follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 10-10-2014, 01:46 PM   #7687
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Nice going!

I'm sure you have lots of this stuff, but this is what most comes to mind.
1. Captions/call-outs with arrows pointing at notables would be great.

2. Most logical order of installation (specifically where you noted about wiring the batteries in series to prevent arching).

3. Best practice for attaching the controller to the engine bay with the provided bolts and rubber grommet.

4. Best practice for attaching the compressor to the factory airbox for near flush fit and aligning it with the TB(?) to ensure proper fit and airflow.

5. Highlight (once again) securing the arm switch/voltmeter display wires well away from the overpipe (including myself I think there were 3 maybe 4 failures here).

6. ESC boot up audible indicatiors (just the correct state and fault code "beep" series (if you can re-create it for the video).

7. The process for resetting "DR Sensor" (i.e. where and when to blow).

8. Minimal uninstall for "on-road" use <cough dealer visit>

9. List of necessary tools and their dimensions (for wrenches/sockets).

10. A non vertigo-inducing shot of the throttle pedal switch mounting point.

11. You running against a stock '86 if anyone cares to volunteer

That's about it for now. I'll PM if anything else comes to mind.

All of this is easy except for 10. I'm going to have to figure that one out.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (10-10-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 03:12 PM   #7688
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
My biggest "do not" would be: do not forget to tie wrap the harness away from the exhaust manifold (header). Or it will get melted.

Yeah, I saw a couple of those pictures with melted wires. That's why I slid the wire loom for the petal switch, all the way down to the growl tube hole. Between the sharp edges of the metal around that area, and the heat from the exhaust, it seemed like it needed the protection there, rather than up near the controller. Later I'll have to get some more loom to cover the wire the rest of the way to the controller which will hide the splice near the connector.

another thing I think should be with the unit, or even in Sojhinns video would be a list of voltage readings and what they mean. like the normal full/charging voltage displayed; the voltages displayed at faults, voltages displayed when you have a bad dump pack.. etc.
DAEMANO (10-10-2014), R2 (10-12-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #7689
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target70 View Post
another thing I think should be with the unit, or even in Sojhinns video would be a list of voltage readings and what they mean. like the normal full/charging voltage displayed; the voltages displayed at faults, voltages displayed when you have a bad dump pack.. etc.
This is a good idea. It has be discussed a couple times.

Rob has the charged voltage on his website I believe but not the failed or incorrectly installed voltages of the system.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (10-10-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #7690
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Ill add it to the video but I would like to get the actual numbers (I've got an idea) for everything to play it safe.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
DAEMANO (10-10-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #7691
Robftss

Drives: VW
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target70 View Post
This info is on the website.

Download and print the 3 PDF's under 'Install Manuals' in the BRZ/FRS section.
Robftss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robftss For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (10-10-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 04:43 PM   #7692
Target70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robftss View Post
This info is on the website.

Download and print the 3 PDF's under 'Install Manuals' in the BRZ/FRS section.

Ok cool, I used the install version 3 PDF, and Sojhinn's video, but I didn't check the wiring layout PDF.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #7693
Blu-by-U
Some Dumb Guy

Drives: wanting an Acabian
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Parts are on the truck to be delievered today. @DAEMANO What did you want me to add to the video? Im going to be redoing the full install so its going to be fun. I get to reinstall for the fourth time. Woot woot.

If the time ever comes that I decide to order one, you can visit me during the her garage queen time (winter).
Old 10-11-2014, 02:11 AM   #7694
Target70

Initial test run data log. These numbers are not exact since I closed datazap already, but on my last log, I tested a 3rd gear run, setup is OFH, OFT E85, K&N, IAT was 77F at start down to ~70 by end of pull. Time log from ~2100 rpm to ~7200 rpm 10.6 seconds.

Phantom ESC test run: OFH, Phantom ESC, 1.0 dump pack new batteries, OFT E85/w 1gallon 93, K&N, IAT 88F at start down to 78 by end of pull. Time log from ~2100 rpm to ~7200 rpm 8.6 seconds.

That is 2 seconds faster with 10 degree higher IAT's. Unfortunately I think the OFT is glitching because my Boost log just shows 0 the whole time, hopefully it will get sorted out so I can see what kind of pressure it's pushing. If my 2nd dump pack, + conditioned batteries will get me another .5 seconds off, I should be looking at about 4 seconds quicker than stock.

The engagement might take some getting used to, due to the ~1 second lag. Honestly it feels like I am driving an automatic, because when I floor it, It revs but does nothing for a second, then the car "downshifts" and I start scooting, I think that's the best way I can think to describe the feeling. Driving in mid rpms in lower gears is addictive, It has less of the lag, but engagement doesn't really feel any less pronounced, you just have power and more power. I haven't tried acceling out of a corner yet but will when I get used to engagement.

I had a few FLKC events, but my ADV multiplier stayed at 1. AFR spiked some to ~15 to 16, especially 3rd gear 2000rpm WOT. Other than that, everything looks good so far.
DAEMANO (10-11-2014), Robftss (10-11-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 03:23 AM   #7695
GTO5005

Drives: White Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Installed it tonight, Current Setup E85, Borla Headers, TRD Exhaust, Shiv's Off the Shelf v2.01 Beta OFH+ESC with 1.5 Dump Pack Upgrade [USDM only].

First Off, I am extremely impressed. Very smooth power, the install was so easy we thought we did it wrong (I had very over qualified help, but he wanted to add the install to his portfolio) we basically did the whole install from the YouTube video(So good job on that, its unfortunate that so many criticized the product's validity when you were only trying to help future buyers...). The red gauge was a very nice touch from the green one I have seen in the videos.

As far as WOT below 2k, listen to fenton, it doesn't sound pleasant and you will quickly learn not to do that.

Test Drive: After some freeway driving and 4/5 lights I ran I literally a perfect scenario. I was at a light and I can neither confirm nor deny the following a 2013 Wrx (which I have been using as a bench mark) pulled up next to me. Neither of us launched, at about 10mph we started WOT, we were pretty much dead even pace, at alleged 60 mph, I had a slight pull, 70 he slowed down to turn. Though not incredibly scientific, it gave a very good "rough" idea over stock of where this car is now. I'm not saying you'll be lighting up wrxs at every light (at launch, we all know what would happen), but power lvl wise on e85 shivs tune with headers and exhaust is very capable of holding its own.

Afterthoughts: For how easy this is to install, for how cheap the overall cost is, and for how usable this power is with no big ticket supporting mods, its literally an untouchable mod. The guy who helped me install has been working on cars for 20 some years, and has had his frs turbo'd, supercharged, and is now going to LS2 swap, even said it put a grin on his face. Not that you really need anymore customer base with your growing line for this item, I was a skeptic with an open mind, and for what it is you've really out done yourself.

Suggestions: Really the only suggestion is to put the paper instructions in the box (was a hard copy supposed to be in there, and mine was just missing?) Not a big deal, but just saves some fumbling around when you have all the pieces out and and think they are some where in the packaging

Fenton and Rob, awesome design/future planning, good customer service, and thank you for making such a unique product happen.

-Griffin
GTO5005 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GTO5005 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (10-11-2014), Gums (10-11-2014), Robftss (10-11-2014), Sojhinn (10-11-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 04:10 AM   #7696
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
@Target70 & @GTO5005

Terrific first installation posts. Both anecdotes are crystal clear. You know, it's kind of hard to post the truth about the Phantom ESC and not sound like a fanboy (especially when running on e85). The ESC pros trump the cons by so much on the street that for the price, it's unbeatable (like GTO mentioned). But, it's just that good. Also don't forget that as the batteries condition and the ECU learns you're going to pull even harder. When you find yourselves in the most ideal conditions (cold air + warm batteries), watch out! If you have any cold weather starting issues, pump 2 gals of gasoline for every 9-10 gals of e85 and you're golden. Congrats to both of you!

@Target70
Glad you finally got your kit. Yes there is about ~500ms boost lag, still that's about ~500 to ~800ms faster than the boost lag on my GFs Turbo Abarth. So from a lag perspective, you're still ahead of the game. Your description of the mid-range is spot on with my experiences. That torque curve (plateau) is so addictive. Hard to stay off WOT. Be prepared for your fuel mileage to tank for a while till you can re-learn driving off the go pedal and short shifting again.

@GTO5005
Hahaha yes with your setup Evos and WRXs from a roll are pretty much no problem. I was told this by either the Easter bunny or the FSM (I don't remember whom) that also not a problem are any of the "2.0T" Audis, and Hyundais. General fat booty 300HP/3500+lbs sport model sedans (of any make). Si or ST badged Hondas and Fords. Any 3 or 4 series without an M on it. Non-S badged Caymans or Boxsters. Oh and S2ks, 350Zs, and G35/G37s get spanked on the regular (so I'm told ). That 2700 lbs + ~200WTQ @ ~3700 RPM = something greater than the sum of its' parts. Gotta love physics.

BTW... I have a very similar exhaust setup sans the borla header. Love the sound of my TRD exhaust. If you ever get a chance can you post a sound clip of your setup?
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:08 AM   #7697
GTO5005

Drives: White Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
@DAEMANO I will try to get some sound clips and video up today but I'm going to be pretty busy, so it will most likely happen Sunday. I think it sound really good, very subaru esq. It sounds clean without being too loud.
GTO5005 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GTO5005 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (10-12-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #7698
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO5005 View Post
@DAEMANO I will try to get some sound clips and video up today but I'm going to be pretty busy, so it will most likely happen Sunday. I think it sound really good, very subaru esq. It sounds clean without being too loud.

Great first impressions post.
@Target70 and gto thanks for the kind words on the install video. I will be updating it tomorrow.

Still trying to line up a stock frs or brz, anyone in San Diego want to help in that department?

Installed Mods:
Robftss (10-11-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 09:38 PM   #7699
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

So I'm done video recording the install. (Still need to edit.) things I haven't done:

comparison video.

Any chance anyone can get a drag race going between a stock car and a phantom and record it?

Dealer mode.

Anything else anyone wants?

Installed Mods:
Old 10-11-2014, 11:10 PM   #7700
VR46
are you Jeff Vader?

Drives: Black BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
All of this is easy except for 10. I'm going to have to figure that one out.
The picture does help, but as I recall I ended up doing it mostly by feel because it was so hard to try to smash my face into the general area and see anything.
VR46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive