follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-08-2018, 08:36 PM   #1
brzzy
@anthonysestito

Drives: 2013 Sterling Silver Metallic BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone ever open up/install the GCS V2 Brake/Reverse housing?

Didn’t realize I bought the v2 version but none the less the instructions were quite vague.

Tried to hook the brake/fog light into my previously installed Fn’ A fourth brake light kit to get the F1 style flash but it kept blowing the fuse so I yanked that out the chain. Now I’ve got black wire to ground and red wire to parking wire off stock harness - yellow wire, I plugged into brake & parking wire in stock harness and it yielded nothing for me.

My question is, is there a way to wire the fog light to operate both as a fog light (when parking lights are on) AND as a brake light? So slightly dimmer when fog and bright as brake?

Also, I totally hate the “U” shaped portion of the light. I can’t really tell if it’s lit up because the light from the fog light is bleeding into it, or if it’s power source was tied into the red wire? I assumed power to that portion came from the yellow wire. Regardless, I don’t want it, can the housing be opened up to remove them physically?

Should mention I have valentis as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IG: @ANTHONYSESTITO
brzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:57 PM   #2
sactownbwoy

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzzy View Post
Didn’t realize I bought the v2 version but none the less the instructions were quite vague.

Tried to hook the brake/fog light into my previously installed Fn’ A fourth brake light kit to get the F1 style flash but it kept blowing the fuse so I yanked that out the chain. Now I’ve got black wire to ground and red wire to parking wire off stock harness - yellow wire, I plugged into brake & parking wire in stock harness and it yielded nothing for me.

My question is, is there a way to wire the fog light to operate both as a fog light (when parking lights are on) AND as a brake light? So slightly dimmer when fog and bright as brake?

Also, I totally hate the “U” shaped portion of the light. I can’t really tell if it’s lit up because the light from the fog light is bleeding into it, or if it’s power source was tied into the red wire? I assumed power to that portion came from the yellow wire. Regardless, I don’t want it, can the housing be opened up to remove them physically?

Should mention I have valentis as well.

So what I did for mine was leave the middle as the brake and then opened it up and rewired the “u” to work as turn signals and brake light. The little triangle that flashes had some LEDS go out so I completely disconnected that portion and blacked it out.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:29 PM   #3
sactownbwoy

Here is a video of what I did.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:23 PM   #4
Firecruiser

Drives: 2014 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I opened mine to disconnect the brake light from the running lights. When i got it they were wired together so the triangle was on with the running lights and its wayyy to bright for that. I didn't see any immediate way to dim the triangle so that would take some more effort.

FYI the light opens like a headlight so heat the glue and work it open. Its not like the valenti ones that just unscrew.
Firecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:15 AM   #5
brzzy
@anthonysestito

Quote:
Originally Posted by sactownbwoy View Post
Here is a video of what I did.

Ok that’s awesome! Not what I want to do but I can certainly appreciate that - looks great!

Old 06-09-2018, 12:17 AM   #6
brzzy
@anthonysestito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecruiser View Post
I opened mine to disconnect the brake light from the running lights. When i got it they were wired together so the triangle was on with the running lights and its wayyy to bright for that. I didn't see any immediate way to dim the triangle so that would take some more effort.

FYI the light opens like a headlight so heat the glue and work it open. Its not like the valenti ones that just unscrew.

Hmm it looks like that back unscrews - it’s on the car now so I’ll have to give it a crack another day.

Did you see anyway to disconnect the running lights and just keep the brake light on? Did connecting the red wire (+ terminal of the brake light I assume) to the brake wire on the stock harness give you the triangle in the center as brake light? For some reason that didn’t work for me.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:04 AM   #7
sactownbwoy

Quote:
Hmm it looks like that back unscrews - it’s on the car now so I’ll have to give it a crack another day.

Did you see anyway to disconnect the running lights and just keep the brake light on? Did connecting the red wire (+ terminal of the brake light I assume) to the brake wire on the stock harness give you the triangle in the center as brake light? For some reason that didn’t work for me.

I connected the triangle to the third brake light, that way it is was only activated with the brakes
Old 06-11-2018, 07:05 AM   #8
Firecruiser

Quote:

I'm unsure of which color wire is which. One i connected to the running lights and it gave me the outside led bars and the triangle on with headlights on. The other i connected to the brake and it gave me the triangle as a flash then on solid. With or without headlights on. Only thing i didn't like was the triangle on with headlights as it is quite bright. So i opened it up and cut the jumper wire that was used.

This light was originally designed for an over seas market where they have a rear fog light and when they modified it for the us market they put a jumper between the running lights and brake light.

There are screws in the back that hold it together, but it also has glue and clips all the way around the outside. When i first opened mine i didn't realize it was glue and thought it was just the clips. The clear plastic is quite brittle so i broke a corner off my light. Thankfully, it wasn't large enough to prevent it from sealing and it is hidden by the bumper. Take your time, heat it up and work it apart.
The Following User Says Thank You to Firecruiser For This Useful Post:
brzzy (06-11-2018)
Old 06-06-2020, 10:37 AM   #9
ibdoa

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecruiser View Post
I'm unsure of which color wire is which. One i connected to the running lights and it gave me the outside led bars and the triangle on with headlights on. The other i connected to the brake and it gave me the triangle as a flash then on solid. With or without headlights on. Only thing i didn't like was the triangle on with headlights as it is quite bright. So i opened it up and cut the jumper wire that was used.

This light was originally designed for an over seas market where they have a rear fog light and when they modified it for the us market they put a jumper between the running lights and brake light.

There are screws in the back that hold it together, but it also has glue and clips all the way around the outside. When i first opened mine i didn't realize it was glue and thought it was just the clips. The clear plastic is quite brittle so i broke a corner off my light. Thankfully, it wasn't large enough to prevent it from sealing and it is hidden by the bumper. Take your time, heat it up and work it apart.
The jumper wire that is used, is it red? After trying to open up the housing so many times I decided to make a hole in the back and that i can seal up with pvc and waterproofing caulk.
ibdoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:51 PM   #10
Firecruiser

See my original thread here https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114970

There are some photos of the wiring in there.