follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-05-2017, 10:43 AM   #29
unhappymeal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Drives: 2018 Miata RF, 2017 Golf R
Location: Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 250
Thanks: 163
Thanked 267 Times in 114 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
Maybe we could get back on topic and stop talking about the clutch pedal of the Twins?

I drove a FoRS this past weekend in the NC mountains. Was equipped with the sticky Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. Didn't really care for the driving position. With the seat down low I felt like I was in a bathtub. Window sill and dashboard seemed high. I adjusted the seat upwards to fix that, but overall it's an usual move for me b/c I'm 6'2". Wasn't super fond of the spacing between the steering wheel, shifter and pedals. Had difficulty shifting quickly between gears due to clutch pedal feel. The shifter itself was nice, however.

The engine seemed pretty good. Responsive for a turbo engine, though one could still notice the lag. Exhaust note was too quiet for my tastes, but when you could hear it it was nice. Seemed strongest in the mid range, and felt like it really started to tail off after 6000 rpm.

No hint of understeer even on the tightest of turns, though the front tires did look a bit chewed up on the edges after we were done driving for the day.

Based on vehicle weight power the power to weight ratio should be very similar to my car, but it didn't feel that way to me. Didn't notice the torque advantage. The gears of the FoRS are significantly shorter than the Porsche which should have further helped it out. Fun practical car, but nothing about driving it made me want it over my 987. Which is a very good thing I'd say, lol.
Were you primarily in 1st and 2nd and how often were you WOT?

The Focus RS suffers from one of the rarely talked about things I hate about modern turbos: computer controlled boost. When I first drove the FoRS, I had the same thought: "This does not feel like a 350 hp/350 lb. ft. car". Then I hopped on the forums and found out the ECU restricts boost in 1st and 2nd, presumably to help with torque steer and durability. Check out Savagegeese's review of the car and you will see the same observations.

Also, the rated output of 350/350 is only during overboost (WOT) and on 93 octane. Outside of overboost, you're at 325/324. Drop down to 91 octane and you're losing another 10 - 20 horsepower and torque.

It's definitely a fun car that handles extremely well, but I am not at all fond of the gamesmanship Ford used to achieve the advertised power output.
unhappymeal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to unhappymeal For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 05:16 PM   #30
Venator
Senior Member
 
Venator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Location: Central PA
Posts: 315
Thanks: 159
Thanked 59 Times in 43 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisnick4 View Post
I traded in my FR-S two weeks ago for an RS and my only complaint so far is the seating position, mainly how it angles my knees up into the steering wheel. Haven't quite found a good position in it yet.


Sit with the seat back as close to upright as is comfortable, then itís not bad at all.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
And Jezza spake unto them and proclaimed that he who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling.


Venator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:20 PM   #31
Venator
Senior Member
 
Venator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Location: Central PA
Posts: 315
Thanks: 159
Thanked 59 Times in 43 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ford Focus RS review

Quote:
Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
Were you primarily in 1st and 2nd and how often were you WOT?

The Focus RS suffers from one of the rarely talked about things I hate about modern turbos: computer controlled boost. When I first drove the FoRS, I had the same thought: "This does not feel like a 350 hp/350 lb. ft. car". Then I hopped on the forums and found out the ECU restricts boost in 1st and 2nd, presumably to help with torque steer and durability. Check out Savagegeese's review of the car and you will see the same observations.

Also, the rated output of 350/350 is only during overboost (WOT) and on 93 octane. Outside of overboost, you're at 325/324. Drop down to 91 octane and you're losing another 10 - 20 horsepower and torque.

It's definitely a fun car that handles extremely well, but I am not at all fond of the gamesmanship Ford used to achieve the advertised power output.


Mountune rates it at 335/365 whp on 91 octane. Dyno numbers are absolutely useless look at its track times, it does really well. Usually on top of much more expensive cars. Also not sure how comparing a car to another thatís almost 20k more expensive and a coupe is a fair comparison.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
And Jezza spake unto them and proclaimed that he who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling.


Venator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:35 PM   #32
unhappymeal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Drives: 2018 Miata RF, 2017 Golf R
Location: Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 250
Thanks: 163
Thanked 267 Times in 114 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venator View Post
Mountune rates it at 335/365 whp on 91 octane. Dyno numbers are absolutely useless look at its track times, it does really well. Usually on top of much more expensive cars. Also not sure how comparing a car to another that’s almost 20k more expensive and a coupe is a fair comparison.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Again, wide open throttle opportunities abound on the track. As for dynos, grain of salt. We have dynos claiming Type-Rs are putting down 300 at the wheels; yet, it traps exactly as a ~2800 lb, 300 bhp car should trap.

Edit: The power numbers are not dynos. Those are Ford's own numbers. Also, I didn't compare it to more expensive cars. I just offered an explanation as to what he may have been experiencing.
unhappymeal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to unhappymeal For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 08:07 AM   #33
Venator
Senior Member
 
Venator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Location: Central PA
Posts: 315
Thanks: 159
Thanked 59 Times in 43 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
Again, wide open throttle opportunities abound on the track. As for dynos, grain of salt. We have dynos claiming Type-Rs are putting down 300 at the wheels; yet, it traps exactly as a ~2800 lb, 300 bhp car should trap.

Edit: The power numbers are not dynos. Those are Ford's own numbers. Also, I didn't compare it to more expensive cars. I just offered an explanation as to what he may have been experiencing.


The power numbers that Ford offers are 350/350. I assumed the 325/324 numbers you used were off some dyno.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
And Jezza spake unto them and proclaimed that he who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling.


Venator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:27 AM   #34
unhappymeal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Drives: 2018 Miata RF, 2017 Golf R
Location: Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 250
Thanks: 163
Thanked 267 Times in 114 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venator View Post
The power numbers that Ford offers are 350/350. I assumed the 325/324 numbers you used were off some dyno.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
350/350 is from their marketing brief and that is with overboost and 93 octane. Without it the official numbers are 325/324 (on 93 octane).
unhappymeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:49 AM   #35
Venator
Senior Member
 
Venator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Location: Central PA
Posts: 315
Thanks: 159
Thanked 59 Times in 43 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
350/350 is from their marketing brief and that is with overboost and 93 octane. Without it the official numbers are 325/324 (on 93 octane).


From where?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
And Jezza spake unto them and proclaimed that he who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling.


Venator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:49 AM   #36
unhappymeal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Drives: 2018 Miata RF, 2017 Golf R
Location: Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 250
Thanks: 163
Thanked 267 Times in 114 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venator View Post
From where?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was in a pre-release brief. I'll see if I can dig it up.
unhappymeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:56 AM   #37
Venator
Senior Member
 
Venator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Location: Central PA
Posts: 315
Thanks: 159
Thanked 59 Times in 43 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
It was in a pre-release brief. I'll see if I can dig it up.


That would be cool, I havenít seen any of the pre release stuff.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
And Jezza spake unto them and proclaimed that he who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling.


Venator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:54 PM   #38
krayzie
Elite Transmissionist
 
krayzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Location: Filth City
Posts: 4,892
Thanks: 2,356
Thanked 3,089 Times in 1,995 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venator View Post
Sit with the seat back as close to upright as is comfortable, then it’s not bad at all.
If you have long thighs then I can see how it won't be too bad.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:43 AM   #39
unhappymeal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Drives: 2018 Miata RF, 2017 Golf R
Location: Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 250
Thanks: 163
Thanked 267 Times in 114 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venator View Post
That would be cool, I havenít seen any of the pre release stuff.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Still digging for the non-overboost curve, but here's the official curve with overboost. Note, that it confirms what he felt when power fell off at 6,000 before the red line.

http://www.focusrs.org/forum/attachm...e_ecoboost.jpg
unhappymeal is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2016 Ford Focus RS Shagaliscious Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 333 03-01-2016 01:53 AM
FT 2013 Ford Focus ST WTB BRZ/FRS MI MSUBRZ Cars for Sale/Trade 8 05-20-2015 08:05 PM
FR-S/BRZ vs 2013 Ford Focus ST II Wes B. FR-S / BRZ vs.... 85 04-14-2014 04:20 PM
330hp Ford Focus RS coming soon LS13 FR-S / BRZ vs.... 53 07-11-2013 07:23 AM
FR-S vs 2012 Ford Focus ST lunchbox FR-S / BRZ vs.... 162 08-03-2012 10:07 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.