follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 01-27-2013, 11:30 PM   #15
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanga View Post
The Veloster Turbo is a better attempt. 200+ horsepower and a lot more refined details, but still on the cheap side.
I haven't personally driven one, but I haven't heard good things about the handling. CRXs were little monsters handling-wise, but crap power.

It's not hard for Hyundai to just jack it up with some boost, but when it comes to handling the devil is in the details.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:35 PM   #16
Vanga

Drives: 07 Hyundai Tiburon SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
I haven't personally driven one, but I haven't heard good things about the handling. CRXs were little monsters handling-wise, but crap power.

It's not hard for Hyundai to just jack it up with some boost, but when it comes to handling the devil is in the details.
Agree, but at the same time I don't think Hyundai was really trying to make the Veloster a "sports car" They have the Genesis Coupe for that. I consider it more of a sporty grocery getter for people who aren't necessary worried about the performance but more about getting to walmart and looking good doing it.
Vanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:46 PM   #17
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Agree, but at the same time I don't think Hyundai was really trying to make the Veloster a "sports car" They have the Genesis Coupe for that. I consider it more of a sporty grocery getter for people who aren't necessary worried about the performance but more about getting to walmart and looking good doing it.
I think you're right. But they are missing chances to step up by that attitude.

The CRX was exactly the same role a small, neat-looking, not super practical, cheap, economical run-about, but it also handled amazingly.

As it stands the Veloster is just a less-convenient KIA Soul. Hyundai is either not getting it, or cheaping out on development.

GenCoupe is an excellent example, too. A theoretically complex suspension design (front virtual steer center double pivot struts and rear multi-link) but a very meh application hiding behind sticky tires.

Almost, but still not there. But what I don't understand, is how THEY don't seem to understand...

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:54 PM   #18
Vanga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
I think you're right. But they are missing chances to step up by that attitude.

The CRX was exactly the same role a small, neat-looking, not super practical, cheap, economical run-about, but it also handled amazingly.

As it stands the Veloster is just a less-convenient KIA Soul. Hyundai is either not getting it, or cheaping out on development.

GenCoupe is an excellent example, too. A theoretically complex suspension design (front virtual steer center double pivot struts and rear multi-link) but a very meh application hiding behind sticky tires.

Almost, but still not there. But what I don't understand, is how THEY don't seem to understand...
I agree, sometimes I don't understand either, but I'm still impressed by their exponential growth from 2006. I think their 2013 line up greatly made some improvement. The suspension in the GenCpe could still be tweaked but thats what aftermarket is for right? lol
Old 01-28-2013, 12:02 AM   #19
Innova

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I love my Veloster Turbo. You can really feel the additional torque over my brz. Love the gadgets and interior. It's amazing how this car only weighs 100 pounds more than the brz.

2013 BRZ Limited - 6-speed - Namelss, Perrin, Invidia, Unichip.
Innova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:06 AM   #20
Vanga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innova View Post
I love my Veloster Turbo. You can really feel the additional torque over my brz. Love the gadgets and interior. It's amazing how this car only weighs 100 pounds more than the brz.
Its a very good looking car, the only thing I don't understand is that horrid 3rd door. Why??
Old 01-28-2013, 12:44 AM   #21
Innova

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
For my baby seat!!!

2013 BRZ Limited - 6-speed - Namelss, Perrin, Invidia, Unichip.
Innova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:56 AM   #22
DIM

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innova View Post
It's amazing how this car only weighs 100 pounds more than the brz.
But you gotta remember that yhe BRZ is RWD.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #23
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I like the Veloster. I had overall a fair impression of the NA one I test drove when they first came out. My biggest gripe really was that some of the touch points and door panels felt cheap. I participated in a Think Tank chat when they were talking about the "sporty version" before they officially announced the turbo model. The problem is they fudged the gearing and didn't put in a LSD. They went for a sporty car and then said "well, you know what, let's go for MPG instead of a hot hatch."

Having the manufacturer there doesn't mean the car will be any better or worse though. Just look at James May's rant about Nurburgring testing.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #24
wrxgoose
WUB WUB

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Thanked 1,573 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
James Mays will hate it.
wrxgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #25
Entroper

Drives: 2019 MX-5 RF GT-S, 2002 Miata LS
Garage
Quote:
But I think the Genesis Coupe and the Veloster Turbo have the same problem, plenty of power, but the handling isn't there. That was my impression on my Veloster Turbo test drive, and it's what I've seen in every review of the Genesis Coupe. Hyundai have figured out how to build cars that are awesome on paper, but not fun to drive.

Maybe after enough laps around the `ring, they'll figure out the last part. We'll see.
Entroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #26
Vanga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entroper View Post
But I think the Genesis Coupe and the Veloster Turbo have the same problem, plenty of power, but the handling isn't there. That was my impression on my Veloster Turbo test drive, and it's what I've seen in every review of the Genesis Coupe. Hyundai have figured out how to build cars that are awesome on paper, but not fun to drive.

Maybe after enough laps around the `ring, they'll figure out the last part. We'll see.
See, I would disagree with you on your satatement. If you read the article below by Motor Trend, the only complaints they have is the power seat not going low enough and a little bit of under steer. That's it.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...t/viewall.html
Old 01-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #27
Neziah

Drives: 2013 HotLava FRS, 2005 Legacy
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I had a NA veloster. Pretty nifty little car for the price, but the suspension sucked balls, and not in the good way. If Hyundai ever figure out how to do suspensions they will start kicking some serious ass. It is great how they have made huge strides to get better and better.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #28
muffinman

Drives: -
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
See, I would disagree with you on your satatement. If you read the article below by Motor Trend, the only complaints they have is the power seat not going low enough and a little bit of under steer. That's it.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...t/viewall.html
They also say the manual trans could be better and that was when the car is new. Found thison a hyundai forum where they say 50% of stick shift gencoupes have a grind. Automatics seem to be well built and even handling more boost well. http://www.gencoupe.com/2-0t-discuss...es-anyone.html
muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote