follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-28-2017, 03:07 AM   #981
kzale1249

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by allowe View Post
You could've lost oil due to the rod going on u. Happened to my old spec v. Check your oil levels weekly from now on. It takes 10 seconds to do. As for the tune. I'm running the same tune as you but with an ofh specific tune. I doubt it's the tune because many would have had the same story. Keep us updated

Is it covered under warranty? If they say no, bitch and argue about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
my car is still covered under warranty so far, i just took the car in to toyota earlier this evening. I hope why wont find out i had OFT tunes. If they did found out, I'm sure they're going to b*tch about the fact that i had the tune and the tune caused the damages.

Anyways, thanks for the advice! greatly appreciated!
kzale1249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:05 AM   #982
allowe

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzale1249 View Post
my car is still covered under warranty so far, i just took the car in to toyota earlier this evening. I hope why wont find out i had OFT tunes. If they did found out, I'm sure they're going to b*tch about the fact that i had the tune and the tune caused the damages.

Was it used or new? You should've flashed it back to stock right away it only would've taken 10 minutes and peace of mind knowing the can't bitch

allowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:26 AM   #983
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzale1249 View Post

They might also say that you didn't check your oil levels frequently. Next time read the car's manual in detail.

Good luck!
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 04:49 AM   #984
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
This is not a warranty situation. A warranty is for manufacturing problems, not abuse of the car. You could have read the manual, paid attention to the forums, joined FB car groups or just paid attention to your car. You should have been more proactive in caring for your car. When you tune your car, you have to be a lot more careful and take care of stuff your self. The upkeep of a tuned car is a lot more of a PITA than a stock car.

If you go 1500 mi over your OCI with a tuned car- too bad. Why would Toyota cover that under warranty? Because you can't afford a new engine? Too bad snowflake, here's a lesson in life and it's going to be very expen$ive.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:25 AM   #985
LancePower

Drives: 2020 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Shouldn't he have gotten a Warning Light?

If not, that's a Manufacturer issue.
LancePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:33 AM   #986
allowe

Open Flash Tablet - OFT TIPS Trick’s & FAQ

Some people really like making others feel like shit hence why the world we live in sucks. @kzale1249 go to the dealership and play dumb and blame it on them. Your car has a warrenty for a reason. If it's used, don't admit to it being tuned. They might think it's the previous owner. Depending on whether you live in Canada or the US. There is a lemon law and Canada has CAMVAP. Don't pay a dime until you've exhausted every possibility. The oil warning light should've came on, if the car loses that much oil in that many kms, your car is either burning oil or leaking which are both "manufacturers defects" if you live in Ontario I can come with u to the dealership. I've dealt with bs like this before and I have friends who dealt with CAMVAP before. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.
Crap I didn't see where u were living. Well if you need anything man let me know. Sorry to hear about ur car!

The Following User Says Thank You to allowe For This Useful Post:
kzale1249 (05-01-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 08:08 AM   #987
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
To be down that much oil, I'd be looking for a leak somewhere.

That's a LOT of oil and it's not being burned!
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #988
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePower View Post
Shouldn't he have gotten a Warning Light?

If not, that's a Manufacturer issue.
Oil lights rarely give adequate warning in my experience, I also ran a car low on oil, I forgot to replace fill cap, luckily it was still sitting on the exhaust heat shield a week later after it sprayed 2+ quarts out the top. When the light came on it must have had <2 quarts left.

Some engines are designed with more durability for dumb owners, the FA20 isn't one of them.

Quote:
Some people really like making others feel like shit hence why the world we live in sucks. @kzale1249 go to the dealership and play dumb and blame it on them. Your car has a warrenty for a reason. If it's used, don't admit to it being tuned.
Ok, lets trash the people for being blunt and honest and suggest committing fraud.

People like you are why warranty claims get denied at the slightest hint they can get away with blaming the owner.

Edit: In all honesty I'd be surprised it magically burned that much oil, either a lazy dealership trying to pin it on a customer or it wasn't properly filled up last time. Regardless if you don't know the status of your oil it's their word against your nothing, SOL as far as I'm concerned.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:49 PM   #989
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Oil warning on a lot of JDM cars is a low pressure warning, usually triggered by virtually 0 pressure. By that time, it's too late. But bearing issues will likely make the light come on.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:08 PM   #990
allowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Oil lights rarely give adequate warning in my experience, I also ran a car low on oil, I forgot to replace fill cap, luckily it was still sitting on the exhaust heat shield a week later after it sprayed 2+ quarts out the top. When the light came on it must have had <2 quarts left.

Some engines are designed with more durability for dumb owners, the FA20 isn't one of them.

Ok, lets trash the people for being blunt and honest and suggest committing fraud.

People like you are why warranty claims get denied at the slightest hint they can get away with blaming the owner.

Edit: In all honesty I'd be surprised it magically burned that much oil, either a lazy dealership trying to pin it on a customer or it wasn't properly filled up last time. Regardless if you don't know the status of your oil it's their word against your nothing, SOL as far as I'm concerned.

Yea lets all shit on this mans day by stating the obvious on what he "should've" done....

Commit fraud? His car lost that much oil in such a small interval! Thats not fraud, that's a fuck up on whoever put oil in his car or it could even be a leak OR it could be burning oil. When I was shopping for my frs, I found one that had 40,000kms and only 1 oil chance on record. I immediately walked away from it but that ran like nothing ever happened ( and since you like stating the obvious, yes he could've done the oil change himself but I like everything to be documented).

Going back to the OP, check to see if Toyota did the last oil change. If so, you've got more ammo to fire at them with. Don't give up easily. Keep us updated, I'm dying to know how this will all play out.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:39 PM   #991
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Commit fraud? His car lost that much oil in such a small interval! Thats not fraud, that's a fuck up on whoever put oil in his car or it could even be a leak OR it could be burning oil.
Fuck no. That's the responsibility of the car owner (checking the oil level after a fill), you pull that dipstick before you roll out of the service center.

At the end of the day you only have control over one person, trust but verify.

However I do agree with you that he should see if Toyota will bear the responsibility, being 1.5k miles late on a 7.5k interval oil change with modern synthetic oil shouldn't destroy an engine and if it legitimately burned off 3+ quarts there is something wrong. I'd bet something unusual happened here, if I was a betting man I'd think your hunch is right and the knucklehead that did the last fill might have underfilled or it was leaking out the drain plug (i.e. double/no/reused crush washer) or something else.

Low oil absolutely would destroy an engine regardless if the car had 400,000 miles or 4 miles.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:44 PM   #992
allowe

Quote:
Fuck no. That's the responsibility of the car owner (checking the oil level after a fill), you pull that dipstick before you roll out of the service center.

At the end of the day you only have control over one person, trust but verify.

However I do agree with you that he should see if Toyota will bear the responsibility, being 1.5k miles late on a 7.5k interval oil change with modern synthetic oil shouldn't destroy an engine and if it legitimately burned off 3+ quarts there is something wrong. I'd bet something unusual happened here, if I was a betting man I'd think your hunch is right and the knucklehead that did the last fill might have underfilled or it was leaking out the drain plug (i.e. double/no/reused crush washer) or something else.

Low oil absolutely would destroy an engine regardless if the car had 400,000 miles or 4 miles.

Sorry if I seemed like a d*ck man. I would HATE to be in his position. I had the engine low on oil on my old Sentra spec v and threw a rod but lucky for me, I can take that block out and put one myself in less than a day and I got one for 500 USD.. also, I've never had someone work on my cars without screwing something up. Even my last oil change with Toyota. There was so much oil spilled in the engine bay, I could've fried some chicken on it lol.

Like @strat61caster said "trust but verify"

I really hope he figures out a way to put his twin back on the road. If I can help out in anyway, let me know!

The Following User Says Thank You to allowe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 02:57 PM   #993
strat61caster
-

Quote:
I've never had someone work on my cars without screwing something up. Even my last oil change with Toyota. There was so much oil spilled in the engine bay, I could've fried some chicken on it lol.
That's why I do my own work as well. I had to use an impact driver to get the drain plug off my mothers old car I've inherited, oil errywhere.

Old 04-28-2017, 03:14 PM   #994
allowe

Quote:
That's why I do my own work as well. I had to use an impact driver to get the drain plug off my mothers old car I've inherited, oil errywhere.

Jeez it must've been on pretty tight. I do my friend's cars and usually with a breaker bar, it comes right off. I'm just using up the free oil changes I got included with my deal (you can always squeeze something out of them) and finishing off my warranty with Toyota doing all my oil changes that way if anything screws up, it's on them.