follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 03-10-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
JB86'd

Drives: JAWS
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
SCCA Socal Solo 2 at El Toro, Socal, 3/22-23, noob questions

Hey Socal autox guys. I'm planning on registering for this Pro Solo event at El Toro, first time at autox.
My car is stock besides a drop in and axleback, and I'm doing this purely for fun. I'm trying to decide whether to do only the practice day on Saturday or both days.

My question is, what class should I register in, and what tips do you have for an autox noob..especially you guys who have autox'd at El Toro before.

Also who here is going??

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...5#.Ux5ADGS9Kc1
Old 03-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
itzmik3
DBC Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB86'd View Post
Hey Socal autox guys. I'm planning on registering for this Pro Solo event at El Toro, first time at autox.
My car is stock besides a drop in and axleback, and I'm doing this purely for fun. I'm trying to decide whether to do only the practice day on Saturday or both days.

My question is, what class should I register in, and what tips do you have for an autox noob..especially you guys who have autox'd at El Toro before.

Also who here is going??

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...5#.Ux5ADGS9Kc1
well this event is not the pro solo, which is 4/12 & 4/13

you would be classed in STX just because of your springs. you can either run in that class or CST. This is a class is basically a free for all as long as you run on street tires.

tips for el toro...
well it is a higher grip surface so expect a bit more of tire wear compared to driving on the street.
there are plenty of veterans who would be more then happy to show you the ropes. don't be shy to ask for a ride to see where the course goes. (this only applies for practice typically)
#194 SM
itzmik3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to itzmik3 For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (03-14-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
JB86'd

@itzmik3 sorry I meant drop in filter..i don't have springs
Old 03-10-2014, 09:37 PM   #4
itzmik3
DBC Racing

Garage
Quote:
@itzmik3 sorry I meant drop in filter..i don't have springs
then i would say S2 C-street would be the best place to compete in
#194 SM
Old 03-10-2014, 11:04 PM   #5
JB86'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzmik3 View Post
then i would say S2 C-street would be the best place to compete in
Alright thanks a lot!

Anybody going to this event? I'd like to get some insight and also not be a loner all day
Old 03-11-2014, 01:53 PM   #6
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
There will be a couple of us out there! If you want to run Sunday regional events regularly, I would recommend starting out in the Novice class (NOV). Then select your PAX for C-Street. Its a great way to meet other novices and get introduced to the sport! You will still run with your car's prep class (S2, in this case), so you can get tips from other drivers on car set-up, driving, etc...
simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:16 PM   #7
Churg

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have to do STX because of my 9" RPF1's, but this will be my third event ever, so I've been running in Novice, and will for the whole season. I'd definitely recommend taking a ride with some other BRZ/FRS/RWD cars, you'll learn a lot. If you get into the practice, maybe try doing a few runs, then have someone else drive your car, and have them ride with you after you watch them once. You'll learn a lot having someone else drive your car that knows what they're doing.
I was fortunate enough to get a veteran to drive my car, then ride with me and coach me as I was driving, it blew my mind.
Churg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
cactus

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I'll be in the Southbay for the weekend and am going to try to make it out Sunday. Any regulars know about what time CS or NS-CS runs?
cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #9
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Run/Work order isnt posted yet, should be up next week!
Old 03-11-2014, 05:59 PM   #10
JB86'd

@Churg @simpleisbest I've decided to run only on Sunday in Novice, S2, C-Street. I've been reading up a lot, read some SCCA information regarding classes and rules, along with the CSCC regulations and the CSCC novice guide. It's all a little overwhelming and I'm still figuring it out but I'm sure once I get there I'll catch on quick. I'd love to ride with someone who's driving a twin, and I'll also be having an instructor ride with me for my first run.

I'm running all stock so I'm sure I'll be super slow but I'm really excited, especially since El Toro is 15 minutes away from my house.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:11 PM   #11
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Quote:
@Churg @simpleisbest I've decided to run only on Sunday in Novice, S2, C-Street. I've been reading up a lot, read some SCCA information regarding classes and rules, along with the CSCC regulations and the CSCC novice guide. It's all a little overwhelming and I'm still figuring it out but I'm sure once I get there I'll catch on quick. I'd love to ride with someone who's driving a twin, and I'll also be having an instructor ride with me for my first run.

I'm running all stock so I'm sure I'll be super slow but I'm really excited, especially since El Toro is 15 minutes away from my house.

Very nice! Kudos to you for doing your homework and reading the rules!
You can come find us with the white FR-S (w/black wheels, single exit exhaust) running in S2/CS!
Old 03-11-2014, 06:44 PM   #12
itzmik3
DBC Racing

Garage
Quote:

look forward to seeing ya there!

i actually codrive with @simpleisbest so see ya there
#194 SM
Old 03-12-2014, 02:44 PM   #13
Churg

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Woot! I'm excited for you! If El Toro is so close, you should at least come by sometime on Saturday just to get some rides. I don't know how often you'll be able to ride with someone driving one of the twins on Sunday. But I'm still new, so who knows!

I'm in the stock WRB BRZ with gold RPF1's. If you want a ride, I'm definitely down to take you for a spin! I placed 2nd in Novice last event, but @simpleisbest and @itzmik3 are both beasts. Blow me out of the water! I had an exhaust and everything else, but I recently swapped back to stock and traded in my 2013 A/T BRZ for a 2014 Manual, so there won't be any goodies on the car except for the wheels
Churg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #14
JB86'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churg View Post
Woot! I'm excited for you! If El Toro is so close, you should at least come by sometime on Saturday just to get some rides. I don't know how often you'll be able to ride with someone driving one of the twins on Sunday. But I'm still new, so who knows!

I'm in the stock WRB BRZ with gold RPF1's. If you want a ride, I'm definitely down to take you for a spin! I placed 2nd in Novice last event, but @simpleisbest and @itzmik3 are both beasts. Blow me out of the water! I had an exhaust and everything else, but I recently swapped back to stock and traded in my 2013 A/T BRZ for a 2014 Manual, so there won't be any goodies on the car except for the wheels
That's actually a great idea that I hadn't considered. That should give me a good idea of what will be expected on Sunday and what I'm up against I'll definitely look for you on Saturday..I'll probably make it there around 10 im guessing.

Congrats on trading to a manual. They can be tedious in traffic but man are they a blast.

Also a question for you guys, I know I need to put NOV and my number on the side of my car...but I'm not sure on the class...is it S2 or CS?