follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 03-19-2017, 10:45 PM   #29
doctor_driver

Drives: 17' BRZ - PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
So far it seems it's still sweepers vs transitions... You should stick with the Primacies though.
I know you're joking but I had to run Primacies for my first event in the 17 BRZ-PP last week and I ended up only paxing 12th but we got to do some fun runs after and that's when I tried out turning ESC and Traction off (it was my first event in the car and first event in a RWD car, came from a 14 Focus ST. So I was just running Track mode until I got a better feel for the car) and within 3 "fun" runs I would have had the 3rd fastest pax of the day and about the 5th or so raw time.

I was really blown away by the times that the primacies could put up. The car was real slippery but none the less, it was crazy fast times comparably on such slippery tires.
doctor_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:25 PM   #30
dvalue

Drives: 15 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_driver View Post
I know you're joking but I had to run Primacies for my first event in the 17 BRZ-PP last week and I ended up only paxing 12th but we got to do some fun runs after and that's when I tried out turning ESC and Traction off (it was my first event in the car and first event in a RWD car, came from a 14 Focus ST. So I was just running Track mode until I got a better feel for the car) and within 3 "fun" runs I would have had the 3rd fastest pax of the day and about the 5th or so raw time.

I was really blown away by the times that the primacies could put up. The car was real slippery but none the less, it was crazy fast times comparably on such slippery tires.
If were gonna talk about times that didnt count, I would've pax'd first and raw'd 3rd
G_Ride (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #31
doctor_driver

Drives: 17' BRZ - PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalue View Post
If were gonna talk about times that didnt count, I would've pax'd first and raw'd 3rd
Well at least you had the advantage of RE71r's
doctor_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:17 AM   #32
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Any updates to the "tire to have" for this season?

The early results this year seem to show that the Rival S 1.5 are pretty good. Has anyone tried the Nexen (is there a new version?) or the RS-4 yet?

What is the consensus for the most runs possible on RE71Rs before they are dead? I hit ~130-140 runs last weekend at a double event in PA. They were still fast but a little off the pace on the 65 degree Saturday event, but they were nearly undriveable on the 40 degree Sunday event. I'm past the wear bars in the middle and hints of cording on the thrice flipped inside edge (CS prepped car). I'll burn these to the cords at a test-n-tune and switch to my V720s for a few events, but I'll need to pick a "good" tire for the latter part of the season.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:26 AM   #33
Rio

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S ハチ
Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
@e1_griego may have an opinion on the Rival S 1.5

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2017, 10:31 AM   #34
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
Any updates to the "tire to have" for this season?

The early results this year seem to show that the Rival S 1.5 are pretty good. Has anyone tried the Nexen (is there a new version?) or the RS-4 yet?

What is the consensus for the most runs possible on RE71Rs before they are dead? I hit ~130-140 runs last weekend at a double event in PA. They were still fast but a little off the pace on the 65 degree Saturday event, but they were nearly undriveable on the 40 degree Sunday event. I'm past the wear bars in the middle and hints of cording on the thrice flipped inside edge (CS prepped car). I'll burn these to the cords at a test-n-tune and switch to my V720s for a few events, but I'll need to pick a "good" tire for the latter part of the season.
Darn, should of said hi...Pretty sure we were at the same event

I was on sticker Rival S 1.5s for Saturday. Took 1-2 runs for them to come in, but after that I actually really liked them. Turn in was RE-71R like (I'm coming from a 128i I campaigned in STX the past couple years, and that thing turned in like garbage so trying to recalibrate my brain).

I felt like on the limit of grip, the Rival S is very easy to toy with that extreme. If you overdrove the tire, it didn't punish you severely, it was very easy to dial back and maintain peak grip. I pulled 1.38 Gs on my 4th run on the tires, with an average lateral load of around 1.19 Gs. Given we were on bump-ish asphalt, I'd say that's pretty darn impressive.

My RE-71Rs seem to punish me in the 128 when they were over driven. That being if you exceeded max grip you had to come down to 85-90% of peak to regain the tire.

Sunday, 45 degree weather Rivals were absolutely god awful. Hindsight I probably should have ran my ContiSports.

All in all, I'm pretty impressed with the Rivals and I think they'd play well with my driving style.

PS - For my 128 the RE-71Rs were done when grip would almost be an on/off type manner. Id enter a corner with terminal understeer, then snap to oversteer. That was around 140 runs or so. I noticed pretty quickly that the tires were gone. They'd also overheat really quickly, and didn't like any sort of heat...which isn't like a fresh RE-71R where they tolerated heat well
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M0nk3y For This Useful Post:
Biggins (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 11:29 AM   #35
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
Darn, should of said hi...Pretty sure we were at the same event
We were in the same heat, but I came up both days with the DC region people. I don't do a ton of mingling and tend to stick to myself, but I think I was by your car when Ryan or someone was asking me what the little plasticky vent thing was that they found on the ground under your car. I still don't know. I loved your 128 and have wanted one for years, so I was surprised to see your name attached to an FR-S. I was also a little surprised how quick the WRX was in STX at that event but cooler termps help them I suppose.

The 1.5 seems to be the answer so far... I only saw one person on the RS-4 (CS ND) at that event, but I didn't get to talk to them and their times were not near the top. I was impressed with the times that people got in Federals and Falkens, but I feel like that could have been because they had tread and the varied temperatures.

I seem to be the only one left on the Kumho V720 at the moment, but my budget this year mandates I give it another couple months before I pick "the tire."
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:04 PM   #36
M0nk3y

Quote:
We were in the same heat, but I came up both days with the DC region people. I don't do a ton of mingling and tend to stick to myself, but I think I was by your car when Ryan or someone was asking me what the little plasticky vent thing was that they found on the ground under your car. I still don't know. I loved your 128 and have wanted one for years, so I was surprised to see your name attached to an FR-S. I was also a little surprised how quick the WRX was in STX at that event but cooler termps help them I suppose.

The 1.5 seems to be the answer so far... I only saw one person on the RS-4 (CS ND) at that event, but I didn't get to talk to them and their times were not near the top. I was impressed with the times that people got in Federals and Falkens, but I feel like that could have been because they had tread and the varied temperatures.

I seem to be the only one left on the Kumho V720 at the moment, but my budget this year mandates I give it another couple months before I pick "the tire."
While I liked the 128, and it had it's time were it was dominate...I don't think it's the car to have in STX. Too many variables and times when I thought to myself "Oh this course can really play into my favor" I get completely the opposite.

My Rival S 1.5s on Sunday had peak loading of 0.98 Gs (versus 1.38 on saturday). Launching I was spinning tires at idle. WRX was 2-stepping and launching. I consider Sunday a complete throw-away besides some changes that I need to make to my car, and getting more comfortable with it.

After driving this car, I don't even see how my 128 was ever competitive...YMMV

I don't think you'll see alot of buy in on the RS4s. No contingency plus lack of data early on in the season. If people start winning on them you may see more people start to test. But IMO I think they're dead in the water this year.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:45 PM   #37
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
z
If you can get heat into them, they'll be usable longer... I just took off 280+ run 255/17 RE71R's that have serviceable tread left (~3mm? just getting to the wear bars) and they were hockey pucks cold, but they woke up halfway through my last run at an event I had a codriver and closer run timing... of course he had 2 runs left and found another second. I'm sure I got this many partly because I barely used them the first year... STX prep though. It's possible the 255's behave very differently in this respect... they weren't the size to have, for sure.

Starting the season on fresh RE71's I had already... but very curious to see how this shapes up.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:52 PM   #38
Rio

Quote:
While I liked the 128, and it had it's time were it was dominate...I don't think it's the car to have in STX. Too many variables and times when I thought to myself "Oh this course can really play into my favor" I get completely the opposite.

My Rival S 1.5s on Sunday had peak loading of 0.98 Gs (versus 1.38 on saturday). Launching I was spinning tires at idle. WRX was 2-stepping and launching. I consider Sunday a complete throw-away besides some changes that I need to make to my car, and getting more comfortable with it.

After driving this car, I don't even see how my 128 was ever competitive...YMMV

I don't think you'll see alot of buy in on the RS4s. No contingency plus lack of data early on in the season. If people start winning on them you may see more people start to test. But IMO I think they're dead in the water this year.
What size tires are your 1.5s and would you mind sharing at what pressure you ran them? I can't get them to stick at 255/40/17 and 26lbs in the rear.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:04 PM   #39
M0nk3y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post
What size tires are your 1.5s and would you mind sharing at what pressure you ran them? I can't get them to stick at 255/40/17 and 26lbs in the rear.

245/40/17

30 front, 29 rear. Although probably could have used a pound or 2 less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kyle H. - #89 STX
The Following User Says Thank You to M0nk3y For This Useful Post:
Rio (03-30-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 09:43 PM   #40
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
I've read the new Nexen SUR4G are starting to become available. Berk has them on their website. Not sure if that's the pricing everyone will have but they are quite a bit more than the normal SUR4s.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:01 PM   #41
Rio

Quote:
245/40/17

30 front, 29 rear. Although probably could have used a pound or 2 less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok, so today I did our event #2 in wet and "moist" pavement at Portland International Raceway. I ran the 1.5 (255/40/17) And I am in love again! Really like these for momentum driving.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:58 PM   #42
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post
Ok, so today I did our event #2 in wet and "moist" pavement at Portland International Raceway. I ran the 1.5 (255/40/17) And I am in love again! Really like these for momentum driving.

I'm really curious about 245 vs 255 in this tire. It sorta surprises me that the 245 works so much better in the RE71R, curious if that holds true for the Rival-S 1.5 as well. Sort-of hope it does given the price difference!

Then again... I'm starting on fresh Bridgestones so...
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote