follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 12-02-2012, 02:14 AM   #57
RaceR

Drives: 2010 Cooper S, 74 Beetle
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by einzlr View Post
I think there are plenty of us who admire your car

1300kg is also about the curb weight of my M Coupe (the M Roadster shares 90% of the parts, but is heavier due to chassis stiffening). I thought older BMW's were money sinks - interesting to hear that the MR2 was so much worse. Was it more expensive because the parts cost more? Because more stuff broke (and/or wore out)? ???

My MR2 needed a new engine block, catalytic converters (all2/3 of them!), several O2 sensors, some fuel injectors, some bearing inside the gearbox..two calipers...A lot of problems beying normal maintenance. Luckily I managed to sell it for more than I bought it for, and also got some money back from the person who sold it to me.. But still it became an expensive car.
Generally BMW parts cost more than Toyota parts. But I had a ton of really expensive issues with the MR2. And I know a place that sells a lot of dirt cheap none OEM BMW parts (Mostly for a bit "older" BMWs. Probably not that cheap for you US people, but extremely cheap compared to OEM Toyota parts from a Toyota dealer here).
RaceR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RaceR For This Useful Post:
einzlr (12-02-2012)
Old 12-02-2012, 02:18 AM   #58
RaceR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
BMW peaked with this.

They should have just packed it in and gone to lunch for a few years.
Love E39 M5.. Its probably the most desirable M5 for me.. But this one is also great!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzOPR7STqrQ"]1986 BMW M5 E28: The original super 4-door - CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS - YouTube[/ame]
Old 12-02-2012, 03:01 AM   #59
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceR View Post
My MR2 needed a new engine block, catalytic converters (all2/3 of them!), several O2 sensors, some fuel injectors, some bearing inside the gearbox..two calipers...A lot of problems beying normal maintenance. Luckily I managed to sell it for more than I bought it for, and also got some money back from the person who sold it to me.. But still it became an expensive car.
Generally BMW parts cost more than Toyota parts. But I had a ton of really expensive issues with the MR2. And I know a place that sells a lot of dirt cheap none OEM BMW parts (Mostly for a bit "older" BMWs. Probably not that cheap for you US people, but extremely cheap compared to OEM Toyota parts from a Toyota dealer here).
Yikes, that sounds bad. I haven't had problems yet, but the previous owner used Toyota dealer service for 139000 miles so I am watching the oil levels very carefully. I got it with the sump 1/4 full! I changed the oil and it's not burning any, so far so good. There is a ton of sludge in the engine though, I see a big chunk sitting there just pulling the oil cap off. Postcat O2 sensor also happened to just die completely last month, and the other 2 are probably out of calibration since the exhaust smells horrid. Scumbag dealerships.

The GT86 certification fuel efficiency is I think a regulatory failure, they don't test manual transmission cars fairly most of the time. But you are absolutely right, in America we think 30mpg is completely amazing fuel economy because we all drive tanks, whereas in Europe you can buy cars that return 40-50mpg without even trying, and most people do. Doesn't help that we get crappier gearboxes and engines over here. With the Spyder I'm sure you know the 5 speed sucks balls and revs the engine to the moon on the highway, it's hard to get much more than 30 mpg cruising at the speed of traffic, yet in America we think that is amazing fuel economy.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:27 AM   #60
RaceR

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
With the Spyder I'm sure you know the 5 speed sucks balls and revs the engine to the moon on the highway, it's hard to get much more than 30 mpg cruising at the speed of traffic, yet in America we think that is amazing fuel economy.
Yeah.. I was not that impressed with the fuel efficiency.. It was OK for a car of that age, weight and size.
Highways in my area are 50mpg. Most normal roads are 30-38mpg.. So not an issue with the gearing.
I would preferred to have some of the gears tighter. Especially 2nd and 3rd gear. The high poweband was quite narrow. Sometimes 1. gear would not go far enough, and 2nd gear would lack some juice because I was down at 3500-4000rpm at times.

BMWs fuel efficiency vs power makes them quite attractive. Not that BMW are better than their other german rivals on the typical engines here. But BMW sure knows how to make good engines. Its not just about looking at HP vs milage..
Here is a great chart to study which engines have recieved the "engine of the year awards". BMW have won a lot of titles!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...ne_of_the_Year
Old 12-02-2012, 03:56 AM   #61
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
Yeah.. I was not that impressed with the fuel efficiency.. It was OK for a car of that age, weight and size.
Highways in my area are 50mpg. Most normal roads are 30-38mpg.. So not an issue with the gearing.
I would preferred to have some of the gears tighter. Especially 2nd and 3rd gear. The high poweband was quite narrow. Sometimes 1. gear would not go far enough, and 2nd gear would lack some juice because I was down at 3500-4000rpm at times.

BMWs fuel efficiency vs power makes them quite attractive. Not that BMW are better than their other german rivals on the typical engines here. But BMW sure knows how to make good engines. Its not just about looking at HP vs milage..
Here is a great chart to study which engines have recieved the "engine of the year awards". BMW have won a lot of titles!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...ne_of_the_Year
50mpg? :O Are you still talking about the Spyder? I can get 55mpg if I'm driving 25mph lol, but at 50mph that goes down to 40.

Yea I think the 5 speed gearbox is the car's biggest fault. The gears are not tight enough, 2nd feels really weak because you have a ~3.2 => ~1.9 = 40% rpm drop, 2nd to third is a 30% drop. The 6 speed is much better even with the 4.5 final drive, closer ratios and 9% lower rpm in 6th gear. 3000rpm vs. 3300 is a big deal in a noisy car like this.

BMW definitely makes great engines, but they come at BMW prices :/
Old 12-02-2012, 04:12 AM   #62
RaceR

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
50mpg? :O Are you still talking about the Spyder? I can get 55mpg if I'm driving 25mph lol, but at 50mph that goes down to 40.
WHOOPS... A little mix up there.. :p
I meant to say MPH.

Due to tax regulations here the price difference is not as high as in the US.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:15 AM   #63
serialk11r

Garage
Quote:
WHOOPS... A little mix up there.. :p
I meant to say MPH.

Due to tax regulations here the price difference is not as high as in the US.
Ah I see. With a convertible I wish the speed limits are lower because the wind noise is just so bad above 50mph. But yea with 50-80kph limits the stock gearing is good.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:16 AM   #64
RaceR

I know it does not have a BMW badge, but Ill post it here anyway!

Greetings from Norway!

First proper snowfall in my area... Picture taken early today before it got bright... I miss RWD :p
einzlr (12-03-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 12:03 AM   #65
streetwaves

Drives: e30
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Love E39 M5.. Its probably the most desirable M5 for me.. But this one is also great!
Ah, now that's the most desirable M5 for me.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:59 AM   #66
einzlr

Drives: several
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I know it does not have a BMW badge, but Ill post it here anyway!

Greetings from Norway!
First proper snowfall in my area... Picture taken early today before it got bright... I miss RWD :p
Gorgeous photo!

The Mini is close enough and IMHO is a great car for the winter - takes the cold/snow/ice without flinching and is plenty safe but also fun to slip-and-slide around when you want to. Or do you have a different opinion?

"Simplicate and add lightness." - Gordon Hooton
einzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to einzlr For This Useful Post:
RaceR (12-03-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 02:50 AM   #67
RaceR

Quote:
Gorgeous photo!

The Mini is close enough and IMHO is a great car for the winter - takes the cold/snow/ice without flinching and is plenty safe but also fun to slip-and-slide around when you want to. Or do you have a different opinion?
Well Minis are allowed on track-days with BMWs and everything here so should not be that much "off-topic" in i BMW thread. :p
They are becoming more and more similar to BMWs in the future. Same platform, same engines so they will probably be considered even more of a BMW then.
Some people does not like BMWs that well, but everybody seem to like the Mini. It does not have any upper-clas thing or anything negative towards it as far as I have experienced. Its just a cool/goofy looking car, so non car-people seem to like it. And car people know it handles good for a FWD so they seem to accept/like it as well.
There was actually a guy I talked with yesterday who though it was British. I think several people does.. :p

Winter experience. I have to pull the door a little harder for it to close properly, otherwise fine.
The only thing I don't like is that the car is imported from Germany so it was not fitted with typical Nordic winter tires, and they also managed to put on winter tires that is almost 4,8% smaller than they should have been. So they do look a little small. And make the car lower, which is not the best thing on a car with a front end that is already low. But snow plows are usually active during snowfalls, so should not be a concern. Winters are mostly wet on the lower west coast anyway.. I wont bother buying new tires since the tires on the car are band new.

The car is good for a FWD, but its still, FWD..
Im trying to learn how to left foot brake to make it loose the back end, but so far im not able to that well on snow. Gonna practice more, have never experimented with it before since ive mostly driven RWD cars. Tried it on a new VW Golf two winters ago but electronics would always interfer. Would be nice to be able to balance the car without lifting completely off the accelerator.
Car still feels quite nimble and light. Handbrake works well. :p lol
einzlr (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 12:30 AM   #68
einzlr

Haha I suppose the reason some people think they're British is that they remember the original and haven't paid attention to who does the "remake". I see the occasional original mini on the roads around here. That was one tiny car!

Old 12-04-2012, 12:44 AM   #69
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
I see the occasional original mini on the roads around here. That was one tiny car!
Some guys put Honda VTEC engines in them, to great success.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:55 AM   #70
einzlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestwheelbase View Post
Some guys put Honda VTEC engines in them, to great success.
haha wow