follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 01-14-2016, 05:26 PM   #883
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo86 View Post
I will order mine by the end of january and i will take a tune from delicious tuning because i live in france and we have 98ron octane gas here... i will dyno it after the install, i've dyno it before, results are in my computer. I will put here the 2 results on the same graf, so you will see how much more horsepower and torque i get from this supercharger with the delicious tuning tune on ron98.
I'm mostly interested in driveability and the racerom features more so than dyno figures (don't really care, I'm already happy with the "feel" of the car), but your impressions are appreciated either way

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
I'm doubtful that any strut bar will fit. when you install the e-force, you even have to remove the hood liner to provide clearance. so, unless the strut bar also requires the hood liner to be removed, it's probably not going to clear the supercharger.
^Agreed. Just about any strut bar that goes across the engine bay and over the intake manifold wouldn't work. The only one that remotely might work is the STI strut bar, since it "goes around" the manifold, but even that may not clear.

BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:01 PM   #884
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I'm doubtful that any strut bar will fit. when you install the e-force, you even have to remove the hood liner to provide clearance. so, unless the strut bar also requires the hood liner to be removed, it's probably not going to clear the supercharger.
The Sprintex kit also requires the hood liner removal. Too bad you don't live close to me otherwise we could slap it on. If anyone in my area has the Edlebrock and wants to try them I'm happy to assist.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:13 PM   #885
Paulo86

Drives: Toyota GT86 euro version
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
I'm mostly interested in driveability and the racerom features more so than dyno figures (don't really care, I'm already happy with the "feel" of the car), but your impressions are appreciated either way
I drive an at, i think ecutek won't have any racerom features for me ^^
I already have flat foot shifting and auto blip stock ^^ but for launch control as we no it's dead for me ..
Paulo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:12 PM   #886
sam69

Drives: GT 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockysnail View Post
The Sprintex kit also requires the hood liner removal. Too bad you don't live close to me otherwise we could slap it on. If anyone in my area has the Edlebrock and wants to try them I'm happy to assist.
The hood lining doesn't need to be removed for the Sprintex kit you only need to cut a hole in it where the pulley is.
sam69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:09 PM   #887
tracerit

Drives: '13 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Are there any preparations one should check to before getting boosted? I had a leak (timing chain cover area) due to weak factory sealant that has been fixed. In the back of my mind, I feel like my engine has been "compromised" a bit and just isn't the same. Would an engine oil analysis provide any reassurances?

I'll be taking a look under the car hopefully next weekend to make sure there aren't any leaks, I have no reason to believe there to be any however.

The cam plate seems to be a weak area of the engine as well, would replacing this with say the Raceseng cam plate as preventative maintenance be of any worth?
tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:09 PM   #888
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
Are there any preparations one should check to before getting boosted? I had a leak (timing chain cover area) due to weak factory sealant that has been fixed. In the back of my mind, I feel like my engine has been "compromised" a bit and just isn't the same. Would an engine oil analysis provide any reassurances?

I'll be taking a look under the car hopefully next weekend to make sure there aren't any leaks, I have no reason to believe there to be any however.

The cam plate seems to be a weak area of the engine as well, would replacing this with say the Raceseng cam plate as preventative maintenance be of any worth?
Probably the best prep is to have your mechanic do a thorough look over your car/engine. I wouldn't worry too much about the cover leak if its fixed. An oil analysis really just tells you is how much more life is left in the oil and maybe any traces of metals, which could mean anywhere from normal engine break-in to your oil failing.

From what I've read about the cam plates, due to the way they seal it, it either leaks or it doesn't. I have the stock cam plate and have had no problems with it. I'd skip on the cam plate if I were you.

Of course, its your car, do your research and make your own educated decisions. I'm no expert, I'm just some guy on the internet
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
ajc209 (01-18-2016), tracerit (01-17-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 11:37 PM   #889
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyForSale View Post
Hey everybody.

Ok so long story short I installed my brand new Supercharger on my 2013 Manual FRS.

We triple checked everything we did, were super careful,etc. So I don't believe anything is done incorrectly. BUT, we are unsure of which Tune to use. I tried every "US BRZ MANUAL" Tune there was, but no luck. The car will turn over, fire and then stall out, almost like it does have the right tune.

If @Edelbrock LLC or anyone else could respond with how you learned which tune to use, that would be appreciated.
Did your vendor provide you with the tune for your car? If not, please email the following to sales at counterspacegarage.com

Ecutek Dongle ID
Ecutek Registration code
Copy of your invoice for the purchase of the kit

We will supply you with the tune.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Edelbrock LLC (02-08-2016), phm14 (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 04:37 PM   #890
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
@JellyForSale just checking in...
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:48 PM   #891
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
When I first got the kit installed in December, I noticed the throttle wasn't as responsive accelerating from a stop in the first couple thousand RPMs as before I got the kit. Figured the ECU needs to relearn throttle mapping and fix itself (also did the dead pedal fix procedure which I've done years ago when I installed an intake and noticed the procedure made a difference). But last night I drove a friend's stock FR-S and it is clear that his car was more smooth and responsive from take off. My car still has noticeably less response during the lull than his car followed by a surge of power/torque. This is with the smog tune. Are others seeing this?
@NotSoJDM, @BigFatFlip, @shiumai

Last edited by switchlanez; 02-09-2016 at 10:09 PM.
switchlanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:53 PM   #892
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
When I first got the kit installed in December, I noticed the throttle wasn't as responsive accelerating from a stop in the first couple thousand RPMs as before I got the kit. Figured the ECU needs to relearn throttle mapping and fix itself (also did the dead pedal fix procedure which I've done years ago when I installed an intake and noticed the procedure made a difference). But last night I drove a friend's stock FR-S and it is clear that his car was more smooth and responsive from take off. My car still has a noticeably less response during a lull followed by a surge of power/torque. Are others seeing this?
Yup, I've had trouble with smooth take offs ever since installing the s/c. Not sure if it's something wrong with my install, tune related, or s/c related though. If I take it extra slow, I find modulation is easier. When I do a normal/quick take off, I usually end up bogging slightly and then a surge of power. I'm sure it looks like a newbie driving stick from outside the car.
djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:58 PM   #893
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
Are others seeing this?
@NotSoJDM, @BigFatFlip, @shiumai
I have an auto, so no stalling or lull. I just didn't notice much increase in throttle response below 2k rpm after the SC install; but then i didn't expect to. it just feels pretty much like it did before. definitely no worse. maybe i should do the dead pedal thing and see what happens?

i'm wondering whether i don't notice it because i seldom launch it from a standing start - i just meander off the line then floor it. it really does come alive after about 3k rpm.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:00 AM   #894
86fun

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I have this exact behavior as well, but I recently found my manifold gasket was damaged during install, so I'm in the process of replacing them and will have results soon to see if that's what the problem was. If so, you guys might have a clue that something similar happened to yours. If not, well then, we keep searching, or maybe just that's the way it is with this kit.
86fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:01 AM   #895
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Quote:
i'm wondering whether i don't notice it because i seldom launch it from a standing start - i just meander off the line then floor it.
I'm not launching it either. Applying 1/4 to 1/3 throttle like for everyday civilized driving I notice a momentary lull compared to none in my friend's stock FR-S below ~2.5k RPMs.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:44 AM   #896
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Also, the lull has become very subtle and I didn't think anything of it these past few months. That's because it improved with the ECU adjusting over time til I accepted it as back to normal. I could never tell whether the response fully adjusted all the way back to normal til I drove my friend's FR-S last night. It should have adjusted by now but there is still a difference.

Tags
boost, byebye jackson racing, e-force, edelbrock, forced induction, supercharger