follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-20-2016, 08:59 PM   #239
Shinchu

Drives: 2016 FR-S Asphault MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
i just got this along with the regular cold air intake (not the big maf). WHOA!!! world of difference in both power and sound! okay maybe like 4hp on the butt dyno but its a gain! fits great but the only thing that worries me is how close the silicone is to the alternator belt. that soft, supple silicone... ahem! anwyay... yeah i will be keeping an eye on that and make sure it doesnt slip or shift around and cut itself up on the belt.
one more thing is new clamps would be nice as the OEM hose to box clamp was BARELY big enough to fit ont he new hose to CAI pipe.

GREAT product overall, though! and the airflow sensor fit in the perrin unit perfectly!
the sound is amazing. oh and i accidentally removed the sound tube at the firewall while trying to loosen then clamp at the frame *BOINK* it just popped out and i said well i guess that part is done lol
good to know about the cap in the glove box. is that only suby that provides that? will have to check my scion when i get off work tomorrow.

so far Perrin gets 5 stars from me!

http://www.poweredbymax.net/
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:47 AM   #240
Slade

Drives: 14 Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just got my hose used from a guy who was parting out his car. ($50 bucks) Gonna install this weekend, seems like a simple install so I'm excited, just two questions, because I bought it used I didn't get the 5/8 vacuum plug for the sound tube, will anyone work? Also the inlet hose removes the intake resonator? Is that ok for the car?
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:31 AM   #241
bababooey

Drives: BRZ SWP Limited -6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The resonator comes off of the filter box of the intake. My broke off and I havent replaced the box portion, but I did cap it so no unfiltered air makes it into the engine. You may find varying answered concerning the resonators requirement. I wouldnt suspect it will destroy your engine as aftermarket intakes do not have that component, BUT ive got my fingers crossed as well. ha
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bababooey For This Useful Post:
JohnJuan (06-17-2016), Slade (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 03:17 PM   #242
Slade

Drives: 14 Limited BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
The resonator comes off of the filter box of the intake. My broke off and I havent replaced the box portion, but I did cap it so no unfiltered air makes it into the engine. You may find varying answered concerning the resonators requirement. I wouldnt suspect it will destroy your engine as aftermarket intakes do not have that component, BUT ive got my fingers crossed as well. ha
Haha thanks for the response.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:15 AM   #243
BuffDriver

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Old thread bump but I decided that with Perrins current clearance sale to buy the tube and drop in filter to go along with the exhaust mods I have. Was glad to get blue tube for blue car. And was planning to delete the sound generator 'real soon now', like this week. Had planned to go out in my shop and machine a plastic plug with angled end to match inside curve of stock intake, this is easier and all around better!
As per the resonator delete, I was told by a reliable, knowledgeable old motorhead that used to work for AJ's team here locally that it was just another part of the 'sound' system and did not have any effect on engine performance. {Wow, guess I'll believe it since it did not come from the internet! HaHa}
Edelbrock SC kit w/ ECUtek tune, Oil Cooler, UEL catted header, Perrin 2.5 Overpipe n Catted midpipe, 3.0 Catback resonated (all exhst ceramic coated), TRD short shifter, MTEC clutch n trans springs, Trans: Pentosin MTF2, Diff: Motul 75W90, Whiteline trans bushing, 3/4" clutch slave cyl., Ferodo DS2500 pads w/Motul 600 fluid, 17x8 wheels n 235/45ZR-17 tires
BuffDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BuffDriver For This Useful Post:
Nothingman (02-24-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 08:19 AM   #244
Qc86

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 M6
I added the inlet on my 2017 86 and I have to say Holly shit my car is so quiet now lol good thing I have my invidia n1 coming this week. The other thing is that the fit wasn't really good, I feel like on the 2017 to fit the airbox the inlet would have need to be 1 cm longer on the airbox side, I had to king the inlet and the airbox to get it fit, once clamped the airbox is sticking out a little bit and you can see the foam between the airbox and snorkel.

Last edited by Qc86; 02-20-2017 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Pic added
Qc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #245
BRZ FTW

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qc86 View Post
I added the inlet on my 2017 86 and I have to say Holly shit my car is so quiet now lol good thing I have my invidia n1 coming this week. The other thing is that the fit wasn't really good, I feel like on the 2017 to fit the airbox the inlet would have need to be 1 cm longer on the airbox side, I had to king the inlet and the airbox to get it fit, once clamped the airbox is sticking out a little bit and you can see the foam between the airbox and snorkel.
Your image isn't showing inline but I was able to open it directly. You should consider taking that Perrin intake tube off since it's putting that much strain on the stock box it may cause bigger issues in the future.

BRZ FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:12 PM   #246
Qc86

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ FTW View Post
Your image isn't showing inline but I was able to open it directly. You should consider taking that Perrin intake tube off since it's putting that much strain on the stock box it may cause bigger issues in the future.

Thanks for the pic sorry I'm new to the forum. I'll just consider getting a perrin CAI instead of taking off the inlet, anyway i dont see how it could cause issue since its not putting that much stress on it
Qc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:58 PM   #247
Nothingman

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffDriver View Post
Old thread bump but I decided that with Perrins current clearance sale to buy the tube and drop in filter to go along with the exhaust mods I have. Was glad to get blue tube for blue car. And was planning to delete the sound generator 'real soon now', like this week. Had planned to go out in my shop and machine a plastic plug with angled end to match inside curve of stock intake, this is easier and all around better!
As per the resonator delete, I was told by a reliable, knowledgeable old motorhead that used to work for AJ's team here locally that it was just another part of the 'sound' system and did not have any effect on engine performance. {Wow, guess I'll believe it since it did not come from the internet! HaHa}
Ordered mine today, $70 Brand new in box is hard to pass up (for the blue), I would rather have the black, but went the cheaper route (Black/Red $95). Thanks for the heads-up on the sale @BuffDriver !
Nothingman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nothingman For This Useful Post:
Exrald (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 12:54 AM   #248
Exrald

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS & 2022 GR86
Would this affect smog checks tho? I know that anything done before the CAT has to be carb legal. I'm about to get a CARB Legal Perrin CAI. Hopefully that would suffice...

Also does the CAI come with the sticker?
@PERRIN_Chris
Exrald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:09 AM   #249
Lantana frs

Drives: 13 frs red
I would think that the airbox/ snorkel interface is rather important. Especially when underhood temps are high.
Lantana frs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantana frs For This Useful Post:
Exrald (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 03:28 AM   #250
tracerit

Drives: '13 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exrald View Post
Would this affect smog checks tho? I know that anything done before the CAT has to be carb legal. I'm about to get a CARB Legal Perrin CAI. Hopefully that would suffice...

Also does the CAI come with the sticker?
@PERRIN_Chris
it does, if not you can always email them
tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tracerit For This Useful Post:
Exrald (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #251
Exrald

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS & 2022 GR86
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
It has the sticker? Awesome! I'll​ order it now!

2013 Scion FRS @Exrald.frs
Exrald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:59 AM   #252
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Mine did not have any sort of CARB exemption sticker that came with it, but perhaps that has changed now?

However, my understanding is that this is indeed NOT CARB legal since you are modifying something AFTER the location of the MAF sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote