follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 01-06-2022, 11:28 PM   #85
Midnightsky

Drives: 2022 BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
Randomly stumbled upon this. Comments suggest cause it not found yet.

That's over on the GR86 forum in the Subaru section. The Subaru engineers have already been called into action on this one. They are throwing everything at it to resolve the issue.
Midnightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:50 PM   #86
AMS_Josh

Drives: 22’ BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehorsw View Post
Anyone gets a sloppy gear when in turn? I am having trouble changing from 3rd to 2nd during quick turns.. Did not have this problem on gen1. If someone in the area that has a gen2 can compare, I would appreciate. It may be a characteristic that I need to get used to, or find a solution.

Very used to MT, just had 1 AT vehicle in my life. Ran a bunch of vehicle testing, including semis…
I think we are having the same issue. Does it feel super notchy and almost feel like it won’t go into gear? I’ve had this issue when doing a 1-2 shift, while taking a turn
AMS_Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AMS_Josh For This Useful Post:
groovymoonbear (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 07:45 AM   #87
Rossman

Drives: '22 BRZ, '17 BRZ (prev '13 FR-S)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The CarPlay issue is kind of interesting (and annoying).

When I bought the car a month or so ago I had only a crappy old iphone 6 (yeah, still works!), and CarPlay was rock solid (if a bit slow).

I bought a new iphone se a couple days ago and, using the exact same cable (a new lightning->usb cable), CarPlay now randomly craps out (but it recovers on it's own). It's really annoying. No software update available for my head unit either.
Rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rossman For This Useful Post:
dsc_pat (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 09:45 AM   #88
Rossman

Just to follow up with my last post about CarPlay, I spoke to my dealer and they said they have heard complaints about this with iphones that have the Waze app installed. He suggested trying to remove it and seeing if that makes a difference.

For now I just went into CarPlay setup on the iphone and customized it to remove waze from the list of available apps. I will see if that works before trying to remove Waze altogether.

Just wondered if other people out there with the CarPlay problem *also* have Waze installed? @emce @diga
Old 01-07-2022, 09:58 AM   #89
SpectreRT

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossman View Post
Just to follow up with my last post about CarPlay, I spoke to my dealer and they said they have heard complaints about this with iphones that have the Waze app installed. He suggested trying to remove it and seeing if that makes a difference.

For now I just went into CarPlay setup on the iphone and customized it to remove waze from the list of available apps. I will see if that works before trying to remove Waze altogether.

Just wondered if other people out there with the CarPlay problem *also* have Waze installed? @emce @diga
Android here, and not a waze user. I've not had a connection issue to date. So they may be onto something...?

Good luck with getting it figured out.
SpectreRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 10:20 AM   #90
Stonehorsw

Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMS_Josh View Post
I think we are having the same issue. Does it feel super notchy and almost feel like it won’t go into gear? I’ve had this issue when doing a 1-2 shift, while taking a turn
Yes, similar issue. Good to know that, I may take to dealership, but before I wanna make sure I can reproduce the issue consistently.

I will verify either if turning left or right makes difference, and G level. Any other suggestion?

Are you planning on taking yours too?
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stonehorsw For This Useful Post:
groovymoonbear (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 10:38 AM   #91
PhatFreshPrince

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited SBP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I am seeing disconnect issues with CarPlay. I have an iPhone and do NOT have the Waze app installed.
The most common issue I am seeing is it will connect to CarPlay for 1 second and then disconnect for 1 second and then reconnect and get in a bad loop.
Today is was connected to CarPlay for about 20 minutes on the way to work and the just disconnect and did NOT reconnect.
I think the head unit needs a software update. Mine is at version F41CMM101-880.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PhatFreshPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PhatFreshPrince For This Useful Post:
Rossman (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 01:05 PM   #92
Rossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatFreshPrince View Post
I am seeing disconnect issues with CarPlay. I have an iPhone and do NOT have the Waze app installed.
The most common issue I am seeing is it will connect to CarPlay for 1 second and then disconnect for 1 second and then reconnect and get in a bad loop.
Today is was connected to CarPlay for about 20 minutes on the way to work and the just disconnect and did NOT reconnect.
I think the head unit needs a software update. Mine is at version F41CMM101-880.

Thanks for posting your experience! Initially I had a lot of trouble pairing my new iphone to the car but now that part works great, it just drops out periodically for like 30-60seconds, then recovers
Old 01-07-2022, 01:13 PM   #93
groovymoonbear

Drives: ‘22 CWP BRZ LTD 6MT
Quote:
Thanks for posting your experience! Initially I had a lot of trouble pairing my new iphone to the car but now that part works great, it just drops out periodically for like 30-60seconds, then recovers
I have the same issues with CarPlay - I work for Apple and unfortunately this is one of the symptoms of a bunch of different companies having different head units and them being designed to work with ALL iPhones.

Silver lining is that for a Subaru, 30-60 seconds of it cutting out every now and then is better than my Forester which would randomly disconnect and would not reconnect unless you turned the vehicle on / off.

If you’re noticing the CarPlay issue happening more often, it could be a runtime issue with your iPhone so I’d recommend trying to turn it off for about a minute then power it back on - this resets the cache of the devices firmware. Maybe turn it on / off once a day while brushing your teeth and I haven’t had it drop out within the last week - not a guarantee but has worked for me.
groovymoonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to groovymoonbear For This Useful Post:
Rossman (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 01:18 PM   #94
Rossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovymoonbear View Post
If you’re noticing the CarPlay issue happening more often, it could be a runtime issue with your iPhone so I’d recommend trying to turn it off for about a minute then power it back on - this resets the cache of the devices firmware. Maybe turn it on / off once a day while brushing your teeth and I haven’t had it drop out within the last week - not a guarantee but has worked for me.

That's great information, thank you. I will keep this in mind.
Old 01-07-2022, 01:21 PM   #95
groovymoonbear

Drives: ‘22 CWP BRZ LTD 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehorsw View Post
Yes, similar issue. Good to know that, I may take to dealership, but before I wanna make sure I can reproduce the issue consistently.

I will verify either if turning left or right makes difference, and G level. Any other suggestion?

Are you planning on taking yours too?
I’ve thought about mentioning it when I drop it off for it’s first oil change.

From my experience, the notching appears to be an over-sensitive “safety” feature to prevent us humans from grinding the gears. Not having had the previous gen, not sure if this is just common or not.

I’ve been able to defeat it in a few different scenarios - when driving downhill in 3rd and under 40 MPH, if you’re taking a sharper turn (left or right) it feels like you’re locked out of downshifting. My workaround here has been to drop under 30 MPH and re-actuate the clutch and it lets me drop into 2nd with just a little bit of resistance.

I’ll try and take a look at the G levels too, the other times I have issues with the gearbox trying to prevent downshifts is rolling to a stop sign in 2nd and trying to downshift to 1st before fully stopping. So probably between 10 MPH and 20 MPH it will just not listen. Most of the time I have to just fully stop and re-actuate the clutch and then there’s no issue. I assume this is by design as it’s probably best practice to not be able to drop into first accidentally while in motion but I wonder if you guys have noticed the same. Would be nice to just be able to stop in first with the clutch in and then immediately get off of the line.

These limitations feel more like it’s just the character of the gearbox and less of an “issue” but rather by design to prevent significant wear. I wonder if someone with the short shifter STI kit can weigh in on whether or not they experience the same issue.
groovymoonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to groovymoonbear For This Useful Post:
Stonehorsw (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 01:27 PM   #96
sds

Drives: '22 BRZ Limited 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovymoonbear View Post
I’ve thought about mentioning it when I drop it off for it’s first oil change.

From my experience, the notching appears to be an over-sensitive “safety” feature to prevent us humans from grinding the gears. Not having had the previous gen, not sure if this is just common or not.

I’ve been able to defeat it in a few different scenarios - when driving downhill in 3rd and under 40 MPH, if you’re taking a sharper turn (left or right) it feels like you’re locked out of downshifting. My workaround here has been to drop under 30 MPH and re-actuate the clutch and it lets me drop into 2nd with just a little bit of resistance.

I’ll try and take a look at the G levels too, the other times I have issues with the gearbox trying to prevent downshifts is rolling to a stop sign in 2nd and trying to downshift to 1st before fully stopping. So probably between 10 MPH and 20 MPH it will just not listen. Most of the time I have to just fully stop and re-actuate the clutch and then there’s no issue. I assume this is by design as it’s probably best practice to not be able to drop into first accidentally while in motion but I wonder if you guys have noticed the same. Would be nice to just be able to stop in first with the clutch in and then immediately get off of the line.

These limitations feel more like it’s just the character of the gearbox and less of an “issue” but rather by design to prevent significant wear. I wonder if someone with the short shifter STI kit can weigh in on whether or not they experience the same issue.
The gearbox is physically moving as G-forces load up, which is likely part of the issue. I'm not sure a short shifter would fix this, but I do think a stiffer trans mount would.
sds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sds For This Useful Post:
groovymoonbear (01-07-2022), Midnightsky (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 07:03 PM   #97
Midnightsky

Drives: 2022 BRZ WRB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sds View Post
The gearbox is physically moving as G-forces load up, which is likely part of the issue. I'm not sure a short shifter would fix this, but I do think a stiffer trans mount would.
Ensuring a "perfect" rev-match also helps big time with that. Definitely a stiffer mount will help, OEM is never stiff enough.
Midnightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 01:26 AM   #98
diga

Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Has anyone successfully programmed/registered a 5 digit numerical code for the trunk button to be able to unlock the car? There's instructions on page 100 in the manual which I'm following but can't get past step 3 - no intermittent chirp sound. I'm a runner and would like to occasionally leave the key fob inside my car while I go for a run.
diga is offline   Reply With Quote