follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 05-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #15
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'd buy a bike a heartbeat, but I don't trust the other people on the road. I still want a MadAss 125.

Also, don't listen to the "oh that bike is too small for you" people. If you decide that you can ride a 250 beyond the limits of the bike, then by all means go and get another one. But I think the car phrase, "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" sticks to bikes as well.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to n2oinferno For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-24-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #16
Grateful Dave
2nd 86 member

Drives: 2013 Asphalt AT FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I work in a trauma hospital as an xray tech and I'm always seeing downed motorcyclists coming through the ER. The money you save on the bike, you will pay for hospital bills or your life. It is not worth it!
Grateful Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #17
powertrip

Drives: Mercedes C320, S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful Dave View Post
I work in a trauma hospital as an xray tech and I'm always seeing downed motorcyclists coming through the ER. The money you save on the bike, you will pay for hospital bills or your life. It is not worth it!
That reminds me of a saying I heard once from someone in a hospital. That whenever a motorcycle wreck comes in the ER and werent wearing a helmet they died. Practically no exceptions, no helmet & crash = fatality. Wear a helmet, better odds. Be safe.
powertrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #18
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86fanatic View Post
I saw a few members in the BRZ / FR-S sub forums have given up waiting for the car and ended up buying a motorcycle instead.

That got me thinking and being bored a few weekends ago I tried out a local MSF course (100$ all weekend bikes provided motorcycle safety course which gets you a motorcycle license if you pass in most states). It ended up being a ton of fun and now I'm seriously considering buying a bike instead of the FR-S. It was a completely new experience for me and was really fun learning a new skill and exploring a different type of machine. After being on a bike for 5 hours a day both Saturday and Sunday, it made going back to driving a car just seem so.... boring.

Anyone else in the same boat? I could buy a brand new starter motorcycle (Ninja 250r/CBR250R) for a few months to learn, then upgrade to a seriously interesting bike down the road for much less then the entry price of a FR-S.

If anything I'd recommend at least trying out a local MSF course for a weekend - I had a great experience.

Congrats on completing the MSF course. Welcome to the world of 2 wheels! :happy0180:

I've been following the FT86 for well over 5 yrs now but been riding before I finished elementary. I thought cars were always fun no matter what form it came in. Motorcycles on the other hand are a whole different animal!

Just wait until you get more experience on the saddle, start doing track days and/or racing! I love riding motorcycles and there isn't anything (maybe driving an exotic or F1) that can fill it's shoes.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #19
Dark_Angle

Drives: 91 Turbo Mr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrip View Post
That reminds me of a saying I heard once from someone in a hospital. That whenever a motorcycle wreck comes in the ER and werent wearing a helmet they died. Practically no exceptions, no helmet & crash = fatality. Wear a helmet, better odds. Be safe.
What kind of idiot would ride without a helmet. That sends chills up my spine just thinking about it.

uhhhh
Dark_Angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #20
Chupacabra
'it's the yeti of Texas'

Drives: 2013 Whiteout 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
In California, they're called 'Donor-cycles' so I understand your point because that is what all of my relatives call them. Cali has way more cars on the road, button-style lane markers, and awful traffic that convinces riders to lane-split even in less-than-ideal circumstances.

But it is possible to still enjoy riding a motorcycle with intelligence, know your intentions, and not explore the limits on public roads and to wear the proper gear. Most squids try too hard to reach these limits on open roads or lack of gear which leads to serious injury. Realistically, every time you hop on a motorcycle you need to be willing to accept death as an option regardless of preparation you've done to make yourself a mature and intelligent rider.

I have a moral responsibility as a rider and purveyor of motorcycles to inform my fellow riders what they're in for. In the end, it is worth it. But start small and build up. Displacement differences are individualistic, so if you go to a sportbike (CBR600RR, GSX-R600, ZX6-R, R6) the lack of forgiveness can burn you. That is why everyone says start at a 250. Find what is right for you, and keep it dialed back if you get a larger machine.

Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chupacabra For This Useful Post:
86fanatic (05-24-2012), Dadhawk (05-24-2012), RRnold (05-24-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #21
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Both the Ninja 250R ('08 and above) and the CBR250 are both excellent entry level bikes. I would also suggest a used SV650 or Kawasaki 650, heck even a dual sport like a Suzuki DRZ400 or a Yamaha WR450F.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #22
Grateful Dave
2nd 86 member

Drives: 2013 Asphalt AT FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupacabra View Post
In California, they're called 'Donor-cycles' so I understand your point because that is what all of my relatives call them. Cali has way more cars on the road, button-style lane markers, and awful traffic that convinces riders to lane-split even in less-than-ideal circumstances.

But it is possible to still enjoy riding a motorcycle with intelligence, know your intentions, and not explore the limits on public roads and to wear the proper gear. Most squids try too hard to reach these limits on open roads or lack of gear which leads to serious injury. Realistically, every time you hop on a motorcycle you need to be willing to accept death as an option regardless of preparation you've done to make yourself a mature and intelligent rider.

I have a moral responsibility as a rider and purveyor of motorcycles to inform my fellow riders what they're in for. In the end, it is worth it. But start small and build up. Displacement differences are individualistic, so if you go to a sportbike (CBR600RR, GSX-R600, ZX6-R, R6) the lack of forgiveness can burn you. That is why everyone says start at a 250. Find what is right for you, and keep it dialed back if you get a larger machine.
So many cars that just don't see the motorcyclist. The bike has no real protection. Leathers and helmet big deal. I saw an Iraqi vet fully dressed with leathers & helmet come through with a broken femur, the other car didn't see him. He was in the reserves after his tours, but not now. He made it through the war unharmed but not through the streets with a motorcycle!
Grateful Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #23
Chupacabra
'it's the yeti of Texas'

Drives: 2013 Whiteout 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
So many cars that just don't see the motorcyclist. The bike has no real protection. Leathers and helmet big deal. I saw an Iraqi vet fully dressed with leathers & helmet come through with a broken femur, the other car didn't see him. He was in the reserves after his tours, but not now. He made it through the war unharmed but not through the streets with a motorcycle!
I don't know if you're making a valid point Dave. I was stating that people always risk life when they get on a motorcycle. I don't believe it's necessary to further illustrate your view since we've already agreed upon the risks involved.

I'm only stating this because invoking fear is something that doesn't benefit anyone. I am not trying to offend you either, please understand that.

Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chupacabra For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-24-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #24
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post

Congrats on completing the MSF course. Welcome to the world of 2 wheels! :happy0180:
Taking the MSF course is definitely the right first step. It reduces your chance of becoming a casuality by something like 50%. As long as you ride safe and aware, it is a joy.

Start acting like an idiot and you'll end up like one. That's true on a motorcycle, in a car, or just getting out of bed in the morning.

No, its not as safe as driving a car particularly if you ride like you drive. It requires a much higher level of concentration and awareness of your own state. Don't ride tired, distracted, or like you stole it.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Chupacabra (05-24-2012), RRnold (05-24-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #25
86fanatic

Drives: auto
Thanks for the advice guys. Since taking the course I can't get riding out of my head, so I think I will be making a move on one of the 250s floating around the local craigslist. I talked to a dealer and it really doesn't seem worth it to buy new, especially since they seem to tack on 500$ non-negotiable dealer fees (crate shipping + set up). I was considering the FRS purely as a recreational vehicle so practicality was not so much a concern for me.

I completely understand riding is more dangerous then driving. I will be riding with that awareness in mind, but the fact is whether you are in a car or motorcycle you are one drunk, distracted or irrational road raging driver away from getting seriously injured. I understand that risk when driving and I understand it is magnified while riding. I will ride with that in mind and always wear full armor/protection.

It really doesn't help that the riding community is chalk full of over the top macho-ism. Even when taking the course there were people laughing at me for starting on a 250. There was one guy I met after though who actually considered the jump from his 600RR to a 250R an upgrade. One throttle mistake in a corner on the 600 and it's game over. You have to have perfect throttle control in the rain, and it's much more likely to lock tires and enter corners too fast. He says the 250R is not only a perfect starter bike but a perfect bike for public roads much along the same lines as the FRS is, and it even does track days exceptionally well. Then you have guys in the class already riding liter bikes while not even licensed and don't even know about counter steering. Seems pretty insane to me.

I understand some people might naturally have the skills for those larger bikes but it seems just silly and dangerous to try to convince brand new riders to jump into anything over a 250R to learn on (in my opinion especially after taking the MSF course).

Anyways thanks for the advice guys. Am super excited to start riding, just added my motorcycle endorsement to my license this morning at the DMV.
86fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 86fanatic For This Useful Post:
Chupacabra (05-24-2012), D4ng3r (06-22-2012), Dadhawk (05-24-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #26
00NissanNinja
The Thread Lurker

Drives: '14 BRZ, '17 GTI, MT09
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
The ninja 250 is a great bike. I've had mine for 2 years. I've ridden on the track, on the highway, in the canyons and it doesn't disappoint. Certainly more power would be nice but it'll do everything you need it to. If you get an 08+ get some pirelli Diablo rossos on it they are amazing on this bike. Forget the haters of the 250 I've smoked squids in the corners on the 250. The 250 is kinda like what the 86 is. I had a lot of fun riding 600s and 1000s I'll probably get a zx6r in the future and probably make my 250 a dedicated track bike. That'll be awhile though.

Certainly do be careful on the roads and wear all the gear. I've had many people just ignore my existence on the road.assume everyone is going to do wrong by you, assume you can't be seen, and even assume the road is unsafe.
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 00NissanNinja For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-24-2012), GenkiElite (06-22-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #27
86'd

Drives: 2012 WRX Sedan
I think I'm at the point where I'd want to go through the MSF and learn to ride, just to say I've done it; it's something I've always wanted to do.

I was also looking at an older 90's Ninja 250, or naked sv650 and I would only ride on the weekends, for fun.

There are a lot of great forums out there for riding, like BARF where I learned a lot about riding, gear, accident avoidance and the fun but also the dangers of motorcycling.

Learning about motorcycling has also made me a better driver and made me watch for motorcycles more than I already did.

All I need to do is take the darn course.

On topic:

I really want a fun daily driver and so I'm getting the FRS. I could never see myself DD a motorcycle, so...
86'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #28
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Bikes. Are. So. Tempting.

I've wanted one since before I got my driver's license. I just can't do it, though. I know that the second I get on a fast bike there will be no going back to sports cars. If I go to a fast bike I'll be in trouble. I am just not going to allow myself access to that much speed. Maybe someday I'll pick up something like this Moto Guzzi V7 Classic but that's about it:

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote