follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #141
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Just stahp. The rate at which you excavate your hole is alarmingly fast.
Hey whatever guys, keep doing what you...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:53 PM   #142
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
Yeah I was never talking about just letting off the gas pedal, lol. Obviously if you do that car explodes.

Downshifting is still a part of engine braking. I can be almost to a stop before even touching the brake pedal. It does not mean that I take my revs to redline with each downshift though. Just let them drop normally and shift to match them. Probably never go much over 3500. I am not turning my nice car into a soap box racer freewheeling in neutral or clutched in every time I am slowing.
soundman98 (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 02:56 PM   #143
p1l0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Downshifting is still a part of engine braking. I can be almost to a stop before even touching the brake pedal. It does not mean that I take my revs to redline with each downshift though. Just let them drop normally and shift to match them. Probably never go much over 3500. I am not turning my nice car into a soap box racer freewheeling in neutral or clutched in every time I am slowing.
It's fine if you do it right. Still an unnecessary risk IMHO. I'll just burn up my $20 pads 95% of the time.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:12 PM   #144
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
It's fine if you do it right. Still an unnecessary risk IMHO. I'll just burn up my $20 pads 95% of the time.

So you never downshift? You are always in to low or high a gear? There is no "risk", unnecessary or otherwise in downshifting to engine brake. When the car is moving it should always be in gear. This isn't a matter of saving money on engine wear vs brake pads it is just simple driving common sense. If that afraid of missing a downshift you should get an AT (there I said it) which manage to downshift all the time without issues.
ermax (05-14-2019), soundman98 (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 05:15 PM   #145
p1l0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
So you never downshift? You are always in to low or high a gear? There is no "risk", unnecessary or otherwise in downshifting to engine brake. When the car is moving it should always be in gear. This isn't a matter of saving money on engine wear vs brake pads it is just simple driving common sense. If that afraid of missing a downshift you should get an AT (there I said it) which manage to downshift all the time without issues.
No, I downshift when appropriate, but not if I know I'm stopping, and not to slow myself down unless I'm worried about skidding but with ABS I'm almost never worried about skidding. Sure I'll rev match to exit a turn or something but I'm not going downshift through 5 gears when I could just hit the brakes.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:35 PM   #146
YangerD

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I always found it weird that when I have my iPhone charging through the USB and have it laying on the passenger seat it trips the seat belt warning; same goes with leaving my work laptop on the seat.
YangerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:42 PM   #147
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
No, I downshift when appropriate, but not if I know I'm stopping, and not to slow myself down unless I'm worried about skidding but with ABS I'm almost never worried about skidding. Sure I'll rev match to exit a turn or something but I'm not going downshift through 5 gears when I could just hit the brakes.

Learn to rev match heel and toe downshift...
Sure you'll screw up a few times but within a week it'll be fine.
There really is no risk in downshifting, especially if you're rev matching. If you think otherwise, then you really have no business driving a manual car. The last thing your transmission/clutch and other drivers need is you not being able to handle a clutch/brake/shifter in a panic situation.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:09 PM   #148
p1l0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
Learn to rev match heel and toe downshift...
Sure you'll screw up a few times but within a week it'll be fine.
There really is no risk in downshifting, especially if you're rev matching. If you think otherwise, then you really have no business driving a manual car. The last thing your transmission/clutch and other drivers need is you not being able to handle a clutch/brake/shifter in a panic situation.
I can do it, I just only rev match for a gear I'm actually going to use to accelerate. I'm not going downshift 5 times just to stop. Or 3 times to go from 6 to 3rd when I could just use the brakes and go right to 3rd. That's like OCD status if you have to use every gear everytime. And again $20 pads versus much more expensive parts to wear... for what just because you have a manual and you can? I'm not trying to use the clutch any more times than I need to even when I'm driving semi-hard. Unless you're 1in behind the guy in front of you with no idea when he might try to take off (on a track maybe) on you how do you not know what gear your going to need next? Or is this really saving you money burning through all these extra shifts just so as not to use the brakes for their intended purpose? Maybe it's a preference thing but it seems inefficient to me unless your in hot battle or not sure what gear you're going to need next. Probably costs more in gas alone than pads let alone maintenance, lol.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:21 PM   #149
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Just what parts are you wearing out by engine braking? Perhaps you could give us your definition of engine braking, then we have something to go buy, and we can compare it to the accepted definition. Stick to "engine braking is excessive wear", not downshifting to a stop.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:39 PM   #150
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I can do it, I just only rev match for a gear I'm actually going to use to accelerate. I'm not going downshift 5 times just to stop. Or 3 times to go from 6 to 3rd when I could just use the brakes and go right to 3rd. That's like OCD status if you have to use every gear everytime. And again $20 pads versus much more expensive parts to wear... for what just because you have a manual and you can? I'm not trying to use the clutch any more times than I need to even when I'm driving semi-hard. Unless you're 1in behind the guy in front of you with no idea when he might try to take off (on a track maybe) on you how do you not know what gear your going to need next? Or is this really saving you money burning through all these extra shifts just so as not to use the brakes for their intended purpose? Maybe it's a preference thing but it seems inefficient to me unless your in hot battle or not sure what gear you're going to need next. Probably costs more in gas alone than pads let alone maintenance, lol.

I don't recommend you use drug store pads in your brake calipers, as those are the only pads you're going to find for $20.

I am convinced you do not know what engine braking is and have a need to be right, always.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:40 PM   #151
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YangerD View Post
I always found it weird that when I have my iPhone charging through the USB and have it laying on the passenger seat it trips the seat belt warning; same goes with leaving my work laptop on the seat.
Any electronics, try it.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:45 PM   #152
p1l0t

Quote:
I don't recommend you use drug store pads in your brake calipers, as those are the only pads you're going to find for $20.

I am convinced you do not know what engine braking is and have a need to be right, always.
I don't need to always be right, and honestly I haven't had to change my pads yet in my BRZ at just under 40k. Even though I don't engine brake! (EDIT: anymore than I have to)... Everytime you put a load on your engine or your clutch it's wear. Maybe normal wear, but wear nonetheless. I'd rather put it on my pads even if they're $40 a wheel!

Old 05-14-2019, 07:07 PM   #153
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
I don't need to always be right, and honestly I haven't had to change my pads yet in my BRZ at just under 40k. Even though I don't engine brake! (EDIT: anymore than I have to)... Everytime you put a load on your engine or your clutch it's wear. Maybe normal wear, but wear nonetheless. I'd rather put it on my pads even if they're $40 a wheel!

So now your $20 pads have morphed into $40 pads, cool.

Let me go check my nearly 3 year old car that has all original parts for engine and clutch wear since I've been engine braking since the day I got my car, it could blow up any day now. BRB.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:08 PM   #154
p1l0t

Quote:
So now your $20 pads have morphed into $40 pads, cool.

Let me go check my nearly 3 year old car that has all original parts for engine and clutch wear since I've been engine braking since the day I got my car, it could blow up any day now. BRB.
Make em $80 it's still cheaper than an engine or a clutch.