follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List
CSG Mike, gramicci101, grant86, GrimmSpeed, JDLAutoDesign, JRitt, KCMachine, King Tut, MillersOilsUS, PERRIN, phastafrican, Racecomp Engineering, Raceseng, Roadcone, Sportsguy83, UltramarineLuck, VerusEric, Wonderbar, Xero-Limit

Old 03-04-2017, 08:00 PM   #1821
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,470 Times in 765 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Interesting call with the pedal spacer. I actually found that I wanted the gas pedal further down so I didn't have to lift my heel so much to heel-toe without accidentally applying part throttle. I know you're not a heel-toe guy, but still...

Interested to hear your feedback on that.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 10:31 AM   #1822
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Interesting call with the pedal spacer. I actually found that I wanted the gas pedal further down so I didn't have to lift my heel so much to heel-toe without accidentally applying part throttle. I know you're not a heel-toe guy, but still...

Interested to hear your feedback on that.

I've street driven it for a few hours so far and it's taken some getting used to. I'm not a heel-toe downshifter by nature. I've always just used fast footwork coming on and off the brakes and getting revmatch and shifts done as quickly and as smoothly as possible but without heel-toe.

The pedal spacer encourages heel-toe. In fact, with tennis shoes on, it's a little bit too encouraging at first. I can feel the throttle pedal on my sole when light braking and I have to move my (4E extra wide) foot over more to avoid it. So I would like to try it with my driving shoes on which have much better soles on them for driving. I guess I'm spoiled with my EcuTek RaceRom autoblip feature as well as the autoblip on the manual Porsches that I drive at work.

So far I've struggled to get used to it, but if you're already a heel-toe guy then you probably won't struggle and you'll love it right away. It's easily reversible though, so that's good.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
Jdogg88 (03-09-2017), Teseo (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 10:37 AM   #1823
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You can try also cusco gas pedal if you need less twist in your foot.
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:25 PM   #1824
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post

I've street driven it for a few hours so far and it's taken some getting used to. I'm not a heel-toe downshifter by nature. I've always just used fast footwork coming on and off the brakes and getting revmatch and shifts done as quickly and as smoothly as possible but without heel-toe.

The pedal spacer encourages heel-toe. In fact, with tennis shoes on, it's a little bit too encouraging at first. I can feel the throttle pedal on my sole when light braking and I have to move my (4E extra wide) foot over more to avoid it. So I would like to try it with my driving shoes on which have much better soles on them for driving. I guess I'm spoiled with my EcuTek RaceRom autoblip feature as well as the autoblip on the manual Porsches that I drive at work.

So far I've struggled to get used to it, but if you're already a heel-toe guy then you probably won't struggle and you'll love it right away. It's easily reversible though, so that's good.
need this so bad. I'm a heel toe-er on track and even day to day with some spirited driving. I always end up braking way harder than I need to just to get the brake pedal down so I don't have to twist my ankle as much to blip the gas. Track is good since i'm braking hard and naturally is lower closer to the gas... can't wait for this to come out.
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:58 PM   #1825
GSpeed

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Thanked 1,181 Times in 362 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Hey that's pretty cool! Oh wait, we designed that exact same thing almost a year and a half ago. Come on, Velox, you're better than this.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93277

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111057

https://gspeed.com/product/brzfrs-gas-pedal-kit/
GSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:26 PM   #1826
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpeed View Post
Hey that's pretty cool! Oh wait, we designed that exact same thing almost a year and a half ago. Come on, Velox, you're better than this.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93277

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111057

https://gspeed.com/product/brzfrs-gas-pedal-kit/
Honestly, we had no plans of producing anything. One of my friends sent me a photo of a Focus ST gas pedal relocation deal which was 3D printed. Anyone that knows me personally, knows I am a massive sucker for printing just about anything on our printer. So I designed something one day after hours and printed one to try out myself.

I also happen to be friends with Ian, as well as other members of the GT86 community, and they thought the design/print was cool. Ian asked to try it out after I commented how much easier it to heal toe.

Thanks,
Eric
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (03-08-2017), GSpeed (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 04:39 PM   #1827
GSpeed

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Thanked 1,181 Times in 362 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloxEric View Post
Honestly, we had no plans of producing anything. One of my friends sent me a photo of a Focus ST gas pedal relocation deal which was 3D printed. Anyone that knows me personally, knows I am a massive sucker for printing just about anything on our printer. So I designed something one day after hours and printed one to try out myself.

I also happen to be friends with Ian, as well as other members of the GT86 community, and they thought the design/print was cool. Ian asked to try it out after I commented how much easier it to heal toe.

Thanks,
Eric
That's good to hear. When it was called a "prototype" we assumed that meant it was going into production. No harm, no foul.
GSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:16 AM   #1828
Bramick

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited M/T
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
The GSpeed one is nice. Definitely worth it if you want an aluminum one at a future date.
GSpeed (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 11:14 AM   #1829
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Like some of our projects, it starts at a personal level, not meant to go anywhere and then people ask about it. That's where this project is at, right now in time. If we see enough interest and Ian provides positive feedback over time, it'd be dumb of us not to produce something. This has nothing to do with GSpeed producing one, they make a great product and I've suggested it to multiple people.

I don't know what the future will hold for this particular product.

Thanks,
Eric
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (03-09-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 06:22 PM   #1830
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Totaled. Here's to 20k more braaaaps but with some stuuuutututu!
GTHachiRoku (03-20-2017), TheStig85 (03-20-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 09:25 AM   #1831
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

More parts rolling in.

ACT SB8-XTSS clutch kit
Braum Venom Seats w/ red stitching
Braum 5-point SFI Harnesses
Planted seat brackets.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
dattran86 (03-27-2017), DocWalt (03-28-2017), DustinS (03-27-2017), GTHachiRoku (03-27-2017), Teseo (03-27-2017), TheStig85 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 09:37 AM   #1832
TheStig85

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
More parts rolling in.

ACT SB8-XTSS clutch kit
Braum Venom Seats w/ red stitching
Braum 5-point SFI Harnesses
Planted seat brackets.
Thought you were going with an Edelbrock SC. What's with the thread change to Turbo Build?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
TheStig85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:38 PM   #1833
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig85 View Post
Thought you were going with an Edelbrock SC. What's with the thread change to Turbo Build?
Diminishing returns with a SC and ethanol + pulleys. Originally wanted to keep things simple with a SC kit but the power and response from these relatively small, new generation turbochargers is tough to beat. Plus I've been a fan of JDL's products since they started building them for this platform five years ago. The idea of a UEL turbo kit always really excited me because I'm a die-hard Subaru fanboy plus the 718's I drive regularly at work sound amazing but until now I've never been fully satisfied with the layout of the available UEL (or UEL compatible) turbo kits, including JDL's, until now. I really think they have a winner at the $2999 base price point considering the other option there is still very controversial due to its origins and where it's being produced. It's no secret that JDL are sourcing intercoolers and most of the charge piping from Zage in Taiwan but there's no blood on their hands from using a tried and true layout that's extremely cost effective. JDL's hot parts have always been an original design and made in the USA. Customer service and support from JDL has always been excellent considering they are a relatively small operation driven by fellow enthusiasts with a passion for fabrication. As soon as I saw the new JDL turbo kits I knew I wanted one and the opportunity arose for me to get a great deal on one that's configured exactly how I want it. Needless to say I'm super excited to get it all together soon.
FujiwaraTofu86 (03-28-2017), Teseo (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 12:46 PM   #1834
TheStig85

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
When did JDL release a turbo kit? This is news to me. I've been back and forth on which route I'd like to go, but either way it's not something I'd explore for a few years.

Quote:
Diminishing returns with a SC and ethanol + pulleys. Originally wanted to keep things simple with a SC kit but the power and response from these relatively small, new generation turbochargers is tough to beat. Plus I've been a fan of JDL's products since they started building them for this platform five years ago. The idea of a UEL turbo kit always really excited me because I'm a die-hard Subaru fanboy plus the 718's I drive regularly at work sound amazing but until now I've never been fully satisfied with the layout of the available UEL (or UEL compatible) turbo kits, including JDL's, until now. I really think they have a winner at the $2999 base price point considering the other option there is still very controversial due to its origins and where it's being produced. It's no secret that JDL are sourcing intercoolers and most of the charge piping from Zage in Taiwan but there's no blood on their hands from using a tried and true layout that's extremely cost effective. JDL's hot parts have always been an original design and made in the USA. Customer service and support from JDL has always been excellent considering they are a relatively small operation driven by fellow enthusiasts with a passion for fabrication.
TheStig85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jdl turbo, mazworx, racecomp engineering, track build, verus engineering