follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 01-02-2020, 01:11 AM   #15
JackRabbit

Drives: '19 Toyota 86, MT, Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hey, thanks for all the tips guys! I'm only interested in autocross to practice skills, not even worried about competing in certain classes at this point. But good to know!

I am realizing I should just get an OEM wheel for now, and save up for when I have more time/money/knowledge to make a decision. It's cool there are so many options, but also means I shouldn't make a rushed choice. Thanks again!
JackRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JackRabbit For This Useful Post:
why? (01-07-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 01:12 AM   #16
JackRabbit

Does this seem like a legit deal? I have no idea if this is a decent price, or if it's a reputable seller.

https://midwestwheelandtire.com/prod...RoCQ1wQAvD_BwE
Old 01-02-2020, 01:36 AM   #17
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
200 is about right, considering you can get a 17x9 rpf1 for 266 from vivid racing. But ur in California right? That a hot spot for these cars. I'm sure you could get a used one with a tire on it for 50 around you. Look on fb, check the cal for sale threads etc.
HaXx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HaXx For This Useful Post:
why? (01-07-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 06:34 PM   #18
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
You might call Tirerack and ask if they have closeouts, I got two set quite cheep for my track tires. They will send with tires balanced to your door.
Mine were black with blue pin strips that matched my car color.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ls1ac For This Useful Post:
Spuds (01-03-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 01:48 PM   #19
JackRabbit

One more question on this--is it worth the extra $$ to get a pair of front wheels instead of just one side? The shop is telling me if I can afford it, it's always better to get a pair because different batches of wheels won't match as well, they'll be slightly different within the tolerances.

I get the idea, but do you think it would be enough to make any real difference? To me it only matters if it would affect the handling or cause wear and tear to other parts.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:04 PM   #20
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,125 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Unlikely to be any issues. A defective wheel being out of round is rare, not sure what else could come up that would be a concern.

Have you tried scouting local online ads?
You can score a set of OEM wheels used dirt cheap. A few hundred at most for a full set(often includes the tires too)
RToyo86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:46 AM   #21
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRabbit View Post
One more question on this--is it worth the extra $$ to get a pair of front wheels instead of just one side? The shop is telling me if I can afford it, it's always better to get a pair because different batches of wheels won't match as well, they'll be slightly different within the tolerances.

I get the idea, but do you think it would be enough to make any real difference? To me it only matters if it would affect the handling or cause wear and tear to other parts.
It'll be less expensive to buy someone's used stock wheels. I am sure someone near you has a set they are not using any more. That way if anything else stupid happens you'll have an extra wheel already on hand.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:24 PM   #22
mrhayes1

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS white
Garage
I have Niche 18x8 inch wheels and they are a very good fit. I don't know the offset off hand, but the front is perfectly flush, but back is tucked a bit and could use a 1/2 spacer but I don't wanna do that. If you are all about performance you should stay with 17s and not go bigger. However, I think 18s looks the best. The performance increase of going with a lightweight 17 inch aftermarket wheel is negligible to very minor at best in comparison to 18s. I would stay away from 19s personally as they will reduce ride quality the most, risk rubbing, and arguably look too big. Going with 18x8s lets you run a wide range of tires. I can pretty much run what I want with no risk of rubbing. In terms of looks, I wouldn't go with anything smaller than an 18x8. Also, many people run a 9 inch wide wheel but it has really been shown that a 9 inch wide wheel is completely unnecessary unless you are forced induction. A 9 inch wide wheel is really only for looks/forced induction cars and you run the risk of rubbing, especially on stock suspension and depending on the offset. I run 235-40-18 tire and as long as its a good tire it is much more grip than you really need on a stock car. Check out the wheel size calculator on here in case no one mentioned it.
mrhayes1 is offline   Reply With Quote