follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 367 74.59%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 125 25.41%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 08:41 PM   #3095
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I dunno, I think there will only be an I6. With N/A or turbo as an option.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
Old 07-21-2018, 09:40 PM   #3096
dtbdan

Drives: 2018 50th Anniversary BRZ PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
I dunno, I think there will only be an I6. With N/A or turbo as an option.
The BMW I6 was never designed to ever run N/A, none of the bmw motors of the past 8 years were ever intended to run without a turbo.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dtbdan For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (07-22-2018), stevesnj (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 10:46 PM   #3097
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbdan View Post
The BMW I6 was never designed to ever run N/A, none of the bmw motors of the past 8 years were ever intended to run without a turbo.
Thanks, I didn't know all BMW I6's were all turbo.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
Old 07-21-2018, 10:48 PM   #3098
dtbdan

Drives: 2018 50th Anniversary BRZ PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Thanks, I didn't know all BMW I6's were all turbo.
Yeah BMW has been all turbo since 2013, the v8 M3 was the last NA BMW
Old 07-22-2018, 04:40 AM   #3099
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Wasn't the benchmark target for 86/BRZ also the Cayman?

This is like the 3rd attempt with the first being the MRS going after the Boxster?

The Boxster and the Cayman are the automaker's standard and everyone wants to get some publicity by mentioning these cars.

Anyway, I wish good luck with the new car. I am sure that the BMW fans will buy the new Z4, since there is some time without a model offering in this area. After all the new car is in its heart a BMW product. Let's hope Toyota will get some consumers too requesting more power mainly in the NA market. It won't be easy since the car is manufactured in Austria and the brand is supposed to be Japanese, but let's see how the things will work out ...
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Moto-P (07-24-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 04:50 AM   #3100
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I want to know the real reason BMW killed off the E46 M3, with that I6 NA engine ( all for V8 glory) ?? Must Evolve to something bigger, more powerful
Old 07-22-2018, 06:13 AM   #3101
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Some of this stuff sounds like a PR spin.
Of course. There is no admonishment or criticism when I say this but everything he says is tempered by working for Toyota.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Moto-P (07-24-2018), Ultramaroon (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 06:18 AM   #3102
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-P View Post
Humbly I present you Mr. Tada here.
And here:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...postcount=2587

The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Moto-P (07-24-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 06:26 AM   #3103
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
And good luck with a new forum for the A90 Supra ...

We have the 86/BRZ cars here right?
Old 07-22-2018, 08:02 AM   #3104
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_L View Post
I want to know the real reason BMW killed off the E46 M3, with that I6 NA engine ( all for V8 glory) ?? Must Evolve to something bigger, more powerful

Because the S54 was a dinosaur of an engine, with its heavy iron block, no variable valve timing (forget about lift), and solid lifters in 2008! The new N52/54 6 cylinders were too new and untested to build an M engine from, so the easiest way to make a new, modern, more powerful unit for the next M3 was to take the M5 V10 and cut 2 cylinders off.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
Adam_L (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 09:56 AM   #3105
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
What stood out the most to me was that more than once he talked about how "expensive" certain processes were. That is beginning to make me wonder if my $55-63K estimate on price might be a little low. They are targeting the Cayman which is $55-67K. They cannot afford to go much higher than that if they want the car to sell.
Adam_L (07-22-2018), Moto-P (07-24-2018), nikitopo (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 10:05 AM   #3106
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_L View Post
Inline sixes make for great engines but mediocre cars
Old 07-22-2018, 11:24 AM   #3107
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
"⁣Supra goes Madrid" - Toyota Europe invites to drive the new A90

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/%E2...ew-supra.1345/

Quote:
With an official announcement, the new Toyota Supra was last presented to the public at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in the USA and personally raced over the track by Toyota boss Tetsuya Tada.

When Toyota publishes press releases on the new Supra with increasing frequency, or watches more and more events, the official sales of the new Toyota Supra are not far off.

Agile fun car

With every event more and more details become known. Last to the engine and the model types. In addition to the 335-hp 6-series engine, there should also be a lightweight and equally turbocharged variant (B48B20) with a 4-cylinder engine from BMW. Both variants will have the ZF-8HP51HIS 8-speed automatic transmission. With these two Supra models Toyota pursues the previous concept, as it was with the previous model MK4. The GE and the more powerful GTE turbo version.

Contrary to rumors at the time of many portals and blogs, both models are to be sold normally under the Toyota brand. In fact interesting is the version sold under the sports label GR, as you already know from other models like the Yaris. However, there are no facts yet and the rumors move between hybrid propulsion and an output of over 400 hp.

Together with the engineers of the GT86, the new Supra is just as much an agile fun car as the GT86 already is. A kind of combination of old Supra and the GT86 model.

Presentation in Madrid

From 18 to 20 September, the new Supra will now be presented to the public in Europe at the Track Day event in Madrid, to which we have been invited as one of Toyota Europe's largest and oldest community. On the spot, we should not only make an impression of the (probably still veiled pre-series), but may also even drive the new Toyota Supra A90 test.

Of course, we would like to inform you about this event, of course, ask all possible questions and reports about the driving experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
Guff (07-22-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 10:59 AM   #3108
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
New 2019 Toyota Supra: latest pics, specs and details

Quote:
The next-generation A90 Toyota Supra has made its dynamic debut in the UK. Here is all we know about the Japanese performance car...

The all-new Toyota Supra will be revealed early next year and as part of the build up to one of the most eagerly-anticipated performance car launches of the year, a disguised production model has been officially tested in public for the first time.

We’d previously seen the model testing while wearing detail-masking camouflage, and Auto Express reader Johnny Daly snapped photos of the fifth generation of the iconic sports car on UK soil in right-hand-drive form.

We already have a good idea of what to expect from the Porsche 718 Cayman rival; the GR Supra Racing Concept that was the star of the 2018 Geneva Motor Show gave us a thinly veiled glimpse at what to expect from the new coupe. It is being developed by Toyota’s Gazoo Racing performance division, but in partnership with BMW, which is basing the new Z4 on the same platform.

Speaking at the Geneva show, Supra Chief Engineer Tetsuya Tada said a front-mounted six-cylinder turbocharged engine powering the rear wheels was the configuration favoured by owners and aficionados of previous versions of the Supra. His comments tally with information recently leaked that the car would offer up 330bhp from an in-line six.

The Supra promises to be an uncompromising road car. Tada described the Supra, which has been benchmarked against the Porsche 718 Cayman and 911, as a “pure sports car”. He believes it will be “quite different” from the forthcoming BMW Z4, with which it is related. Both cars’ original concepts were visualised separately, before the common parts were defined. He said parts shared across both models will be fewer than many people imagine, and even then, many will be calibrated differently.

While the show car features an automatic transmission, he revealed that a manual gearbox is still the subject of internal discussions. He continued: “We are aware there is a huge fanbase for the previous models around the world, so we made sure to interview them to hear their expectations and opinions before we started the project.”

As a darling of the tuner scene, Tada expects the Supra to be modified by owners to their own liking – even if those modifications aren’t sourced from Toyota, Gazoo Racing or their official partners. He went as far to say that Toyota “wouldn’t interfere” where modifications are concerned as previous experience points to the kinds “appropriate” modifications owners make to their GT86s.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/...cs-and-details

Closed Thread

Tags
bmwforsuckers, boring-zzzzzzzzzzzzz, brz, celica supra confirmed, frs, ft-1, hatch-y +1, morethanucanaffordpal, nomanualnogo, supra, toyota, twins, watstheretailon1ofthose