follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 09-05-2017, 10:43 AM   #29
unhappymeal

Drives: 2018 Miata RF, 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
Maybe we could get back on topic and stop talking about the clutch pedal of the Twins?

I drove a FoRS this past weekend in the NC mountains. Was equipped with the sticky Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. Didn't really care for the driving position. With the seat down low I felt like I was in a bathtub. Window sill and dashboard seemed high. I adjusted the seat upwards to fix that, but overall it's an usual move for me b/c I'm 6'2". Wasn't super fond of the spacing between the steering wheel, shifter and pedals. Had difficulty shifting quickly between gears due to clutch pedal feel. The shifter itself was nice, however.

The engine seemed pretty good. Responsive for a turbo engine, though one could still notice the lag. Exhaust note was too quiet for my tastes, but when you could hear it it was nice. Seemed strongest in the mid range, and felt like it really started to tail off after 6000 rpm.

No hint of understeer even on the tightest of turns, though the front tires did look a bit chewed up on the edges after we were done driving for the day.

Based on vehicle weight power the power to weight ratio should be very similar to my car, but it didn't feel that way to me. Didn't notice the torque advantage. The gears of the FoRS are significantly shorter than the Porsche which should have further helped it out. Fun practical car, but nothing about driving it made me want it over my 987. Which is a very good thing I'd say, lol.
Were you primarily in 1st and 2nd and how often were you WOT?

The Focus RS suffers from one of the rarely talked about things I hate about modern turbos: computer controlled boost. When I first drove the FoRS, I had the same thought: "This does not feel like a 350 hp/350 lb. ft. car". Then I hopped on the forums and found out the ECU restricts boost in 1st and 2nd, presumably to help with torque steer and durability. Check out Savagegeese's review of the car and you will see the same observations.

Also, the rated output of 350/350 is only during overboost (WOT) and on 93 octane. Outside of overboost, you're at 325/324. Drop down to 91 octane and you're losing another 10 - 20 horsepower and torque.

It's definitely a fun car that handles extremely well, but I am not at all fond of the gamesmanship Ford used to achieve the advertised power output.
unhappymeal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to unhappymeal For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 05:16 PM   #30
Venator

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisnick4 View Post
I traded in my FR-S two weeks ago for an RS and my only complaint so far is the seating position, mainly how it angles my knees up into the steering wheel. Haven't quite found a good position in it yet.

Sit with the seat back as close to upright as is comfortable, then it’s not bad at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:20 PM   #31
Venator

Ford Focus RS review

Quote:
Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
Were you primarily in 1st and 2nd and how often were you WOT?

The Focus RS suffers from one of the rarely talked about things I hate about modern turbos: computer controlled boost. When I first drove the FoRS, I had the same thought: "This does not feel like a 350 hp/350 lb. ft. car". Then I hopped on the forums and found out the ECU restricts boost in 1st and 2nd, presumably to help with torque steer and durability. Check out Savagegeese's review of the car and you will see the same observations.

Also, the rated output of 350/350 is only during overboost (WOT) and on 93 octane. Outside of overboost, you're at 325/324. Drop down to 91 octane and you're losing another 10 - 20 horsepower and torque.

It's definitely a fun car that handles extremely well, but I am not at all fond of the gamesmanship Ford used to achieve the advertised power output.

Mountune rates it at 335/365 whp on 91 octane. Dyno numbers are absolutely useless look at its track times, it does really well. Usually on top of much more expensive cars. Also not sure how comparing a car to another that’s almost 20k more expensive and a coupe is a fair comparison.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:35 PM   #32
unhappymeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venator View Post
Mountune rates it at 335/365 whp on 91 octane. Dyno numbers are absolutely useless look at its track times, it does really well. Usually on top of much more expensive cars. Also not sure how comparing a car to another that’s almost 20k more expensive and a coupe is a fair comparison.

Again, wide open throttle opportunities abound on the track. As for dynos, grain of salt. We have dynos claiming Type-Rs are putting down 300 at the wheels; yet, it traps exactly as a ~2800 lb, 300 bhp car should trap.

Edit: The power numbers are not dynos. Those are Ford's own numbers. Also, I didn't compare it to more expensive cars. I just offered an explanation as to what he may have been experiencing.
The Following User Says Thank You to unhappymeal For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 08:07 AM   #33
Venator

Quote:
Again, wide open throttle opportunities abound on the track. As for dynos, grain of salt. We have dynos claiming Type-Rs are putting down 300 at the wheels; yet, it traps exactly as a ~2800 lb, 300 bhp car should trap.

Edit: The power numbers are not dynos. Those are Ford's own numbers. Also, I didn't compare it to more expensive cars. I just offered an explanation as to what he may have been experiencing.

The power numbers that Ford offers are 350/350. I assumed the 325/324 numbers you used were off some dyno.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:27 AM   #34
unhappymeal

Quote:
The power numbers that Ford offers are 350/350. I assumed the 325/324 numbers you used were off some dyno.

350/350 is from their marketing brief and that is with overboost and 93 octane. Without it the official numbers are 325/324 (on 93 octane).
Old 09-06-2017, 09:49 AM   #35
Venator

Quote:
350/350 is from their marketing brief and that is with overboost and 93 octane. Without it the official numbers are 325/324 (on 93 octane).

From where?

Old 09-06-2017, 09:49 AM   #36
unhappymeal

Quote:
From where?

It was in a pre-release brief. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:56 AM   #37
Venator

Quote:
It was in a pre-release brief. I'll see if I can dig it up.

That would be cool, I haven’t seen any of the pre release stuff.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:54 PM   #38
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Sit with the seat back as close to upright as is comfortable, then it’s not bad at all.
If you have long thighs then I can see how it won't be too bad.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:43 AM   #39
unhappymeal

Quote:
That would be cool, I haven’t seen any of the pre release stuff.

Still digging for the non-overboost curve, but here's the official curve with overboost. Note, that it confirms what he felt when power fell off at 6,000 before the red line.

http://www.focusrs.org/forum/attachm...e_ecoboost.jpg