follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 02-26-2015, 12:42 AM   #99
winsometang

Drives: Scion F-RS 2013 Asphalt MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Frs/Brz twins might just be the worst cars i ever driven.
winsometang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:24 AM   #100
atledreier

Drives: GT86 DGM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I drove a Merc SL55AMG once. It felt heavy, the pull was decent but nowhere near the hype, and it just felt like a big old Merc with the roof sawed off. Which it is, in a way so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.
atledreier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:03 AM   #101
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by winsometang View Post
Easy fix for that!

Dream20b (02-26-2015), ripper (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 08:00 AM   #102
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,937 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
What? the Fiero was mid-engine. How could you fit an LS engine in there? .
As shown ^above^ by @Malt plenty of room with the right shoehorn. When I did a search for pictures, this was by far my practical favorite:

then if you don't mind losing the trunk there's this one:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65-VhSWspVE&feature=player_detailpage#t=195"]1984 Pontiac Fiero Supercharged V-8 - YouTube[/ame]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
I remember that with the I-4 engine, water would drip down from the engine air vent onto the drive belts and if there was enough water and it got cold enough, they would freeze up. Nice design.
MK1 MR2 had a similar problem as well. It leaked on the alternator, causing the pulley to go bad. In fact, its one of the things you have to look out for when buying a new one. It sounds like a really bad engine knock, so you have to make sure its the alternator and not the engine.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 02-26-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Teseo (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 09:19 AM   #103
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by winsometang View Post
GTFO
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZZZZZZZZZZ For This Useful Post:
AVodka14 (02-27-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 04:36 PM   #104
Dream20b
Y u do dis?

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFIFE22 View Post
In fact (and this may be sacrilege to most people), I actually enjoyed driving the Z4 with the twin turbo I6 a lot more. Something about 2 seats and the exhaust of a I6 crackling away behind me stuck with me more than driving the M3

Thought I was the only one.

Clearly you have no clue what you are talking about. Everything you said was completely and utterly the ramblings of a babbling idiot regurgitating garbage from his mouth. Everyone here is now dumber from reading your post. Please die now.
Dream20b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:42 PM   #105
Dream20b
Y u do dis?

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I had a love hate relationship with my Solstice GXP. I would love it when I was racing things like luxury cars and blowing them away with my little 4 banger, and then 5 minutes later I would hate it because the intercooler couplers would blow off

Clearly you have no clue what you are talking about. Everything you said was completely and utterly the ramblings of a babbling idiot regurgitating garbage from his mouth. Everyone here is now dumber from reading your post. Please die now.
Dream20b is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dream20b For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-27-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 07:04 PM   #106
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
^ hahahaha

I haven't driven a car that disappointed me. I love all my beaters...even my friends 63 Beatle. Love that thing. Probably cuz all the cars I had were dead on reliable even the beaters.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chaoskaze For This Useful Post:
Dream20b (02-27-2015), Tcoat (02-27-2015), Ultramaroon (02-26-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 09:25 AM   #107
pinski
Stole my avy from zGrinch

Drives: 2015 Audi S3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
For me it would be a 370Z and the '14 Mustang GT. Looked at both before getting a BRZ and the Z's clutch engagement just felt terrible to me, no feel whatsoever. Felt like one of those video game clutches. Turned around less than a mile from the dealer and went back and told them "no thanks."

Mustang GT was just disappointing. Interior felt cheap, seating position was bad, view out of the car was bad, steering was uncommunicative, wallowed a bit in turns, and power wasn't as overwhelming as I thought it would be. Sounded damn good though.

2015 Audi /S3 | Panther Black | DSG
Gone...2014 BRZ, 2010 Lexus IS F-Sport, 2006 Mazda MX5, 1997 Mustang GT
pinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:15 AM   #108
AsianStyle

Drives: Whiteout FR-S MT
Wanted to share some opinion, but didn't want to start a new thread and couldn't think of a thread to post in. Thought this thread might work.

East coast has been getting hammered with snow and bad weather forcing me to take the Mazda CX-5 to work. The CX-5 is a very competent handler. Drives more like a sedan than a high COG SUV.

I've been lusting for the Cayman GT4 since its announcement and since using the FR-S as a daily, I could not picture my next car being anything, but a pure drivers car like the Cayman, Evora, etc...

However with the FR-S sitting in the garage for 2 weeks+ and thinking the CX-5 was fine I started to go back to thinking maybe I could live with less pure drivers car like a WRX, BMW, etc..

Then the other day I got a chance to take the FR-S out again and all those thoughts went out the window. There is no way I would be satisfied with a compromise car like a WRX or the newer fatter BMWs. How someone can think the FR-S is a disappointing car to drive boggles my mind.
AsianStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AsianStyle For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (03-14-2015), kodos78 (05-25-2016), Tcoat (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 03:07 PM   #109
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianStyle View Post
How someone can think the FR-S is a disappointing car to drive boggles my mind.
Playing devils advocate here.

Come from that Cayman your talking about and yes you would feel like the FR-S is a huge disappointment.

I'm actually looking at buying a 2015 Cayman S myself. Cant stop thinking about how much I loved that car. Its like our car but with power and luxury.

The GT4 and GTS are too far out of my price range. Plus the GTS just does not offer enough extra power to justify the massive price increase.

I have a deal right now going with a local Porsche rep. End of next week they submit their yearly orders. She told me if I put down a deposit she will submit the exact build I want and it would be ready by May.
I would finally be able to grab a Cayman S the way I want it and keep the price tag under $70k (which the f'ing dealers never do cause they add tons of shit I dont want to the car).
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tennisfreak For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 03:26 PM   #110
AsianStyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
Playing devils advocate here.

Come from that Cayman your talking about and yes you would feel like the FR-S is a huge disappointment.

I'm actually looking at buying a 2015 Cayman S myself. Cant stop thinking about how much I loved that car. Its like our car but with power and luxury.

The GT4 and GTS are too far out of my price range. Plus the GTS just does not offer enough extra power to justify the massive price increase.

I have a deal right now going with a local Porsche rep. End of next week they submit their yearly orders. She told me if I put down a deposit she will submit the exact build I want and it would be ready by May.
I would finally be able to grab a Cayman S the way I want it and keep the price tag under $70k (which the f'ing dealers never do cause they add tons of shit I dont want to the car).
On the public roads as a DD I really don't think the twins would be a disappointment, even coming from a Cayman. On the track I can see the power deficit showing up and causing disappointment, but on the streets I just don't see it. Also you need to consider the price, the twins being compared to the Cayman already makes it a winner.

Anyways, yea I agree with the GTS not being worth it, but I think every time I've tried to price a Cayman S out it always came above the 70k range. From what I've read the PTV, sport suspension or PASM, exhaust and chrono package is a must. The chrono package's sports mode causes the car to have a night and day difference.

Hmm.. actually pricing the GTS out it seems like it is slight more expensive than the S I priced out, but with nicer wheels and a bit more power. Probably still not worth it, but not as bad as I was originally thinking.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:41 PM   #111
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
As a DD our car is just fine. The power is maybe a little low but nothing killer.

Reason I am shopping is I just had a shit ton of unexpected money dropped into my lap and I want to spend it irresponsibly

I almost purchased a Cayman S when I was shopping for the FR-S. If I had never driven one then I would not know what I am missing.
I also have a friend that gets supplier discount from Chevy. He took me to the site and let me build out a Vette. I can get the exact build I want and save $7k off sticker. Thinking mighty hard about getting me a vette now too.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:53 PM   #112
AsianStyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
As a DD our car is just fine. The power is maybe a little low but nothing killer.

Reason I am shopping is I just had a shit ton of unexpected money dropped into my lap and I want to spend it irresponsibly

I almost purchased a Cayman S when I was shopping for the FR-S. If I had never driven one then I would not know what I am missing.
I also have a friend that gets supplier discount from Chevy. He took me to the site and let me build out a Vette. I can get the exact build I want and save $7k off sticker. Thinking mighty hard about getting me a vette now too.
Nice, the new corvette is the only other car I would consider. Just can't beat its price for performance ratio. Let us know which one you decide on. Are you planning to keeping the FRS?