck.
For what it's worth, I scheduled my appointment a while before I got my letter. If you own the vehicle, and it is listed as having the open recall, they'll do the work.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:28 AM   #640
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
For what it's worth, I scheduled my appointment a while before I got my letter. If you own the vehicle, and it is listed as having the open recall, they'll do the work.
It's just a timing concern.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:06 AM   #641
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
It's just a timing concern.
The recall is open ended, there's no rush to get it completed if that's why you're worried. I had a 2002 WRX with a recall from 06 or 07 that I had taken care of in 2015 - still no questions asked.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 10:11 AM   #642
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:

Nowhere in the recall fix instructions does it say to reflash to a newer tune.
At least not that I saw when I read it.

So I have no idea.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:12 AM   #643
Tvars

Drives: Firestorm
Hey everyone,
Got my recall letter in the mail today…

I currently have a UEL OFH installed with the UEL header tune. Should I reflash to a stock tune?

Wouldn’t this set off the engine light? and would the dealership not do the work once they see there this an aftermarket header installed?

Would the dealership replace with spark plugs since i am due anyways?
Tvars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:21 AM   #644
microSDHC

Drives: '13 FR-S 6AT (Argento)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvars View Post
Hey everyone,
Got my recall letter in the mail today…

I currently have a UEL OFH installed with the UEL header tune. Should I reflash to a stock tune?

Wouldn’t this set off the engine light? and would the dealership not do the work once they see there this an aftermarket header installed?

Would the dealership replace with spark plugs since i am due anyways?

I have an aftermarket header, oil cooler, and OFT tune and didn’t bother reverting to stock. We’ll see how it goes. I asked them to replace the spark plugs as well and they said they’d be able to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
microSDHC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to microSDHC For This Useful Post:
Tvars (01-08-2019)