follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
BlackyRose

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TRD airl filter warranty install question

Any opinions/advice on whether the dealer has to "install" the TRD air filter in order to preserve the "TRD" warranty?

Not sure if there was fine print that someone has already run across or personal experience dealing with personal TRD vs. dealer installed TRD parts.

I would hate to pop in a TRD filter and by some random act of god have a warranty claim denied 3 years down the road because "I did it and not the dealer", even though the filter change takes no real skill to install anyways.
BlackyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
supramkivtt2jz
PROUD OF BOXER

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
dude, again, theyre all the same. save your stock one and throw it in before you go to the dealer if youre that concerned. i swear to god i dont understand why $35 has you running in loops like this
Old 07-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
BlackyRose

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supramkivtt2jz View Post
dude, again, theyre all the same. save your stock one and throw it in before you go to the dealer if youre that concerned. i swear to god i dont understand why $35 has you running in loops like this
I appreciate your concern for my posts, but I am not asking for advice on air filters as I previously was. I have made my decision on the TRD and wanted to know whether to do it myself or have the dealer do it.

Please READ my post before you create a response that "sounds annoyed" through the internet.

I am asking a warranty preservation question. Hopefully the next responder will correctly reply.

And your theory of taking the filter out and putting the stock one in before a service defeats the purpose of the TRD. I am going with the TRD to preserve warranty 100%, just not sure on the technicality or specifics on who is supposed to install TRD parts.
BlackyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
supramkivtt2jz
PROUD OF BOXER

Drives: Raven FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackyRose View Post
I appreciate your concern for my posts, but I am not asking for advice on air filters as I previously was. I have made my decision on the TRD and wanted to know whether to do it myself or have the dealer do it.

Please READ my post before you create a response that "sounds annoyed" through the internet.

I am asking a warranty preservation question. Hopefully the next responder will correctly reply.

And your theory of taking the filter out and putting the stock one in before a service defeats the purpose of the TRD. I am going with the TRD to preserve warranty 100%, just not sure on the technicality or specifics on who is supposed to install TRD parts.
two things:

1. the filter takes 10 minutes to replace. that 10 minutes includes taking a dump, walking the dog, and chugging a beer.

2. If theyre denying a warranty claim because youre using a TRD filter take it to a different shop.

If you REALLY care that much about it, have them throw it in next time you get an oil change. To me, its not worth getting concerned over something that will most likely never happen.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
RIPTRD71

Drives: Raven FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supramkivtt2jz View Post
two things:

1. the filter takes 10 minutes to replace. that 10 minutes includes taking a dump, walking the dog, and chugging a beer.

2. If theyre denying a warranty claim because youre using a TRD filter take it to a different shop.

If you REALLY care that much about it, have them throw it in next time you get an oil change. To me, its not worth getting concerned over something that will most likely never happen.
What he said. Close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootwoot View Post
She's stiff as a goose. I tried yanking out the motor too, that was pretty stiff as well. So.. i'll try the flux capacitor next.
RIPTRD71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
utekineir
blowhard

Drives: frs, project forester
Technically wouldn't they have to prove the filter was improperly installed.

And by that logic, if some were to improperly install an air filter they would have to be retarded sir, real retarded.

and you found your way here and posted with complete sentences and punctuation, so i think you can handle a couple pop clips and a fucking drop in filter.

nut up and stop worrying about an irrelevant thing.

Last edited by utekineir; 07-17-2013 at 07:05 PM.
utekineir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackyRose View Post

I think the other poster's annoyance stems from several potential points,

1. You have the internet and we are assuming you can read, so read the warranty...usually fairly easy to find a copy in english...

2. did you read the warranty?

3. Who told you you can have your warranty voided because you worked on your own car? are you that much of a push over? You can hardly search auto motive and warranty in the same day without ending up with links to references of the magnuson/moss act, basically the dealer would have to prove (not insinuate PROVE) that you screwed up somehow in your installation and relate that through cause and effect back to the failure.

4. How many times did you ask the question, it's an airfilter, you should probably have all of your forum privileges removed for life if you asked this elsewhere and then started a thread to ask it again, if you actually started 2 threads about this subject you should quit modifying your car now, it will only lead to high blood pressure and death
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SkullWorks For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (07-17-2013), supramkivtt2jz (07-17-2013)