follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 08-20-2015, 12:16 AM   #1
jay92

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bayson R TRD rep install FRS.

I recently purchased the Bayson r trd reps and am a bit unsure on how to install them CORRECTLY. They didn't include any instructions and I've contacted them but they haven't got back to me. I got an idea of how to install them, I am just unsure on how to mount the rear side of the sideskirts to the lower quarterpanel.

Here was the hardware that was included.

Any info is greatly appreciated, thanks!!!!
jay92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:50 PM   #2
gtslow

Drives: 2015 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Which piece did you purchase? The front lip, sides, or rear lip?
gtslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:29 PM   #3
DIM

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtslow View Post
Which piece did you purchase? The front lip, sides, or rear lip?
If you read his first post it said the side skirts.

Quote:
I am just unsure on how to mount the rear side of the sideskirts to the lower quarterpanel
Old 08-21-2015, 04:34 PM   #4
gtslow

Drives: 2015 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIM View Post
If you read his first post it said the side skirts.
Thanks! Reading skills failure on my part!

I'm interested to know how the front lip and the sides go on as I was looking to pick these up as well.
gtslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:13 PM   #5
kemit

Drives: FR-S 10 Series

BaysonR TRD Side Skirt Installation:

SCREWS
6 Brackets (goes with the little (12?) golden screws) - Underneath of the car
4 Gold Screws Holders - Front of the car
4 Silver Screws Holders - Back of the car
8 Black Screws - For the front and rear of the sideskirts. They go into the the gold and silver holders.

REAR SIDE SKIRTS
No holes are being drilled. The silver clamps allow you to clamp the sides of the car to prevent drilling. The rear side skirt use the 2 silver screw holders and 2 black screws. Clamp the silver screw holders in between the rear end of the car and align it with the side skirts.

FRONT SIDE SKIRTS
Same thing just use the gold screw holders. Remove the bottom two push pins. Tug in the clamps; align it with the side skirts and screw in.

BOTTOM OF THE SIDE SKIRTS.
This is where you make the side skirts fit in super snug. Use the tiny gold screws to attach these brackets into the side skirts. Once you've attached these brackets, force the brackets to fit into a metal lining that's underneath your car. The lining should already have predrilled holes for you to screw in. All the screws needed in this step are the tiny gold pieces.

Remember their are two screws used for each attached bracket. One that goes to the bracket itself and the other on the metal lining.

PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited by kemit; 08-21-2015 at 09:25 PM.
kemit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kemit For This Useful Post:
HyperTech (08-21-2015), van_fc3s (08-24-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 09:11 PM   #6
kemit

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtslow View Post
Thanks! Reading skills failure on my part!

I'm interested to know how the front lip and the sides go on as I was looking to pick these up as well.
Sides are easy. Front is a bit more tricky. Their is a lot of prep work that goes into the front before you install. It is recommended to buy a set of black decals to mask off parts that show OEM paint (Grill lip, underneath fog lights, etc). You also need to drill holes into the license plate department since its fitted for Japan's license plates.
kemit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:23 PM   #7
canyons

Drives: 2013 Supercharged BRZ, E85, Ohlins
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Bayson R TRD rep install FRS.

I went with the lower-profile 'S Style' side skirts that have a flare shape to them (wrapped in my case), sold here.

There are NO front screws for this model due to its lower profile. I added some extra 3M double sided trim tape to the that area for security.

These skirts DO require (re)drilling of mounting holes in skirts ( the stock bayson holes are too bar inboard to catch the fender lip;

You also need to drill the fender lip holes; at least I did on my 2013 BRZ.

Third, i had to remove about 3" of the round-over detail on the inside of the fender lip to allow the skirt to install flush against the fender lip. See photo.
This area will be fully covered by the skirt. This curved detail appears to be just a bondo-like substance that cuts easily with a knife ( its not metal.)

Lastly, you need to either shorten or replace the 6mm speed nuts provided by bayson; the ones provided dont get close enough to the outer edge of the fender (at least not on my 2013 BRZ.)

Photos explain it all:

Name:  drilled.jpeg
Views: 3531
Size:  182.7 KB
Name:  clip.jpeg
Views: 3503
Size:  111.4 KB
Name:  side.jpg
Views: 3590
Size:  237.4 KB
Pleased with the final results so far ! we'll see how they stand up to some spirited driving.

Note I had the flare portion wrapped in satin black (easier to re-cover them that way).

update:

so the front pass side moved about 1/4 in after some spirited driving. I will be adding a single body screw to each Skirt at the front.

Also: the 3M 1-inch double sided tape is not up to the job. The black, heavy duty Gorilla brand double sided mounting tape is up to the job so far. Seam at body is staying nicely closed now.

If you install these skirts, i recommend placing the top seam first *before* you tighten any of the screws. then check the mounting holes align, and if not, redrill them. Unless everything is properly aligned, tension from the screws will pull the top seem apart. I ended up adding three body screws In the fender liner at the rear, and one at the bottom front on the bottom.

Last edited by canyons; 02-15-2020 at 11:46 PM. Reason: DETAIL
canyons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canyons For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (02-01-2020)