follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-03-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
Franisco

Drives: D31a
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Subaru Version of Toyota FT-86 Confirmed...But Not Yet For U.S.

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...ot-yet-for-u-s

Subaru’s version of the upcoming sports car codeveloped with Toyota is definitely a go.
“There will be a Subaru version of the car; we have not yet confirmed it for the U.S.,” clarified Subaru of America director of corporate communications Michael McHale, to Motor Authority at Subaru's stand at the Los Angeles Auto show.
Some outlets have recently speculated that a Subaru version of the Toyota FT-86 won’t arrive after all, but the project is moving forward with a yet unnamed, uniquely Subaru version under development that’s “coming along quite nicely,” said McHale.
Just what might be the differences between the two? Although McHale wouldn’t talk specifics, “The Subaru’s going to be a little bit more Subaru-like, and the Toyota’s going to be a little bit more Toyota-like,” he said.
Subaru has done the majority of the engineering work for the FT-86 and will build two distinct versions of the vehicle—one for Subaru, the other for Toyota—in Japan. While it’s still officially up in the air as to whether the FT will have all-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive, it would be expected that a flagship sports car would exhibit Subaru’s core qualities, including all-wheel drive with a horizontally opposed ‘Boxer’ four-cylinder engine.
The related Toyota FT-86 concept, shown at the Tokyo show in October, was rear-wheel-drive and powered by a boxer four.
Subaru has plenty of time to decide; the new sports car isn't expected to bow in production form for another couple of years.
Franisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

Drives: 2022 WR BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franisco View Post

Subaru’s version of the upcoming sports car codeveloped with Toyota is definitely a go.
“There will be a Subaru version of the car; we have not yet confirmed it for the U.S.,” clarified Subaru of America director of corporate communications Michael McHale, to Motor Authority at Subaru's stand at the Los Angeles Auto show.
Some outlets have recently speculated that a Subaru version of the Toyota FT-86 won’t arrive after all, but the project is moving forward with a yet unnamed, uniquely Subaru version under development that’s “coming along quite nicely,” said McHale.
Just what might be the differences between the two? Although McHale wouldn’t talk specifics, “The Subaru’s going to be a little bit more Subaru-like, and the Toyota’s going to be a little bit more Toyota-like,” he said.
Subaru has done the majority of the engineering work for the FT-86 and will build two distinct versions of the vehicle—one for Subaru, the other for Toyota—in Japan. While it’s still officially up in the air as to whether the FT will have all-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive, it would be expected that a flagship sports car would exhibit Subaru’s core qualities, including all-wheel drive with a horizontally opposed ‘Boxer’ four-cylinder engine.
The related Toyota FT-86 concept, shown at the Tokyo show in October, was rear-wheel-drive and powered by a boxer four.
Subaru has plenty of time to decide; the new sports car isn't expected to bow in production form for another couple of years.
I find the bolded part interesting. I hope that is referring to the Subie version and not both as I thought the RWD Yota version was already set in stone.

S2KtoFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
GT

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2KtoFT86 View Post
I find the bolded part interesting. I hope that is referring to the Subie version and not both as I thought the RWD Yota version was already set in stone.
I am pretty sure that is for the Subie version. Because in this video
Tada talks about a FR layout.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
Franisco

Haha, that's definitely not the name I gave this thread but that's good too
Old 12-03-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
4agze

Drives: Toyota Corolla SR5
Garage
how come the talks of subaru's version is so scattered but yet never seen a concept? no formal quote from a CEO, chief engineer or any higher up people? for sure if subaru will have their version will be AWD cuz, that is the bread and butter of subaru.
4agze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
Franisco

I was really hoping they wouldn't. If Toyota decided not to sc or tc this engine, and it does actually come out with 200hp or less, and 160lbs-ft of torque or less, I won't be buying it. I want to see the EJ255 or EJ257 in there, settling of course for a sc ej253
Old 12-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #7
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I was really hoping they wouldn't. If Toyota decided not to sc or tc this engine, and it does actually come out with 200hp or less, and 160lbs-ft of torque or less, I won't be buying it. I want to see the EJ255 or EJ257 in there, settling of course for a sc ej253
engine swap?

Get the RWD toyota and swap the subie engine.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156

I think it's a moot point though because Toyota has already hinted there will probably be more powerful versions and TRD involvement:

"Though a naturally-aspirated powerplant is fitted to the concept car, Tada-san says higher performance versions are on the cards. He even hints the car may launch with both standard and high-performance versions.

Not STI, but TRD, he joked adding: "Those sort of 'customised version' -- we have something of their sort in our mind. So please raise your expectations."
zigzagz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #8
scape

Drives: yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT View Post
I am pretty sure that is for the Subie version. Because in this video
Tada talks about a FR layout.
they are really pushing that lightweight concept, makes me think maybe it will be under 2400lbs, that'd be dreamy haha
Old 12-03-2009, 10:57 PM   #9
cornfed

Drives: FC3S
Send a message via AIM to cornfed
Quote:
Originally Posted by scape View Post
they are really pushing that lightweight concept, makes me think maybe it will be under 2400lbs, that'd be dreamy haha
The new idea of light weight is right around 3000lbs......2400lbs is what it will weigh once its stripped and prepped for track use. 2400lbs straight from the factory I think not, just be happy if its under 2900lbs.
cornfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:11 PM   #10
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
very nice video. makes me quite hopeful.

-Mike
2008 Civic Si Sedan
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:44 PM   #11
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:

I think this is more than a bit inaccurate, but I guess we will eventually find out.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:16 AM   #12
Franisco

That video gets some really nice angles.
The girl said that the wheelbase is at 2540mm or exactly 100in.
That is about an inch and a half drop from what that had stated previously. They're moving in the right direction. This car should be pretty nimble
Old 12-04-2009, 04:33 AM   #13
Blokatos

Drives: MX5 Miata Mk2.5 1.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfed View Post
The new idea of light weight is right around 3000lbs......2400lbs is what it will weigh once its stripped and prepped for track use. 2400lbs straight from the factory I think not, just be happy if its under 2900lbs.
CTR is 200 hp and weighs less than 2700 lbs. I will not buy the FT-86 if it weighs more than 2600 lbs in stock form...

Back to the ancient art of driving!
Blokatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:58 AM   #14
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blokatos View Post
CTR is 200 hp and weighs less than 2700 lbs. I will not buy the FT-86 if it weighs more than 2600 lbs in stock form...

Which CTR? Don't know of any that make that power/weight, because all that have 200+hp weigh more than 2700lbs, and the EK9 has 180hp.

Feel free to buy a type R if the FT isn't to your taste.

2600-2700 sounds just about right to me, and I'll only be happier the lighter it gets.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote