follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 06-17-2022, 09:32 PM   #1
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2nd Gen BRZ Gets Coated with Gyeon Pure Evo

This car actually came home to my garage in late January, but weather and life meant it saw nothing but frequent washes and an application of Griots 3 in 1 sealant for protection until time allowed for a proper detail job. Finally, Memorial Day weekend provided the opportunity I needed.

For this job I ran a standard detailing process.
1. Washed with Meguiars Hyperwash
2. Synthetic clay with the Blackfire clay mitt
3. Polish
4. Panel wipe with CarPro Eraser
5. Coated with Gyeon Pure Evo

Polishing the car was uneventful. The dealership respected my wishes to not prep the car, so the only damage needing correction was the few swirls installed by the attendants caring for cars at the annual auto show before I took delivery. For the machine polishing I started out with SONAX 04/06 but quickly found it didn't have enough cut to pull off a one-step job like I wanted. It created good gloss, but even with a medium polishing pad I wasn't getting as much correction.ped. Griots BOSS Finishing Cream was my next choice and it worked great. Despite the car still being pretty new, polishing the paint made it noticeably shinier.

Gyeon Pure Evo went on with little drama and a pretty long flash time. In fact, on a car this small, it was almost too long. At one point I found myself with most of the passenger side covered and I was waiting around for the coating to flash. Once flashed removal was pretty easy; a touch more difficult and grabby than CarPro CQuartz UK 3.0, but not difficult by any measure.

When I was first finished I liked the results, but was a little disappointed. It didn't look that much different than when I was done polishing. A couple hours later I checked on it and noticed a bit more gloss. Couple hours later...a bit more. When I checked in on it the next morning; WOW! The dipped in glass look I was after was in full effect. I know some people feel nothing really changes as a coating cures, but I don't agree. I think both CQUK and now Pure Evo both improve as it cures. If you don't agree, I'm willing to duel at dawn with pool noodles to defend my honor.

Enough talking, you all came here for the pictures. Enjoy!

Desertnate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Desertnate For This Useful Post:
Pedro13 (08-17-2022), RToyo86 (08-16-2022), Sam86 (06-17-2022), spcmafia (06-21-2022), T-Steve (06-19-2022), Teseo (08-16-2022), wolffbite (07-12-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 11:19 PM   #2
VoltsFRS2013

Drives: 2022' GR86 Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Car looks great! Glossy factor should improve over the next 20-30 days. That's at least how it works with OptiCoat & GTECHNIQ
VoltsFRS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VoltsFRS2013 For This Useful Post:
Desertnate (06-21-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 09:50 AM   #3
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltsFRS2013 View Post
Car looks great! Glossy factor should improve over the next 20-30 days. That's at least how it works with OptiCoat & GTECHNIQ
Thanks! The pictures really don't do it justice.

From my experience with CanCoat and CQUK (2.0 and 3.0) the biggest change was noted in the first 24~72 hours...at least to my eyes. At this point, I'm about three weeks since those pictures are taken and as of washing it last Friday, I don't know if I've seen much change. Not a bad thing as I'm still really happy with the results.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Desertnate For This Useful Post:
RToyo86 (08-16-2022), VoltsFRS2013 (06-21-2022)
Old 08-16-2022, 01:21 PM   #4
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,132 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Looks great. Pictures never quite do justice on how a car practically glows in any lighting.

Please update how Gyeon Pure Evo performs for you over time. I haven't done much digging into that particular coating. We're you planning to use a maintenance product?
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 01:55 PM   #5
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Since there is interest, I sure will report back from time to time on how the coating is holding up.

So far, it's doing great. The coating is really hydrophobic and it makes keeping the car clean really easy. Just sitting in the parking lot at work when one our recent monsoon rains pass through is enough to keep the car looking good! I'd used CanCoat on my GTI many years ago, so I had high hopes for Pure Evo and it's delivered so far.

I don't really use maintenance products on my coatings. They typically last plenty long enough to not justify the money or hassle. However, I do dabble with topping products once in a while out of curiosity. When I used CanCoat I toped it occasionally with Cure and liked the results. This time around I picked up some Gyeon Ceramic Detailer, but I've not been very impressed with the results.

Going forward, if I need to remove some post-wash water spots, or other random smudges, I'll just reach for my bottle of CarPro ECH2O. It's much more versatile.
Old 08-18-2022, 03:49 PM   #6
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Is this a new type of ceramic coating? Haven't been keeping up on these since there's like 100 different products on the market and its hard to tell which is the good stuff.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 09:45 AM   #7
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

This is not a new type of coating. It's a traditional high-solids ceramic coating that comes in a little glass bottle. Nothing like some of the countless ceramic-infused spray sealants or other products being marketed as a "coating".

Gyeon has been in the market for quite a while and I think Pure Evo can be considered their third generation of coating as a company and their second generation of the Pure product. I used their "lite" coating called CanCoat back around 2014 and really liked it. I normally use CarPro's CQuartz UK on all of our vehicles, but when Gyeon brought out this second generation of Pure, I decided to give it a try.
Old 08-20-2022, 12:38 PM   #8
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
It looks good. Is it a ~2 year coating? Any feedback on how easy it is to work with? Only coating i've used is Cquartz UK 3.0. Which is easy peasy to work with, unless it gets over 90 degrees ambient... and it gets harder to remove and you're kind of smearing it around. Under that it just comes right off though. For high spots (that i inevitably find 6 months later) a microfiber and m205 and 2 seconds of hand polishing and it goes away.

I don't use maintenance products either, defeats the purpose of the coating.. pretty sure it's just a money grab.
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 09:26 AM   #9
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Pure EVO is easy to work with, and very similar to CQuartz UK 3.0.

The flash time is very similar, if not a touch shorter than CQUK, but you aren't racing to buff anything out. I was able to do several entire panels at a time and then go back to where I started for buffing.

Pure EVO does go on thicker, so buff out is a bit more draggy than CQUK, but again it's minor differences I only notice because I've done so many coating applications.

Based on my experiences, I'd never try to apply any coating in weather over 80F. Like you describe, it because smeary and flashes really fast. For this reason alone, I'll only do coatings on my cars in the Spring and Fall. I've also done a couple coatings in weather around 50F and that wasn't much fun either. For CQUK the flash time was around 20 minutes and it took me forever to get the work done.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Desertnate For This Useful Post:
Decep (08-23-2022), RToyo86 (05-20-2023)