follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2020, 12:51 AM   #1891
98gsrsn

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm new to tuning and just wanted some input on my logs.

Vehicle: 2016 BRZ Manual (US)

I've had an OFT and the stage 1 tune for about 4 months. No logs from that time.

In early January, I installed an FT86SpeedFactory catted UEL header and flashed the Stage 2 tune. It ran a bit rich at first but seemed to adjust nicely with pretty low or non-existent fuel trims and the kind of knock adjustment you'd expect with 91 gas (IAM was sitting around 0.65-0.75).

Then a week later I installed the OFT Flex Fuel kit (EVAP sensor), still running 91 gas (although from a different station that normal - maybe this is also a factor). It did not seem to do well on this tune, or maybe with this gas, I'm not sure which. IAM ended up going all the way down to 0.0 eventually.

The IAM then shot back up to 1.0 after about 20 miles on E85. The engine seems much happier on E85.

I have included logs for:

-Stage 2 tune just with the header installed, but no Flex Fuel sensor installed yet after a week.

-Stage 2 Flex Fuel tune with the flex fuel sensor installed, but running 91 gas after about a week.

-Stage 2 Flex Fuel tune with E85 after about a week.

The flex fuel tune seems to have around 7-10% total fuel trim (LTFT sits around 8%) when there is no engine load or at idle regardless of whether it's on 91 gas or E85. The higher fuel trim numbers at low load only started with the flex fuel tune (and sensor). I did not install any other hardware.

I'm not sure how much of a problem this is, or if it indicates a vacuum/exhaust leak. The only source of a vacuum leak I can think of is if I bumped the brake booster hose when wiring the ECA sensor, but it seems firmly attached to me. I've already re-torqued the bolts on the header twice (22ft/lbs) and saw no indication of an exhaust leak.

The only other thing I can think of is the Flex Fuel tune is based on a catless header and maybe that is messing with the fuel trims.

Any suggestions? Is there even anything wrong here?

Thanks

https://datazap.me/u/98gsrsn/1-oft-stage-2-no-flex-fuel-kit-installed-yet-91-gas?log=0&data=1
https://datazap.me/u/98gsrsn/2-oft-stage-2-ff-tune-flex-fuel-kit-installed-91-gas?log=0&data=1
https://datazap.me/u/98gsrsn/3-oft-stage-2-ff-tunes-flex-fuel-kit-installed-e85?log=0&data=1
Attached Files
File Type: zip Logs.zip (537.7 KB, 145 views)

Last edited by 98gsrsn; 02-04-2020 at 03:16 AM. Reason: datazap links
98gsrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:08 AM   #1892
kev0

Drives: '14
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98gsrsn View Post
I'm new to tuning and just wanted some input on my logs.

Vehicle: 2016 BRZ Manual (US)

I've had an OFT and the stage 1 tune for about 4 months. No logs from that time.

In early January, I installed an FT86SpeedFactory catted UEL header and flashed the Stage 2 tune. It ran a bit rich at first but seemed to adjust nicely with pretty low or non-existent fuel trims and the kind of knock adjustment you'd expect with 91 gas (IAM was sitting around 0.65-0.75).

Then a week later I installed the OFT Flex Fuel kit (EVAP sensor), still running 91 gas (although from a different station that normal - maybe this is also a factor). It did not seem to do well on this tune, or maybe with this gas, I'm not sure which. IAM ended up going all the way down to 0.0 eventually.

The IAM then shot back up to 1.0 after about 20 miles on E85. The engine seems much happier on E85.

I have included logs for:

-Stage 2 tune just with the header installed, but no Flex Fuel sensor installed yet after a week.

-Stage 2 Flex Fuel tune with the flex fuel sensor installed, but running 91 gas after about a week.

-Stage 2 Flex Fuel tune with E85 after about a week.

The flex fuel tune seems to have around 7-10% total fuel trim (LTFT sits around 8%) when there is no engine load or at idle regardless of whether it's on 91 gas or E85. The higher fuel trim numbers at low load only started with the flex fuel tune (and sensor). I did not install any other hardware.

I'm not sure how much of a problem this is, or if it indicates a vacuum/exhaust leak. The only source of a vacuum leak I can think of is if I bumped the brake booster hose when wiring the ECA sensor, but it seems firmly attached to me. I've already re-torqued the bolts on the header twice (22ft/lbs) and saw no indication of an exhaust leak.

The only other thing I can think of is the Flex Fuel tune is based on a catless header and maybe that is messing with the fuel trims.

Any suggestions? Is there even anything wrong here?

Thanks
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the OFT E85 tune is not a flex fuel
tune. You may have to contact OFT/Shiv for a flex fuel tune.
kev0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:30 AM   #1893
98gsrsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev0 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the OFT E85 tune is not a flex fuel
tune. You may have to contact OFT/Shiv for a flex fuel tune.

You're correct that the E85 tune that comes on the OFT isn't a flex fuel tune. I have an open flash performance flex fuel kit though, and a tune from OFP directly (they now provide one when you give them proof of purchase of the flex fuel kit through an official vendor) that is meant to interpret the new ethanol content sensor. The sensor seems to be working fine, which you can see in the logs.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:58 AM   #1894
kev0

Drives: '14
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
You're correct that the E85 tune that comes on the OFT isn't a flex fuel tune. I have an open flash performance flex fuel kit though, and a tune from OFP directly (they now provide one when you give them proof of purchase of the flex fuel kit through an official vendor) that is meant to interpret the new ethanol content sensor. The sensor seems to be working fine, which you can see in the logs.
Oh ok. Upload the log to datazap.me so more people can look at it and hopefully chime in. It's a very convenient way to read logs.
kev0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:15 AM   #1895
98gsrsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev0 View Post
Oh ok. Upload the log to datazap.me so more people can look at it and hopefully chime in. It's a very convenient way to read logs.

Thanks for the tip. I added the links to the main post and here:

https://datazap.me/u/98gsrsn/1-oft-stage-2-no-flex-fuel-kit-installed-yet-91-gas?log=0&data=1
https://datazap.me/u/98gsrsn/2-oft-stage-2-ff-tune-flex-fuel-kit-installed-91-gas?log=0&data=1
https://datazap.me/u/98gsrsn/3-oft-stage-2-ff-tunes-flex-fuel-kit-installed-e85?log=0&data=1
Old 02-11-2020, 03:13 AM   #1896
98gsrsn

No answers yet, but this graph kinda summarizes my concern. The LTFT is around 8% at zero load, then goes up to maybe 15% with a small amount of load, then drops to zero at higher load/rpm.

The colors indicate LTFT value.

Again, this is on an OFT flex fuel tune with flex fuel sensor indicating about 76% ethanol for this log.

Is this pointing to an exhaust leak?

Name:  HighLTFT.PNG
Views: 592
Size:  63.2 KB

Last edited by 98gsrsn; 02-11-2020 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Added information
Old 02-11-2020, 11:45 AM   #1897
hpanju

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
I wanted some input on my current stage 2 map to see if it needs any tweaking but I'm not 100% sure what channels I should be logging. Can anyone help me out? Relatively new to the whole tuning scene.
hpanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 07:03 PM   #1898
mrjj

Drives: GT86 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I just installed an Ace header and went for a (slow) drive. The car sounds weird under load. Sounds normal when reving stand-still, but when driving I can hear noise from under the car from ~2500 rpm (or when pushing the throttle, hard to tell).
I figure I have an exhaust leak between the overpipe and midpipe, or possible just a skid plate rubbing (common for Ace 350). I did however hammer out the skid plate.

Anyway, I'm no expert and would like to know if the log looks OK to drive the car for a while (to get some soot at the leak or marks on the skid plate). Thanks in advance!

https://datazap.me/u/mrjj/ace-drive?log=0&data=14-19-37
mrjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:36 PM   #1899
thornad

Drives: 2016 GT86 N/A
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
What do you gus think ?

3 WOT pulls in 3rd, Tomei EL Manifold, petrol.

https://datazap.me/u/thornad/log-158...13&solo=2-9-11

Last edited by thornad; 03-22-2020 at 02:13 PM.
thornad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:46 PM   #1900
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
No answers yet, but this graph kinda summarizes my concern. The LTFT is around 8% at zero load, then goes up to maybe 15% with a small amount of load, then drops to zero at higher load/rpm.

The colors indicate LTFT value.

Again, this is on an OFT flex fuel tune with flex fuel sensor indicating about 76% ethanol for this log.

Is this pointing to an exhaust leak?
Yup

@98gsrsn no vaccum leak and no leaking from the header flange, try checking your O2 sensors.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.

Last edited by solidONE; 03-23-2020 at 02:37 PM.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:19 PM   #1901
Superoy

Drives: 2014 FR-S
2nd-4th gear WOT run
SBD TURBO KIT 10PSI
Wondering if all looks ok to you guys, thanks for the help

https://datazap.me/u/norrinradd86/2-...13&zoom=32-213
Superoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:59 PM   #1902
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,059 Times in 769 Posts
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
yes it looks good
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:02 PM   #1903
Superoy

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
yes it looks good
Thanks for the reply, just thought the boost curve was a little jumpy, might have just been the road or my foot coming off throttle at times. Thanks again

Last edited by Superoy; 04-09-2020 at 03:03 PM. Reason: type o
Superoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 01:55 PM   #1904
Dom_J

Drives: BRZ, E63 AMG, Lancer, Integra
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Is this false knock?

Hello, just doing some E85(pump shell gas station) runs and getting acquainted w/the OFT Romraider setup. Been running great for years. I have the grams TB on the way along with a new Over Pipe. I'm also going to hit a dyno to see if a 3.5" intake will yield results over the TRD panel filter setup w/the hood closed. I'm trying to make sure things play well together before trying some new stuff.

TRD Intake Box w/GReddy Intake Scoop
Crawford Power Blocks
Crawford AOS
HKS 4-2-1
De-catted Front Pipe
Greddy 3" Exhaust
Stock Over Pipe

I've seen where we shouldn't concern ourselves much with knock under (-0.7) and I've only worked my way up about 2 degrees from the initial runs. If I'm not mistaken MBT on the FA on E85 might be roughly 39*. Out of (6) pulls the FLKC readings appears to be pretty consistent from 6800-7200 and Ill probably add a tad more fuel shooting for (11.7) up top.

Is this false knock maybe due to reaching my shift point? (2) of the runs, it did not register FLKC at all. My goal has simply been to add to where the power blocks drop off and it's been quite fun. I'd love to hit a dyno and see if anything can be done with the VTC settings to see if we can really let these things breathe. Thanks!
Attached Images