follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-21-2015, 01:16 AM   #43
Cojonudo
I'm New

Drives: 2016 Limited Subaru BRZ White Pearl
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post
Congrats dude.

Compared to the shitty Corolla I had (120 hp to the crank), this car is both luxurious and fast!

Hope you enjoy the thing for a long time to come.
I actually drove a corolla before my BRZ as well but it wasn't my car. So, I consider this car my first car but first car I have ever driven was a corolla.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:47 AM   #44
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojonudo View Post
Oh I am not. I'm not looking to modify it any time soon haha. I just wanted to know what other thought about turbo or supercharging a BRZ and yes I'm under 20 haha
The most dangerous time in any driver's life is that period between "Hey, I'm getting good at this" and that first life changing humbling experience which hopefully doesn't end in serious injury or worse.

This car is a snappy little go kart but it does not break the laws of physics. It WILL bite you so spend the next few years developing your sense of judgement and control. Of course you're going to stretch its legs. Just do it when no one else is around. It's one thing to be a danger to yourself. Please make sure you are never a danger to others. Watch the other assholes on the road and make a point of never being that guy.

The BEST thing you can do is sign up for an HDPE session and get out onto a track with an instructor. Spending a day driving at 9/10ths will help you realize that you are not Ayrton Senna and public roads are no place to fuck around.

Am I making a bunch of assumptions about you? Yes. Am I wrong? Probably not. I'm just lecturing the 18 year old version of myself. I did some seriously stupid shit back then.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:20 AM   #45
Cojonudo
I'm New

Drives: 2016 Limited Subaru BRZ White Pearl
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
The most dangerous time in any driver's life is that period between "Hey, I'm getting good at this" and that first life changing humbling experience which hopefully doesn't end in serious injury or worse.

This car is a snappy little go kart but it does not break the laws of physics. It WILL bite you so spend the next few years developing your sense of judgement and control. Of course you're going to stretch its legs. Just do it when no one else is around. It's one thing to be a danger to yourself. Please make sure you are never a danger to others. Watch the other assholes on the road and make a point of never being that guy.

The BEST thing you can do is sign up for an HDPE session and get out onto a track with an instructor. Spending a day driving at 9/10ths will help you realize that you are not Ayrton Senna and public roads are no place to fuck around.

Am I making a bunch of assumptions about you? Yes. Am I wrong? Probably not. I'm just lecturing the 18 year old version of myself. I did some seriously stupid shit back then.
Thank you I really do appreciate it!
Ultramaroon (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 02:32 AM   #46
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojonudo View Post
Thank you I really do appreciate it!
Wishing the best for you.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:32 AM   #47
Johnny.

Drives: A work in progress.
The 86 was my first car as well haha. You should consider getting a clear bra or some protection for the front end. Only had mine for a year so far and there are tons of rock chips.
Johnny. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 05:08 PM   #48
Side

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny. View Post
The 86 was my first car as well haha. You should consider getting a clear bra or some protection for the front end. Only had mine for a year so far and there are tons of rock chips.
I agree.

If you know you'll be upset by rock chips and scratches, get it clearbra'd. It was the first thing I did.
Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 02:19 AM   #49
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
My first car had twice the weight, half the power, and 1/10th the handling ability (but 500x the ride quality - floating on air, sitting on a sofa... front bench seat came in handy too. ) - sorry, point being it was rwd, so I got it sideways all the time in the rain and snow and if you put your foot on the gas long enough it would hit triple digits. I got my first speeding ticket in the first month of ownership - floored it leaving a parking lot, about 12 seconds later hit 60mph, in a 35 zone, as a cop was driving towards me. Ugh. (25 over was a HUGE ticket!)

So, by comparison the BRZ has LOADS of power. It can go fast. Maybe not in 4 seconds, maybe it take 7 seconds, or it can "only" do about 140mph on the highway instead of 170mph that faster cars can do. Both speeds will land you in jail. The "under powered" feeling is actually over-engineering of the handling and brakes. The car could take more power and still be very controllable. But don't consider it as slow. Also, it can corner fast - real fast. (but also spin out if you corner too fast)

Bottom line: congrats on the new car. Its not what I would call a great first car bc its low and you will really have to learn defensive driving fast! (avoid SUV blind spots, keep a free zone around you, note that you can likely stop MUCH quicker than the car behind you, etc) Take care of the car, and it will take care of you. Take a driving course on car control if you can - you'll get a lot out of it and learn how to control a drift or hydroplane, etc.
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ashtray For This Useful Post:
Cmorris8848 (12-26-2015), Hoahao (12-27-2015), new2subaru (12-26-2015), ollie (12-26-2015), Ultramaroon (12-26-2015)
Old 12-26-2015, 02:26 AM   #50
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtray View Post
My first car had twice the weight, half the power, and 1/10th the handling ability (but 500x the ride quality - floating on air, sitting on a sofa... front bench seat came in handy too. ) - sorry, point being it was rwd, so I got it sideways all the time in the rain and snow and if you put your foot on the gas long enough it would hit triple digits. I got my first speeding ticket in the first month of ownership - floored it leaving a parking lot, about 12 seconds later hit 60mph, in a 35 zone, as a cop was driving towards me. Ugh. (25 over was a HUGE ticket!)

So, by comparison the BRZ has LOADS of power. It can go fast. Maybe not in 4 seconds, maybe it take 7 seconds, or it can "only" do about 140mph on the highway instead of 170mph that faster cars can do. Both speeds will land you in jail. The "under powered" feeling is actually over-engineering of the handling and brakes. The car could take more power and still be very controllable. But don't consider it as slow. Also, it can corner fast - real fast. (but also spin out if you corner too fast)

Bottom line: congrats on the new car. Its not what I would call a great first car bc its low and you will really have to learn defensive driving fast! (avoid SUV blind spots, keep a free zone around you, note that you can likely stop MUCH quicker than the car behind you, etc) Take care of the car, and it will take care of you. Take a driving course on car control if you can - you'll get a lot out of it and learn how to control a drift or hydroplane, etc.
This is probably the most accurate, insightful and well phrased thing I have ever read on this forum.

Well said Sir, well said indeed!
Old 12-26-2015, 02:29 PM   #51
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtray View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
This is probably the most accurate, insightful and well phrased thing I have ever read on this forum.

Well said Sir, well said indeed!
100% agreed. The exceptional handling will lull the novice into a seriously false sense of security.