follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 02-06-2018, 03:10 AM   #1
Hags86

Drives: Toyota GTS 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Does anyone make a decent - functional - splitter

Hi All

I'm in the market for a functional splitter. There are lots of nice cosmetic ones that don't interest me.

My requirements are:

- extend from in-front of the bumper lip all the way to the front wheels and across the underbody as one flat piece (like the APR one).

- be parallel to the ground (the APR one is just a flat board so follows the contour of the bumper which faces up about 30-40mm)

- be solid mounted at the front and back (happy to build brackets etc if required).

- ideally carbon but will to consider anything. Function over aesthetics...

Looking forward hearing your suggestions.
Hags86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:28 AM   #2
plucas

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hags86 View Post
Hi All

I'm in the market for a functional splitter. There are lots of nice cosmetic ones that don't interest me.

My requirements are:

- extend from in-front of the bumper lip all the way to the front wheels and across the underbody as one flat piece (like the APR one).

- be parallel to the ground (the APR one is just a flat board so follows the contour of the bumper which faces up about 30-40mm)

- be solid mounted at the front and back (happy to build brackets etc if required).

We offer 2 different ones at 2 different price points. Our first is our carbon composite splitter which is a carbon thermoplastic which can handle much more impacts than normal carbon. It can also be scraped across the ground with little damage.

https://www.verus-engineering.com/pr...front-splitter

Our other option is a plastic front splitter of similar design as the above. The difference is the material, mounting, and adjustability. Depending on the year, we have 2 options for fitment. We also recommend race upgrade for added strength.

https://www.verus-engineering.com/pr...litter-upgrade

Feel free to email us with any questions
sales@verus-enginnering.com
plucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:56 AM   #3
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Ater going off track with a body mount splitter and pulling the bumper cover off I decided to make my own out of 3/8ths plywood. and I made my own frame mount, so the splitter does mot attach to the body. Now if I were to go off track and dig a bunch of dirt the plywood splitter would just break apart with out hurting my body.
Attached Images

Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lunatic For This Useful Post:
arxm (10-26-2019), Hyper4mance2k (03-25-2018), Kenny_LongWrench (02-09-2018), Leonardo (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 10:06 AM   #4
Jonsey

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Probably the only off-the-shelf splitter I would run. Carbon, chassis mounted and plenty strong. https://www.86speed.com/products/mph...r-frs-brz.html

Like Lunatic, I have run both a plywood and corrugated plastic splitter as I consider them a disposable wear item and so don't want to pay for carbon.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:27 PM   #5
Hags86

I like your ideas @Lunatic and @jonesy. I'm doing something similar with the crash bar, oil coolers and shrouds.

But how do you get the splitter sitting parallel to ground? From what i can see the Verus, MPH, APR and home made designs all follow the contour of the underside of the bumper therefore taper up quite a bit. How would you seal that 30mm gap at the front if it was to be mounted parallel to the ground?

(@plucas I really like the Verus rear diffuser...)
Old 02-06-2018, 01:59 PM   #6
Lunatic

Quote:
I like your ideas @Lunatic and @jonesy. I'm doing something similar with the crash bar, oil coolers and shrouds.

But how do you get the splitter sitting parallel to ground? From what i can see the Verus, MPH, APR and home made designs all follow the contour of the underside of the bumper therefore taper up quite a bit. How would you seal that 30mm gap at the front if it was to be mounted parallel to the ground?

(@plucas I really like the Verus rear diffuser...)
I also have an aftermarket lip which helped in keeping the splitter flat.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:27 PM   #7
Hags86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
I also have an aftermarket lip which helped in keeping the splitter flat.
Which one?
Old 02-06-2018, 03:17 PM   #8
Jonsey

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Mine has a single fixed chassis mount at the back and then eight adjustable rods to allow me to make it parallel to the ground. I can add spacers if necessary to the rear mount to lower the splitter, but mine sits at a comfortable 3" everywhere based on my ride height. I then used plastic garden edging to build a dam between the bumper and splitter.

I believe the MPH one is similarly adjustable, but haven't verified.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:49 PM   #9
Hags86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
Mine has a single fixed chassis mount at the back and then eight adjustable rods to allow me to make it parallel to the ground. I can add spacers if necessary to the rear mount to lower the splitter, but mine sits at a comfortable 3" everywhere based on my ride height. I then used plastic garden edging to build a dam between the bumper and splitter.

I believe the MPH one is similarly adjustable, but haven't verified.
Could you please attach a photo of the air dam. This is the sort of thing I'll need.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:50 PM   #10
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hi All

My requirements are:

Verus Engineering, APR, and Wasp Composites are what comes to mind if you want function over form. There's a lot of info on the board. Search tool is your friend. Still if you need something custom, you may just better off making it yourself.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:15 PM   #11
dradernh

Drives: Used to Drive:Grand-Am GS #54 E36M3
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I had a custom unit made out of MDO. That's Medium Density Overlay, a plywood product with a resin-impregnated surface, typically used for outdoor signs.

The shop chose MDO because it was easy to work with, especially when it came to routing the bullnose into the leading edge of the splitter.

MDO is not light, but it's dimensionally very stable. When properly supported it will hold many hundreds of pounds of downforce without flexing. Mine was quite resilient - I used it for two years before selling the car on which it was mounted.

MDO also has a smooth surface that looks good when painted.
dradernh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:19 PM   #12
Lunatic

Quote:
Which one?
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/For-13-16-Sc....c100005.m1851
Old 02-06-2018, 08:31 PM   #13
Hags86

Unless a viable option turns up it looks like I'll try and make something custom. There are a number of off-the-shelf items and I'm happy to pay for them, but none sit parallel to the ground. So you either have it tapering upwards to the front (creating lift I guess) or end up needing to build a custom air dam to block the 30mm gap between the splitter and the bottom of the front lip. If I'm going to have to build something, then I may as well just build something.

My plan is to use 10mm marine plywood. I'll then build a wedge shaped dam attached to the splitter that blocks the gap and route a nice profile on the dam. Then carbon fibre skin the visible parts of the splitter. It won't be nearly as pretty at the commercial products, but it will sit flat and not have a gap.