follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-11-2015, 07:29 PM   #15
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyarzee View Post
Honestly I find it hard to comprehend how a mini Cooper is more "practical".
I completely agree that most people overestimate their actual needs for 'practicality', however my dad has a new Mini and it blows the 86 away on the practicality scale in terms of interior storage space and seating space. I'd call the Mini actually comfortable for 4 people to ride inside of. Shame he ruins it by keeping his KW's on full stiff and super low all the time... I'd almost recommend it to the OP as it can be had cheaper than a new 86 and about as fast stock for stock but the new BMW engine is a question mark so maybe not a huge improvement there.

After 43k miles I still have confidence in my 86, but I have a high tolerance for cars that need attention at this point in my life. It's also been extremely rare that the 86 has been too impractical for me and I had to resort to borrowing a truck or sedan/wagon. Worst case is going out to lunch I can really only drive one other person.

Miata is probably safer on the reliability front as the FA20 is still relatively unproven but the SkyActiv 2.0L has been on the road since '12 in the Mazda3 and other models since, many more miles racked up on those.

I won't pretend to know anything about snow. Good luck, keep test driving. Worth noting that the new WRX's fuel economy is not significantly lower than the 86 (24 vs 25 combined), the Miata's and Mazda3's is much better (30+).
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:43 PM   #16
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Worth noting that the new WRX's fuel economy is not significantly lower than the 86 (24 vs 25 combined), the Miata's and Mazda3's is much better (30+).
It's not quite apples to oranges for fuel economy with turbo cars and N/A cars - my last car was also rated for 25 MPG combined, but I get better gas mileage in my BRZ than I did in my GTI. If you like to drive around in boost, gas mileage can go to poop very, very quickly.
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:44 PM   #17
jdmblood

Drives: white subaru brz
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I completely agree that most people overestimate their actual needs for 'practicality', however my dad has a new Mini and it blows the 86 away on the practicality scale in terms of interior storage space and seating space. I'd call the Mini actually comfortable for 4 people to ride inside of. Shame he ruins it by keeping his KW's on full stiff and super low all the time... I'd almost recommend it to the OP as it can be had cheaper than a new 86 and about as fast stock for stock but the new BMW engine is a question mark so maybe not a huge improvement there.

After 43k miles I still have confidence in my 86, but I have a high tolerance for cars that need attention at this point in my life. It's also been extremely rare that the 86 has been too impractical for me and I had to resort to borrowing a truck or sedan/wagon. Worst case is going out to lunch I can really only drive one other person.

Miata is probably safer on the reliability front as the FA20 is still relatively unproven but the SkyActiv 2.0L has been on the road since '12 in the Mazda3 and other models since, many more miles racked up on those.

I won't pretend to know anything about snow. Good luck, keep test driving. Worth noting that the new WRX's fuel economy is not significantly lower than the 86 (24 vs 25 combined), the Miata's and Mazda3's is much better (30+).
Your dad drives a lowered mini? thats fking awesome. pics????

my dad drives a nismo 370z yet refuses to mod it.
jdmblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:52 PM   #18
El Guapo

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydog812 View Post
The wrx and the Mazda 3 are looking like more practical options but the Mazda isn't as fun and wrx fuel economy is terrible...
Did you test drive a Mazda 3 or a Mazdaspeed 3? I feel like people sometimes forget the speed 3 exists. The MS3 has what you are looking for OP: practicality, good fuel economy, and it does well in the winter with winter tires.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:00 PM   #19
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I'm one of the unlucky owners who had almost all the problems this car has. My car probably sat in the dealer for total of 2 months. A few days here and a few days there, for so many number of times. But all of these issues were minor and the car was drive-able. I could schedule each appointment weeks away and I could keep driving the car meanwhile. And every time I get in to the loaner car, I get to know how good this car is. As far as getting you to work reliably, this car will get you to. And the car you're looking at is 2014 model. It should have most of the problems taken care of at the factory by that time. So, you probably won't have any problem with it. 2015/2016 WRX fuel economy is not that much worse than FR-S. My friend has '15 WRX and we drive similar way. He gets only 2 mpg less than I do. Unless you're talking about '14 and earlier.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:02 PM   #20
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celica00 View Post
Winter tires. Stick to the main roads that get plowed(ploughed?) and you'll be fine. (I live in the mountains of Utah and spent two FRS winters here.)
Proper snow tires and you become the plow!
Cole (12-11-2015), Sarlacc (12-11-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 08:40 PM   #21
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmblood View Post
Your dad drives a lowered mini? thats fking awesome. pics????

my dad drives a nismo 370z yet refuses to mod it.
A few here and there, here's me driving it on like my 10th autox run in it. Fun car, rotates real nice when it's setup right and the new B48 motor is great, blows the FA20 away on torque but not nearly as satisfying to rev out.

Aftermarket support is really sparse, he needs camber bad for it to be competitive but only KW and Bilstein sell camber plates and they have to be paired with their clubsport packages nobody else (well maybe like BC and St), and wheel clearance is tough to go over 7" wide. Even though the same engine goes into the JCW and other BMWs at 230+ hp nobody really has good power upgrades for it yet, a couple piggybacks exist and some guys will hack up your ecu but it's nowhere near as well developed as the 86s aftermarket.
Attached Images

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Cole (12-11-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 09:04 PM   #22
Celica00

Drives: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Proper snow tires and you become the plow!

How I think I look:

How I really look:
Celica00 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Celica00 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-11-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 09:36 PM   #23
JCE17

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Asphalt 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydog812 View Post
The hatch back comes in really handy on Home Depot runs. I've moved a couple trees, 2x4's, snowboard, foosball table, all 4 snow wheels, Costco size fill in the blank...

More importantly I have a 45lb fox terrier mix that rides in the car 2-3 times a week. I think the frs can work for him ok but rear hatch entry was nice.

Also do you actually recommend a different car for an only daily driver?
My 100+ lb German Shepherd rides in my FR-S just fine. Shotgun or the backseat. Just put plenty of towels/blankets down do contain the hair.

I also fit an ice hockey bag in the trunk just fine, sticks have to ride in the cabin though. With the seats down I fit two wakeboards and gear along with luggage just fine.
JCE17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JCE17 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (12-11-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 09:38 PM   #24
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
How I think I look:

How I really look:
I have got to get somebody to video me going down our unplowed, untouched road covered with 14+ inches of snow. The plumes thrown up each side are spectacular.
Celica00 (12-11-2015), Sarlacc (12-11-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 09:51 PM   #25
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm in central Massachusetts...get some good snows and drive like you're not an idiot and you'll be fine. Or drive like an idiot and really have some fun. As far as practicality is concerned, the Mini has it beat, but in reality, how often are you trying to max out your car in terms of cargo? I'm not doing that very frequently, so the trade off is worth it for me. On that note, with the back seat down, I was able to get the entire cat-back exhaust system for a Jeep Liberty in my FRS, all in one piece. The guys at the dealer couldn't believe it, and frankly, I was pretty shocked and pleased as well. lol
venturaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:51 PM   #26
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
A few here and there, here's me driving it on like my 10th autox run in it. Fun car, rotates real nice when it's setup right and the new B48 motor is great, blows the FA20 away on torque but not nearly as satisfying to rev out.

Aftermarket support is really sparse, he needs camber bad for it to be competitive but only KW and Bilstein sell camber plates and they have to be paired with their clubsport packages nobody else (well maybe like BC and St), and wheel clearance is tough to go over 7" wide. Even though the same engine goes into the JCW and other BMWs at 230+ hp nobody really has good power upgrades for it yet, a couple piggybacks exist and some guys will hack up your ecu but it's nowhere near as well developed as the 86s aftermarket.
That's the coolest picture I've seen all day.

I don't get out much.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (12-11-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 09:51 PM   #27
Celica00

Drives: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE17 View Post
My 100+ lb German Shepherd rides in my FR-S just fine. Shotgun or the backseat. Just put plenty of towels/blankets down do contain the hair.

I also fit an ice hockey bag in the trunk just fine, sticks have to ride in the cabin though. With the seats down I fit two wakeboards and gear along with luggage just fine.

Those are two activities I'd never figure would go into the same thought. Where is this magical place that let's you have your cake and eat it, too?
Celica00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:58 PM   #28
JCE17

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Asphalt 6MT
Quote:
Those are two activities I'd never figure would go into the same thought. Where is this magical place that let's you have your cake and eat it, too?
Haha. St. Louis, MO! Lake during the summer for wakeboarding. Ice Hockey in the winter in STL.
JCE17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JCE17 For This Useful Post:
Celica00 (12-11-2015)