follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #57
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by benster View Post

yes, so do I always dyno my cars while at freeway speeds..... the reason they dyno with the hood open is to simulate the wind going in the engine bay while the car is moving. if some of you didn't get that maybe you should put a wind speed sensor under your hood and go for a drive. there is wind movement at speed and most of the underhood air isn't scorching hot everywhere.
They have high speed dyno fans for wind simulation.

I've done temperature testing at the intake level on several intakes. The AIRAID is marketed as a CAI and was much hotter than the AFE which extends further towards the bumper hole.

This was done in 3rd on the freeway. Now imagine an SRI that sits even further back toward the motor.

*DISCLAIMER* this is just for comparison purposes, I am not trying to say the AFE is the best intake EVAR!
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #58
sevi21
Trackman

Drives: Raven Frs
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Well gives people some sort of idea. Thanks for the thread @naikaidriver
Old 02-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #59
zooki

Drives: waiting on a 2021...
I've never understood people who say "We'll, it may not make any more power, but I feel the difference in throttle response". If the car revs quicker, it has to make more power. Period. The relationship of horsepower to torque demands this. If your car doesn't make any more power on the dyno, yet you claim it has better throttle response, you are deluding ourself.
zooki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zooki For This Useful Post:
Splat (02-16-2013)
Old 02-17-2013, 05:50 AM   #60
Calidrifter
@Executive_chicken

Drives: Firestorm FR-S, Audi A3 E-tron
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
The price listed for the HKS is incorrect. There are 2 HKS intakes:

- Premium Suction (Pipe replacement and filter) uses stock filter box.
- Racing Suction Reloaded (Full intake replacement)

Premium is ~330
Racing is ~ 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
That guy, like me after BBQ Thursdays, is full of shit.
Calidrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #61
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooki View Post
I've never understood people who say "We'll, it may not make any more power, but I feel the difference in throttle response". If the car revs quicker, it has to make more power. Period. The relationship of horsepower to torque demands this. If your car doesn't make any more power on the dyno, yet you claim it has better throttle response, you are deluding ourself.
A lightweight crank pulley can improve throttle response yet have no impact on horsepower produced. Alternatively, you could strip 500 lbs off your car and realize better throttle response, yet you've done nothing to increase power output.

Last edited by Foobar; 02-17-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #62
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I appreciate the effort, it's a great idea, but you really need to put some more effort into providing sources of 3rd party numbers for it to be truly excellent.

Right now it's an okay starting point. The numbers aren't worthless but you really only narrowed it down into the two groups worth looking into, those with low prices and make a few HP at a competitive cost per HP and the more expensive setups that do similar but at a higher cost. The other intakes being outliers or aberrant being the intakes to avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #63
jwjknorr

Drives: FRS 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Your very off on cost, and would need to refrence a real dyno and not a manufactures guess. Aem intake 340 shipped to my door. But A for effort
jwjknorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #64
jwjknorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
A lightweight crank pulley can improve throttle response yet have no impact on horsepower produced. Alternatively, you could strip 500 lbs off your car and realize better throttle response, yet you've done nothing to increase power output.

You my friend took the words right out of my mouth. Not sure where the other guy got his info from.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:42 AM   #65
blackraven1425

Drives: raven at
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjknorr View Post
You my friend took the words right out of my mouth. Not sure where the other guy got his info from.
Under the assumption that the engine revs from the bottom to the top of a given range (i.e. 3k to 7.8k) in the same exact amount of time, the only other possible difference is in actual power output. If the power output is the same, and that assumption is in place, there would be deluded people who think the engine responds quicker.
blackraven1425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:30 AM   #66
zooki

Drives: waiting on a 2021...
Yes, you're right. I guess I should have clarified my earlier statement. I was assuming that we were talking about intake systems. In the case of lightweight pulleys, or anything else that affects weight, you CAN have a quicker acceleration rate without any additional horsepower. Since force(horsepower) equals mass times acceleration, if you reduce the mass(either the reciprocating weight of the motor, or the total weight of the car) you can have a larger acceleration number, but with a smaller mass the force can come up to be the same. Very simplified, and using random numbers:
F=M x A
15=5 x 3 if the weight is 5 and the acceleration rate is 3
Now drop the weight to 3, and you can have a quicker acceleration rate 5 with the same amount of force, 15.
zooki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #67
cfusionpm

Drives: Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooki View Post
Yes, you're right. I guess I should have clarified my earlier statement. I was assuming that we were talking about intake systems. In the case of lightweight pulleys, or anything else that affects weight, you CAN have a quicker acceleration rate without any additional horsepower. Since force(horsepower) equals mass times acceleration, if you reduce the mass(either the reciprocating weight of the motor, or the total weight of the car) you can have a larger acceleration number, but with a smaller mass the force can come up to be the same. Very simplified, and using random numbers:
F=M x A
15=5 x 3 if the weight is 5 and the acceleration rate is 3
Now drop the weight to 3, and you can have a quicker acceleration rate 5 with the same amount of force, 15.
Technically the engine would still be making the same power, it would just be translating it more efficiently to the ground. If you can reduce loss of energy through mechanical transfer, you can get to your power quicker; rev quicker, get to your next gear quicker, etc.

Disclaimer: no real world experience with changing flywheels or pulleys, but its one of the first things I upgrade in teh vidjya games like Forza and Gran Turismo.

2013 Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
cfusionpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #68
jwjknorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven1425 View Post
Under the assumption that the engine revs from the bottom to the top of a given range (i.e. 3k to 7.8k) in the same exact amount of time, the only other possible difference is in actual power output. If the power output is the same, and that assumption is in place, there would be deluded people who think the engine responds quicker.

Read the post bellow yours above this. :happy0180:
Old 03-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #69
Trashed675

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
@naikaidriver

K&N just released a Typhoon system
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...prod=69-8619TS

looks like 6.67hp for $325 = $48.72/hp
Trashed675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:07 AM   #70
StarsGarrador
Gangnam Style Guru

Drives: Suzuki GSXF650, WRB BRZ
I have an airaid... and I got it for $220.. during the group buy and WTF rebate.