follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-20-2016, 03:52 AM   #43
Rustyspoon

Drives: FR-S, XJS, C10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
from the pictures the damage looks mostly cosmetic? Could make someone a great track car.

How fast does someone need to be going to have enough momentum to clear out 6 cars?
Rustyspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:39 AM   #44
olsonpg

Drives: BRZ. R34 GT-T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyspoon View Post
from the pictures the damage looks mostly cosmetic? Could make someone a great track car.

How fast does someone need to be going to have enough momentum to clear out 6 cars?
Yeah I wonder what the first car to get hit looks like.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:29 AM   #45
Spacemane969

Drives: 2013 ARGENTO A/T
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Hey man sorry about your ride. I hope you can find one that fills the void. Be easy..
Spacemane969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:13 AM   #46
mortybryant

Drives: Scion FR-S RS 1.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Did you declare your mods to the insurance?
As I understand in most States if not at fault then they are covered by the other guy's insurance.

I presume you were at a dead stop when he hit all of you? Here if moving even a little and somebody hits you and pushes you into the next car you are still found to be partially at fault because you were "to close".

No my mods were not claimed on my insurance. I was a dead stop when I got hit from behind. I heard the officer tell the woman that caused it that she would have to go to court, so I'm assuming he wrote her a ticket for following too close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mortybryant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mortybryant For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-20-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 10:16 AM   #47
mortybryant

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsonpg View Post
Yeah I wonder what the first car to get hit looks like.

My car looked worse than everyone else's. The car behind me was a Kia Soul. The one behind that, that started it all, was a full size Dodge RAM. The girl behind me swerved to miss me and hit the guard rail and then ran into my front drivers side fender. I was hit directly from behind by the Dodge, and then rear ended a Tacoma.

The Dodge left skid marks for at least 50 feet before it finally stopped.

Tcoat (03-20-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 10:18 AM   #48
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortybryant View Post
No my mods were not claimed on my insurance. I was a dead stop when I got hit from behind. I heard the officer tell the woman that caused it that she would have to go to court, so I'm assuming he wrote her a ticket for following too close.

That is good news (or would be if you were here at any rate). The mods should be covered then but make sure you gather up all your receipts and get quotes for replacement of them all. You will need to prove the value.

Oh and you may want to shop out the "hoonigan" banner if you send that pic to your insurance. Not that it means anything on this case but you do not want a note on your file.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:34 PM   #49
mortybryant

Quick update...

I received a copy of the crash report today. Apparently the driver at fault DID NOT have insurance. Luckily, I have Uninsured Motorist coverage with my insurance company.

The downside: I do not have GAP coverage (mistake on my part, will definitely be purchasing in the future if I ever buy a new car). I checked the KBB value of the car the other day. It is currently valued at $4-6k less than what I owe, so I've got to come up with that difference.

Insurance company informed me today that in order to buy the car back, they will only ask salvage value, which to me is scrap value, which is around $200/ton in my area. Puts it at around $280 to buy back. If this is the case, I'll definitely be going that route.
p1l0t (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 04:47 PM   #50
NyC Zn6

Drives: 10 Series #974 6m/t
Thanked 1,141 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortybryant View Post
Quick update...

I received a copy of the crash report today. Apparently the driver at fault DID NOT have insurance. Luckily, I have Uninsured Motorist coverage with my insurance company.

The downside: I do not have GAP coverage (mistake on my part, will definitely be purchasing in the future if I ever buy a new car). I checked the KBB value of the car the other day. It is currently valued at $4-6k less than what I owe, so I've got to come up with that difference.

Insurance company informed me today that in order to buy the car back, they will only ask salvage value, which to me is scrap value, which is around $200/ton in my area. Puts it at around $280 to buy back. If this is the case, I'll definitely be going that route.
NyC Zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:51 PM   #51
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
That's awesome how uninsured shit heads share the roads with us. And tear our cars all to shit and leave us hanging. They get a slap on the hand and we get rate heights and busted cars. States are taking these fuckers to lightly and they need to do something about them.
Bykov (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 04:57 PM   #52
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
buy a brz?
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:59 PM   #53
bmxbandit

Drives: '96 Camaro SS & '99 Mustang
sorry for your loss. as a fellow RS1 owner I understand being upset. its something I think about a lot when driving my own car. I fear someone hitting me and then not being able to find a replacement. with only 1500 around odds of getting another is slim.
'96 Camaro SS #1883 | '00 Mustang GT
'08 350Z | '15 FR-S Release Series 1.0 #670
bmxbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:04 PM   #54
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardsFRS View Post
That's awesome how uninsured shit heads share the roads with us. And tear our cars all to shit and leave us hanging. They get a slap on the hand and we get rate heights and busted cars. States are taking these fuckers to lightly and they need to do something about them.

Doesn't that open the driver to civil court cases for punitive damages or any injuries, towing the car (including tons of fees), several tickets ranging from a few hundreds to several thousands, driver licence suspension, increase in insurance when he does get insured?

It's like this here in Qc, I mean yeah they should be more strict about it but it still not exactly a slap on the hand (not familiar with the situation where you are from so maybe you could clarify a bit if it's different from what I stated)
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:18 PM   #55
mortybryant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu1 View Post
Doesn't that open the driver to civil court cases for punitive damages or any injuries, towing the car (including tons of fees), several tickets ranging from a few hundreds to several thousands, driver licence suspension, increase in insurance when he does get insured?

It's like this here in Qc, I mean yeah they should be more strict about it but it still not exactly a slap on the hand (not familiar with the situation where you are from so maybe you could clarify a bit if it's different from what I stated)

I honestly don't know what the laws are in Tennessee. IMO, if she didn't have insurance, there's probably no point in suing her for being a pain in my a$$.

This is the first accident I've been involved in, so I'm not 100% on what my options are. I understand my insurance will pay the value of the car, but as stated earlier, there's a gap there that needs to be covered. I've also got $4k+ in mods, and the car is in Chattanooga, and I have no way of getting it to Indiana easily.

I would obviously like to go after the involved parties for compensation of everything, but I'm just not sure it would be worth it.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:23 PM   #56
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu1 View Post

If you are talking about the non-insured driver that causes the accident. If they can't afford car insurance ... I doubt the non-insured individual would be able to pay any of those other penalties you speak of.