follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 10-07-2012, 11:53 PM   #43
RedLeader

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
well im pretty sure the viper is still a dodge which you are saying cant build sports cars. also acr has been known to spit out some fancy guys. lets not forget that even the neon had a huge impact on the autocross scene in the 90s
Your inference in your original statement is that Toyota doesn't know how to build a sports car. Which is amusing, since Toyota has built the Supra, the Celica (not the new one, that one sucked) and the MR2.

Also your point (that Dodge knows how to make sports cars) is moot because this new "Dodge" is not a Dodge, its a Fiat (so I'm not sure what the "whoo 'Merica" crowd is excited over, its an Italian compact car).
RedLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:50 AM   #44
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Your inference in your original statement is that Toyota doesn't know how to build a sports car. Which is amusing, since Toyota has built the Supra, the Celica (not the new one, that one sucked) and the MR2.

Also your point (that Dodge knows how to make sports cars) is moot because this new "Dodge" is not a Dodge, its a Fiat (so I'm not sure what the "whoo 'Merica" crowd is excited over, its an Italian compact car).
i inferred that you didnt like dodge. thats your inference from my original statement that we are having a problem with. i am a firm believer that toyota is one of the most capable companies when it comes to sports cars (you could probably call me a fanboy hell, i even like the newest celica). my point was that dodge knows how to make sports cars. anything past that is your inference which is not what im trying to say.

saying its not a dodge is like saying the mr2 is not a toyota. dodge isnt just some middle man. between here and there, they get their hands dirty.

i think this is just a little bit of misunderstanding so ill try to break down what im saying. i like toyota. dont knock dodge though, they can make a good sports car. thats as far as that thought process went on in my mind.:happy0180:
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoni For This Useful Post:
Accurate Race Shop (10-08-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 01:06 AM   #45
Accurate Race Shop

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
i inferred that you didnt like dodge. thats your inference from my original statement that we are having a problem with. i am a firm believer that toyota is one of the most capable companies when it comes to sports cars (you could probably call me a fanboy hell, i even like the newest celica). my point was that dodge knows how to make sports cars. anything past that is your inference which is not what im trying to say.

saying its not a dodge is like saying the mr2 is not a toyota. dodge isnt just some middle man. between here and there, they get their hands dirty.

i think this is just a little bit of misunderstanding so ill try to break down what im saying. i like toyota. dont knock dodge though, they can make a good sports car. thats as far as that thought process went on in my mind.:happy0180:
I agree Toyota is a good company and has made some good sports cars. Dodge has a history of making some of the legends and the Dart is made in Detroit where it all began. I have owned more then one Dodge and loved all of them. my FR-S is my first Toyota made car and it hasn't disappointed me at all either. I'm just a fan of cars and I can find some good in all of them.
Accurate Race Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #46
RedLeader

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
[QUOTE=fatoni;482811{

[/QUOTE]

Except the MR2 was produced by a division of Toyota. Fiat is not a division of Dodge, it's the other way around. So the MR2 was more a Toyota than this new Dart is a Dodge. In this instance, we'll know in a few years how much Dodge had to do with it; if they start falling apart and having horrid reliability, then it's definitely just a rebadged Fiat.

But it really doesn't matter, the Dart in not a sports car, it's a compact sedan, replacing the caliber, not competing with the GC or FRS/BRZ

Sent from...somewhere?
RedLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #47
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Except the MR2 was produced by a division of Toyota. Fiat is not a division of Dodge, it's the other way around. So the MR2 was more a Toyota than this new Dart is a Dodge. In this instance, we'll know in a few years how much Dodge had to do with it; if they start falling apart and having horrid reliability, then it's definitely just a rebadged Fiat.

But it really doesn't matter, the Dart in not a sports car, it's a compact sedan, replacing the caliber, not competing with the GC or FRS/BRZ

Sent from...somewhere?
my point was that the mr2 was designed by a lotus engineer. its still a toyota. you cant say the dodge dart is not a dodge dart. for what its worth, i wasnt speaking about the overall quality of this new car but rather its finer aspects like suspension tuning
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #48
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I can't believe this is a real thread.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #49
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
To the OP I say get a set of winter tires if you plan on driving up through Flagstaff and anyplace north of that if they're going to get snow. The FR-S is perfectly capable of tearing up wintery weather with the right rubber attached. It's light, balanced and has a limited slip differential. I've driven strictly RWD sports cars on snow tires for the past 5-6 years and loved it!

Please don't say the Chrysler/Plymouth Prowler was a good car! I love the Viper and the old muscle cars, but even when the Prowler was new I thought it was stupid. It's even worse to see how outdated it looks now!

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:07 AM   #50
Accurate Race Shop

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
To the OP I say get a set of winter tires if you plan on driving up through Flagstaff and anyplace north of that if they're going to get snow. The FR-S is perfectly capable of tearing up wintery weather with the right rubber attached. It's light, balanced and has a limited slip differential. I've driven strictly RWD sports cars on snow tires for the past 5-6 years and loved it!

Please don't say the Chrysler/Plymouth Prowler was a good car! I love the Viper and the old muscle cars, but even when the Prowler was new I thought it was stupid. It's even worse to see how outdated it looks now!
I really like the idea of the prowler bringing back a highly desired look and feel that wasn't made for over 65 years until they offered it again. It was definitely for a small market but I think it was a cool Idea with everyone striving for something new they went with something extremely old and made it new. It might have been a flop but I would like to see more car companies take a risk like this. I would love to see a remake of a 69 GTO Judge!
Attached Images

Accurate Race Shop is offline   Reply With Quote