follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #4957
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
I'll take another look later. I was lazy and had my friend's shop put it in, so I don't know if they had to trim the shroud or not. It wasn't evident on my quick look earlier.
I'll be interested to hear what you find. Thanks for checking.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #4958
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,519 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
I'll be interested to hear what you find. Thanks for checking.
There doesn't appear to be any cutting. I can't get a good look at the lower left outlet, but the shroud near the upper right was untouched. The oil lines connect along the side so there's no interference there either.

I fired off a question to my friend asking about any modification, I'll let you know what he says.

Maybe there was a revision I don't know about.

To tug this back On Topic..

The Robispec radiator seems to push everything forward. So the exchanger wouldn't fit behind the bumper beam. I had to bend the tabs on the mounting brackets and coax the condenser lower to get it to clear. I think I might pick up a "drift bar" in the future and get everything where it should be.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:02 PM   #4959
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
There doesn't appear to be any cutting. I can't get a good look at the lower left outlet, but the shroud near the upper right was untouched. The oil lines connect along the side so there's no interference there either.

I fired off a question to my friend asking about any modification, I'll let you know what he says.

Maybe there was a revision I don't know about.

To tug this back On Topic..

The Robispec radiator seems to push everything forward. So the exchanger wouldn't fit behind the bumper beam. I had to bend the tabs on the mounting brackets and coax the condenser lower to get it to clear. I think I might pick up a "drift bar" in the future and get everything where it should be.
I'd like to hear what your friend says. It was the lower outlet that was the issue for us.

Also, the AN fittings on the side were interfering with the ac hard lines.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:10 PM   #4960
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicdrivr View Post
I'd like to hear what your friend says. It was the lower outlet that was the issue for us.

The AC lines can be just bent out of the way.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #4961
civicdrivr

Quote:
The AC lines can be just bent out of the way.
Yea, didn't exactly feel comfortable with that on a car that isn't mine.
xjohnx (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #4962
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
thanks guys, perrin oil cooler will be here tomorrow thanks to rallysportdirect. looks like i've got something to keep me occupied once arthur blows over.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 11:20 PM   #4963
civicdrivr

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
thanks guys, perrin oil cooler will be here tomorrow thanks to rallysportdirect. looks like i've got something to keep me occupied once arthur blows over.
Garage. You needs it.
xjohnx (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #4964
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicdrivr View Post

So according to my friend, there was a lot of trimming. I guess it's just not evident from the top.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Draco-REX For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (07-03-2014), xjohnx (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #4965
ptuning

Drives: White FR-S
Thanked 1,003 Times in 305 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Hopefully posting here is the clean and simple way of gauging interest in a potential Innovative SC specific product vs. starting another new thread. If not, please let us know and we'll just start another thread. We're looking to possibly develop a passenger-side intake system for the Innovative SC to work along with our PTUNING Laminova Oil/Water Cooling System.

Should there be interest in such a product, we'd likely start the prototyping process and dyno testing process right after delivery of our header, WMI system, and oil cooler system, hopefully early next month. We just didn't want to start another project until we've delivered on our current products.

Anyhow, we're looking to develop a short tube intake system that feeds through a shroud similar to the way we have the intake mounted on our PTUNING turbo system. We may opt to run a more elaborate shroud for the filter on this application though since we'll likely use a smaller 3" intake vs. the 4" one required with our turbo set-up.

Like all of our products, we would dyno tune and test it before it ever makes it into production. The intake would also likely include a PnP MAF extension harness to make installation a simple process.

Use of the proposed intake would allow Innovative SC owners to use our proven air to water Laminova based oil cooling system. The oil cooler is fully PnP and negates the needs to bend AC lines, cut fender liners, move radiators and IC rads. Our oil cooler system brings the water temps up quickly and maintains ideal water temps on the track.

*** The oil sender block shown in the pic will be optional. Allows you to run aftermarket oil pressure and/or temp sensors ***

- Toan
ptuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ptuning For This Useful Post:
akuhei (07-03-2014), civicdrivr (07-03-2014), evan (07-06-2014), Lawnik (07-03-2014), MINOCIN (07-04-2014), Turdinator (07-05-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 05:18 PM   #4966
ICantAffordAnLFA

Drives: Brz, Legacy
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Did a custom fit on my Perrin cooler, behind the drivers side driving light, with some stealthy ducting to feed it cold air.

ICantAffordAnLFA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ICantAffordAnLFA For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #4967
JesseE

Drives: LS Swapped BRZ
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basket Case View Post
I know Ian oil cooler is a must for any FI application. What I am more concerned with is the water/air intercooler heat soaking either in traffic or after a few laps on a track in the he florida heat causing the IAT's to raise significantly and cause detonation. Every review I read are from people loving up north complaining about 80's being hot, lol...
I don't have a oil cooler been running my setup for about a year we have 110+ days here in Arizona and I've never had any problems... I do want a Oil cooler and ill get one before I road race it.. but for daily driving I have never had any issues even in 110+ heat
JesseE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:54 PM   #4968
sam69

Drives: GT 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseE View Post
I don't have a oil cooler been running my setup for about a year we have 110+ days here in Arizona and I've never had any problems... I do want a Oil cooler and ill get one before I road race it.. but for daily driving I have never had any issues even in 110+ heat

What oil are you using have you gone for a higher viscosity ?
sam69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:16 PM   #4969
Lawnik

Drives: Flat grey Toyota 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptuning View Post
Hopefully posting here is the clean and simple way of gauging interest in a potential Innovative SC specific product vs. starting another new thread. If not, please let us know and we'll just start another thread. We're looking to possibly develop a passenger-side intake system for the Innovative SC to work along with our PTUNING Laminova Oil/Water Cooling System.

Should there be interest in such a product, we'd likely start the prototyping process and dyno testing process right after delivery of our header, WMI system, and oil cooler system, hopefully early next month. We just didn't want to start another project until we've delivered on our current products.

Anyhow, we're looking to develop a short tube intake system that feeds through a shroud similar to the way we have the intake mounted on our PTUNING turbo system. We may opt to run a more elaborate shroud for the filter on this application though since we'll likely use a smaller 3" intake vs. the 4" one required with our turbo set-up.

Like all of our products, we would dyno tune and test it before it ever makes it into production. The intake would also likely include a PnP MAF extension harness to make installation a simple process.

Use of the proposed intake would allow Innovative SC owners to use our proven air to water Laminova based oil cooling system. The oil cooler is fully PnP and negates the needs to bend AC lines, cut fender liners, move radiators and IC rads. Our oil cooler system brings the water temps up quickly and maintains ideal water temps on the track.

*** The oil sender block shown in the pic will be optional. Allows you to run aftermarket oil pressure and/or temp sensors ***

- Toan
I have been waiting for someone to propose this. I am interested, especially if you can get a 3" down behind the passenger headlight and into the front bumper.
Lawnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #4970
ptuning

Drives: White FR-S
Thanked 1,003 Times in 305 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnik View Post
I have been waiting for someone to propose this. I am interested, especially if you can get a 3" down behind the passenger headlight and into the front bumper.
I don't think it would be possible to run a 3" tube through the headlight opening on both the BRZ and FR-S. Our plan is to bring the fresh air to the filter, rather than the filter to the fresh air. At the end of the day though, we're ultimately looking to improve upon the performance of the long stock plastic intake tube and OEM airbox.

- Toan
ptuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ptuning For This Useful Post:
Calum (07-07-2014), Dustin (07-07-2014), Lawnik (07-07-2014), sam69 (07-07-2014)

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.