follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #155
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardus View Post
I wouldn't go for Titanium on the headers, do you have any idea what happens to Ti at 600+ °C?

Realibility is more important than weight in that department, also it's all weight under the engine, it's so low that it doesn't affect much the whole dynamics of the car.
Titanium's melting point is at 1668 C, sooooo I'm not sure what you're on about....
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #156
Gardus@Supersprint
Banned

Drives: Clio TCE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I doesn't melt but it starts to absorb oxygen, and at the temperatures close to the head it gets very fragile so the welds on the flange and the primary pipes tend to crack.
Gardus@Supersprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #157
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I doesn't melt but it starts to absorb oxygen, and at the temperatures close to the head it gets very fragile so the welds on the flange and the primary pipes tend to crack.
That doesn't seem to be a problem on bike headers. Nor on certain old F1 cars (AAR 'timag').

I've had some Ti deliberately improperly welded without back purging to test the popular belief that it will suck up O2 and N2 out of the air and create a completely brittle and fragile weld area. Not entirely the case.

We will be looking to experiment with something a bit more serious in the future but believe a lot of the talk is to scare noobs safe and proper design and production will easily work around this. Keep in mind that poorly manufacturer 304 headers will also frequently crack at the same spot.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:35 PM   #158
chewyv

Drives: One DD, one weekend and one family.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'll be making my own as well. I'm thinking, convert to a single exit. Did anyone else see the picture of the under carriage? I'm not sure if the picture was taken at a bad angle or what, but I hope there wont be any clearance issues.
chewyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:26 AM   #159
Gardus@Supersprint
Banned

For what I've seen the rear muffler has to be either very small or mounted trasversally.

It looks like the 350z rear muffler.

The car is very small and lightly build and it's NA, so I think it'll drone if you go too thin with the pipe walls or if the muffler is too small.

Back to the Titanium issue, bike Ti headers are not very popular on road bikes, also the temperature is much lower usually than car headers due to the air flow.
On old F1 cars they had titanium exhaust systems for the qualifying laps but they switched to steel for the race!
Now they use inconel which combines the lightness of TI and no crack issue at high temperatures.
As with SS, also with TI there are a lot of different alloys, when you see a cheap-ish Ti system usually the material quality is very low.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #160
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
For what I've seen the rear muffler has to be either very small or mounted trasversally.

It looks like the 350z rear muffler.

The car is very small and lightly build and it's NA, so I think it'll drone if you go too thin with the pipe walls or if the muffler is too small.

Back to the Titanium issue, bike Ti headers are not very popular on road bikes, also the temperature is much lower usually than car headers due to the air flow.
On old F1 cars they had titanium exhaust systems for the qualifying laps but they switched to steel for the race!
Now they use inconel which combines the lightness of TI and no crack issue at high temperatures.
As with SS, also with TI there are a lot of different alloys, when you see a cheap-ish Ti system usually the material quality is very low.
We'll see. The Dan Gurney TiMag car didn't switch off theirs and still has its original headers on in historic racing afaik.

Bike airflow wouldn't be an issue as the gas absorbsion would be on the inside of the tube. There are some other issues that may be causing the cracking. The expansion difference (same issue as with SS as Ti expands just a bit less than SS) and the rate of heat conductivity. Ti transfers heat very slowly and aluminum rather quickly so coupled with different expansion rates cracks are possible but again SS has similar issues. But Ti has superior high temp relative strength and fatigue resistance.

Getting to the different alloys is interesting. Grade 2 commercially pure has been recommended for exhausts. But what a lot of people don't realize is CP2 isn't very strong. It's about between 6061-T6 aluminum and 1018 mild steel strength-wise. People automatically equate Ti with almost magical strength. Not the case. So on the more stressed headers they may be under built for the loads.

We will be experimenting with CP2 for exhaust piping which should have no gas absorbsion issues. Then we will be evaluating its suitability for headers in seamless and welded tube forms with concern for mechanical stresses and corrosion against 321SS.
We will also be comparing CP2's performance in headers to the much stronger Ti 3Al 2.5V seamless tubing. Plus a few more tricks...

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #161
illmatic

Drives: BRZ Limited 6MT, 02 AW, 03PSM WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Prova center exit with diffuser
illmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #162
whitejdm

Drives: BRZ prem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic View Post

YES...
That also looks like a nice diffuser if you want to do a single exit exhaust on one side and just mesh or cover the front outlet.
whitejdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #163
Gardus@Supersprint
Banned

Is it ABS or glassfibre?
Old 04-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #164
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,519 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic View Post
Oh my... That's just too cool. I just wish the can was smaller.

2K-3K though...
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #165
JohnnyR

Drives: 04 Evo 8
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
What? No "Kazuma" exhaust from TRD? Loved that on my Celica GT-S.
JohnnyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #166
Slartibartfast
Klaatu barada nikto

Drives: Raven FR-S MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
http://performancedrive.com.au/prova...ack-edition-1/

http://performancedrive.com.au/wp-co...-Edition-2.jpg

Forgive me if this was already posted. I came across these in a search for the Prova exhaust installed.

I vow to do no harm.
2013 Raven FR-S Manual "Lenore"
1985 Silver RX-7 GSL-SE (Gone and missed)
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #167
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
That doesn't look very good mounted or perhaps it's the angle. I like the idea, but I'm not sure on that execution.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #168
whitejdm

Drives: BRZ prem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
That doesn't look very good mounted or perhaps it's the angle. I like the idea, but I'm not sure on that execution.
Yup the more I look at it on the car the more I'm turned off a bit (maybe it's just the car itself that bugs me). I'm sure there will be tons of different options for a diffuser, but I'm really wanting to go with a single exit of some kind so hopefully someone will make something that fits the bill.
whitejdm is offline   Reply With Quote