follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-26-2018, 08:51 AM   #1
DigitalVeil92

Drives: Maybe 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Do I need 2 resonators?

Hi all,

So I have a TRD catback sitting around waiting to install. When I do, I’d also like to change out the front pipe to an Invidia Catless front pipe. The only thing is, I can’t decide if I should get the one with the resonator, or without. The TRD midpipe already has a resonator, so I’m wondering what I should do here. I want a decently smooth tone (not too raspy) but I also want some decent volume out of it.

Will it still sound smooth with just 1 resonator in the mid pipe? Would the Invidia resonator even make it quieter? Need a little advice!

Thanks in advance!
DigitalVeil92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:57 AM   #2
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Install the catback WITH stock front pipe and druve the car for a while then swap the front pipe for catless front pipe and lets see if you like it
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:11 AM   #3
Fred E

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
A general rule of thumb is that if you don't want your exhaust to sound god awful, keep it at least either resonated or catted (or both). If you're eventually going to get a catless header, you're most likely going to miss not having the second resonator since the front pipe is also catless.

Additionally, resonators don't directly reduce volume; they're mainly for refining the exhaust note by cancelling certain sound frequencies (usually the terrible ones). The muffler handles the volume by muffling all sound frequencies.

The TRD catback is already rather mild sounding compared to other options so having a raspy sound is unlikely regardless. However, replacing the front pipe (whether it's catted, resonated, or both) is already going to increase volume over the stock piece regardless of cats/resonators. Unfortunately, I can't actually give you a suggestion, but I figured I'd give you a bit more info on resonators to help you make your decision. I highly suggest making an informed decision rather than taking anyone else's word on what they think sounds good, because they could have a full replacement exhaust with no cats, resonators, or mufflers and say it sounds amazing.
Fred E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:37 AM   #4
DigitalVeil92

I do eventually plan on going Catless header so I might get the second resonator then. I eventually want to get the whole FT86SpeedFactory daily rage package and that has both resonators. Just going with the front pipe for now cause I picked up the TRD exhaust for $100, lol. Good cheap short term option. Just wondering about people’s experience with the Invidia resonated front pipe in particular, and how that sounds. I definitely want a smooth clean sound for right now, just want it mildly loud enough too. Thanks for the advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
Install the catback WITH stock front pipe and druve the car for a while then swap the front pipe for catless front pipe and lets see if you like it
Well I know for sure I want to get rid of the cat, it’s the resonator I’m not sure if I want or not. So I gotta make a choice of which one to order
Old 03-28-2018, 08:22 PM   #5
DigitalVeil92

Bump. Still seeking a little more input
Old 03-28-2018, 08:31 PM   #6
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I would go with something resonated if you plan on doing a header of any kind in the future. These cars get obnoxiously loud for some reason when you uncork them, and not usually in a good way.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:10 PM   #7
KMA KiCKz
Certified Wumbologist

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I recommend going with the resonated version. I had a setup of a catted UEL & catback and I also had the same setup plus a resonated catless fp. There definitely was a difference in sound, which made it sound a little more raspy-er but just enough for my taste.
KMA KiCKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:49 AM   #8
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I wouldn't think of the TRD mid pipe resonator as something that'll reduce the noise level much. It's probably more of a sound-tuning resonator. If you just want it "mildly loud", definitely get a resonated front pipe. Or even a double-resonated one depending on your other exhaust parts.

As far as Invidia goes, their 'quiet' exhausts have been known to get louder over time as the muffler packing material degrades. Not saying the front pipe will do the same, but just keep this in mind when choosing your exhaust brands. Some brands are less expensive for a reason.
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote