follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 04-12-2019, 02:29 AM   #1
Totemo_Hayai

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Road Race Build - SCCA T4

My Touring 4 (T4) FRS build to compete with the car @rice_classic is building here and others. We coordinate on a lot of things but there are differences in our builds so some of the details may help others considering a similar build. For the most part, @rice_classic blazes the trail and I try to keep up, at least in the build process. Hopefully others in the Northwest will also embark on building T4 cars.

T4 for is a great platform for the FRS/86/BRZ because the prep is much less intense compared to Improved Touring (IT as in ITA, ITS, etc.) cars which are generally considered entry level racecars. Building a top notch IT car is a costly endeavor. Building a T4 car is also costly, but the advantage is that it requires less custom fabrication, the cars are more modern, and you can compete in national level events. My build, including the purchase of the car will be in the low $20's. I think a car "starting point" car could be built for $15k including the cost of the car.

I'll be updating this thread and my Instagram as the build proceeds. Things are going much slower than I'd like, but it will get finished. Here is the progress so far:

Purchased the car from a local dealer in November 2018 -
Name:  FRS Purchase.JPG
Views: 1488
Size:  173.4 KB
Removing the Stage 2 clutch, one of the many parts that have to be removed in order to be legal for T4 -
Name:  Clutch Removal.JPG
Views: 1483
Size:  225.7 KB
Interior removal in preparation for the rollcage -
Name:  interior removal.JPG
Views: 1477
Size:  237.8 KB
Driving the car down to Portland in the snow for rollcage fabrication -
Name:  FRS in the snow.jpg
Views: 1509
Size:  235.0 KB
Completed rollcage with paint -
Name:  painted roll cage.jpg
Views: 2160
Size:  235.8 KB

Last edited by Totemo_Hayai; 04-17-2019 at 01:02 AM.
Totemo_Hayai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Totemo_Hayai For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-26-2019), Joesurf79 (05-21-2019), mistople (04-24-2019), NoHaveMSG (04-13-2019), Rampage (04-12-2019), rice_classic (04-12-2019), TMF (04-25-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 11:51 PM   #2
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I can’t wait!
Old 04-17-2019, 01:11 AM   #3
Totemo_Hayai

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
I can’t wait!

Thanks for the help with the wheel bearings. I'm feeling pretty good about getting everything done in the next few weeks for the SCCA Majors events. Hopefully the inaugural NW86Cup event on May 11th and 12th becomes a reality.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:48 AM   #4
Totemo_Hayai

1st Lesson Learned - Try sitting in race seats before purchasing a seat. Unfortunately, there are few if any show rooms that would have every seat of interest available to sit in. If it were in the middle of the race season I would have gone to race and asked to sit in other people's seats. Keep this in mind if you are interested in buying a seat because many people at the track will let you sit in their cars.

This Sparco Circuit II is a little too big for me and the car. Cushions will be needed to support the sides of my torso. The other problem is that the halo of the seat interferes with the cage preventing the seat from sliding back farther. Luckily, it gives me just about the right amount of room. If you're about my size or smaller you definitely want a regular Circuit instead of a Circuit II. For reference, I'm 5'10" and 155 lbs with a 32" waist.

Name:  Circuit II.JPG
Views: 1394
Size:  195.9 KB
JMon85 (04-18-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 09:51 PM   #5
Totemo_Hayai

I'm having a lot of trouble removing the rear wheel bearing. Anyone have suggestions on how to get this off? I've tried heating it and cutting slots so I can pry. It hasn't moved at all in any direction. I also may need to take the whole upright off so tips on how to remove the upper ball joint would be helpful as well.

Name:  rear wheel bearing.JPG
Views: 1428
Size:  284.4 KB
Old 04-23-2019, 10:32 PM   #6
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I don't have any grand ideas, but I've found an air hammer with a chisel bit helps a lot in getting wheel hubs/bearings out, especially if you've already resigned yourself to replacing it.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:18 PM   #7
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Check this video at 9:34. This is how I have done hubs before. I have not done this on a Subaru/FR-S but I have done this on Toyotas.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Y-H8ZVx04"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Y-H8ZVx04[/ame]

You may have to use the punch and hammer on more than one bolt. I have actually had to hit all four before it would break loose if badly rusted. Use lots of penetrating fluid around the hub.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:21 AM   #8
Totemo_Hayai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
I don't have any grand ideas, but I've found an air hammer with a chisel bit helps a lot in getting wheel hubs/bearings out, especially if you've already resigned yourself to replacing it.

Unfortunately, I don't have an air hammer handy. I think one could help loosen things by vibration. If it were a sure bet I'd go find one. Maybe I'll give my hammer drill a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
Check this video at 9:34. This is how I have done hubs before. I have not done this on a Subaru/FR-S but I have done this on Toyotas.

You may have to use the punch and hammer on more than one bolt. I have actually had to hit all four before it would break loose if badly rusted. Use lots of penetrating fluid around the hub.

I'll try this also. I might be difficult for me to swing hard enough laying down under the car. I have hit it many times with a slide hammer secured to the back of the bearing.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:22 AM   #9
snoxracer183

Drives: 2014 FR-S SSC
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Take the whole spindle off and take it to a press rather than messing around. My local Advanced Auto has a machine shop in back and the guy charges me $20 to do it. Hate rusty WI cars and I just don't mess around with it even any more.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:46 PM   #10
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Oh I had the same problem with mine. I ended up removing the whole piece that holds the wheel hub (so disconnecting it from the lower control arm, upper arm and toe-arm), and then hammering it out. I did it with a 5lbs hammer agaisnt another hammer against the wheel hub. It took several full strenght swings (both arms, someone else was holding the other hammer and the wheelhub in place) before I even it saw it move. If yours is as stuck as mine, you wont get it out of there without taking it off the car first (short of cutting it off).
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:58 PM   #11
TMF

Drives: '14 FRS TT5
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Looking forward to watching your build! Any luck with the wheel bearings?
Old 04-26-2019, 02:12 AM   #12
Totemo_Hayai

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoxracer183 View Post
Take the whole spindle off and take it to a press rather than messing around. My local Advanced Auto has a machine shop in back and the guy charges me $20 to do it. Hate rusty WI cars and I just don't mess around with it even any more.

This was the plan. I finally got the spindles off and took them to the machine shop today. Unfortunately, he said they couldn't push them out with their press. I don't fully understand why he was unwilling to do it, maybe it just isn't worth their time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
Oh I had the same problem with mine. I ended up removing the whole piece that holds the wheel hub (so disconnecting it from the lower control arm, upper arm and toe-arm), and then hammering it out. I did it with a 5lbs hammer agaisnt another hammer against the wheel hub. It took several full strenght swings (both arms, someone else was holding the other hammer and the wheelhub in place) before I even it saw it move. If yours is as stuck as mine, you wont get it out of there without taking it off the car first (short of cutting it off).

Now that the spindles are off the car I will probably try some variation of this. First I'll try to drop them off at a local auto repair shop. If they won't take them then I'll start my Saturday morning off by smacking them with the hammer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMF View Post
Looking forward to watching your build! Any luck with the wheel bearings?
Thanks, hopefully I'll have some progress to share this weekend. No luck with the wheel bearings yet, they're really impeding the project. The front wheel bearings did come out with the slide hammer and the new bearings are installed.

Lastly, for anyone trying to remove the rear upper ball joint, use OTC puller 7314A. Any standard size Pitman Arm puller will probably work as well.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:24 AM   #13
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
For what is worth. The dude that helped me take them out also had access to a press at his garage, but said that for these completely seized cases, hammers are the best. It was hard work but the thing came off after 2-3 minutes of hammering it. It was so hard that I though at some point that the spindle was going to brake or bend.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:10 PM   #14
Evan55

Drives: 06 Exige, 17 BRZ PP
love this! great looking cage.

In my SM I used a regular circuit, and Im 6'2" 200 lbs, I can see how a circuit 2 would be too big for you!
Evan55 is offline   Reply With Quote