follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 05-03-2015, 12:28 PM   #1
Talus1

Drives: '06 Cayman, ‘23 BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
What is the funniest test drive you've ever had?

I'll start.

My wife and I tested a Cooper S one winter. We took the usual test route everyone in London seems to use (Bostwick, for those that know London). Half way up Bostwick, I pulled over so we could change drivers. The shoulder was snow covered, but had been graded so no problem.

On the way home after dropping the Mini off, we passed the Mercedes dealer and on a whim I decided to try test driving a Smart. We took the same route and, as before, I pulled over to swap drivers but about 200m earlier. Unfortunately the shoulder there slopes down to a field but the snow had been graded level. We found ourselves sliding slowly down the slope till both right wheels dropped into the ditch, in about 2' of thick, slushy snow. We were stuck fast. The wife got out and tried to push, which didn't get us anywhere. So I got out to push. Of course my wife hadn't driven the car yet so she didn't know how to work the semi-auto transmission. I'm pushing and yelling instructions at her and getting nowhere when two women in a mini van drive up and stop to help. They thought it was hilarious that this happened on a test drive. Anyway, with them pushing on the back, me pushing the nose sideways toward the road and my wife pulsing the throttle we finally got the little bugger free.

We stopped in a parking lot on the way back and cleared the snow out of all the crevices in the car. There wasn't any damage, so we just drove it back to the dealer, thanked them for the test drive and went home. No Smart for us, thanks!
Talus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Talus1 For This Useful Post:
bumppinKota (05-03-2015), Tcoat (05-04-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 10:17 PM   #2
GTHachiRoku
Big in Japan

Drives: turBRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I had a test drive in a Fiesta ST with a 600lb guy who could barely fit inside the car. The car was not happy to say the least. Thankfully I got some time alone with it too.
GTHachiRoku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GTHachiRoku For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-08-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 11:14 PM   #3
Kryptik319

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Working as a salesman I have a few funny stories but I'll share my favorite.

Guy pulls in an early 2000s Camry, says he wants something better on gas and asked about the Smart we had on the lot. This guy is every bit of 6'4 and 300+ pounds. Those of you familiar with the Smart will know it's surprisingly roomy inside, but not that roomy. The whole time I'm think to myself "There's no way this guy is going to fit."

Anyway I do the walk-around on the car and have him get in the passenger seat (I always started my test drives this way). I drive out a few miles and continue talking about the car and show him some of the features. I pull over in an empty parking lot and switch him seats. I walk over to the passenger side and hop in. I glance over and see him struggling to get in. He then asks if the steering wheel tilts up, which it didn't. His belly wouldn't clear the wheel...

Needless to say it was a very awkward drive back to the dealership.
Kryptik319 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kryptik319 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-08-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 12:18 AM   #4
humdizzle

Drives: 2018 GT3 / 2015 M3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
im glad im not the only one that recognizes the fat salesman problem. when you weigh 10% of what the car does it tends to change things.

anyway here was how my test drive ended lol:

we actually got pulled over not having plates on the car lol. cop was cool though.. told the salesman i should get a big discount for that.
humdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humdizzle For This Useful Post:
bumppinKota (05-08-2015), GTHachiRoku (05-08-2015), Tcoat (05-08-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 09:04 AM   #5
pinski
Stole my avy from zGrinch

Drives: 2015 Audi S3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Not that funny, but when I test drove a 997 cab, the salesman grabbed the front seat and my girlfriend was relegated to the back seat. Those of you familiar with that car know the rear seatbacks are basically vertical and the rear seat space is no better than our cars.

Salesman was in full sales mode and put the top down for our drive, and during the rather long loop, I kept looking in the rear view mirror to see my girlfriend perched on that uncomfortable back seat, wind whipping her hair around her face. I'm not sure she was able to actually see anything the entire drive, poor thing. Fortunately, she's pretty small so she was able to fit back there okay. Not the most comfortable test drive for her at all.

2015 Audi /S3 | Panther Black | DSG
Gone...2014 BRZ, 2010 Lexus IS F-Sport, 2006 Mazda MX5, 1997 Mustang GT
pinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:43 AM   #6
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
My "funniest" was also one of my saddest. I was desperately trying to get rid of my 2012 Lancer GT and the dealer had a 08 Eclipse Spyder that looked absolutely pristine, was fully loaded and although 4 years older had a 1/4 of the miles of my Lancer on it. At that time it was my dream vehicle and they had a sign in the window for only $22K. The car had been on the lot for a month or so and I figured they would deal.
So, sales guy grabs the keys and out we go. Start to put the top down and it jams. He says "we will fix that". Try to adjust the seat and it jams. "We will fix that". It hesitates when we go to start it but eventually starts up. "We will fix that". No gas so we go to put some in and now it won't even turn over and have to get a boost. "We will fix that". Down shifting and the knob comes off in my hand. "We will fix that". All in all there were about 12 occasions where I hear "we will fix that".
Get back to the lot and he reaches under the seat and pulls out the price card. Unfortunately (for him) he grabs the wrong one and all of a sudden the car is priced at $18.5K. OK cool I just saved some money.
They look at my year and half old Lancer and offer me $6K trade in and say the sign in the window is wrong and the price is $20K (not even the same as the first sign). I am pretty pissed at this point so ask why so little on the trade in? They say "well there are some door dings and paint chips we will have to fix". I just responded "I can fix that" got in and drove away.
Attached Images

babydriver (05-08-2015), Bobblehead (05-08-2015), BRZZZZZZZZZZ (05-08-2015), pinski (05-08-2015), soulreapersteve (05-08-2015), strat61caster (05-08-2015), STV3 (05-08-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 11:03 AM   #7
babydriver
Hit the road and I'm gone

Drives: 2015 FR-S Burnt Orange (Hot Lava)
Thanked 1,786 Times in 973 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quite a few years ago I stopped in at a Triumph dealer (the car, not the motorcycle) and asked to test drive a TR7. The salesman drove off the lot with it and did a demonstration on some local windy roads of its pretty good handling characteristics. After about 10 minutes he decided it was time for me to have a crack at it. Big mistake.

I took off in full sports car mode, doing EXACTLY what he had been doing for the past 10 minutes. After about 1 minute, the salesman demanded that I stop driving. He then proceeded to lecture me about how I needed to driver the car more gently unless I was willing to write a check on the spot. I just figured "sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander".

As it turns out, it was just as well that I didn't buy the Triumph. The TR7, despite its good looks for the late 70's, was a real hunk of junk with endless problems.

Tcoat (05-08-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 12:13 PM   #8
53Driver
T64-416Ax3=13,140shp

Drives: 2002 AP1 and 2015 F-150 EB (DD)
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Took a brand new Chevrolet Tahoe for a test drive back in the mid-2000s. The wife took the back seat and the salesman took the passengers seat. Drove a few miles down the road while the salesman is giving me the sell. As we approach an intersection he says "Hey, lets make a U-turn here and we can hit the freeway for a jaunt". I slow down, get in the left turn lane, and once traffic was clear I proceed to make a left U-turn and all of a sudden there's a large BANG from the front of the vehicle, the steering gets mushy and I pull off to the side of the road. Salesman hops out to take a look and turns out the passenger side front tire completely blew out. Man I've never seen a salesman's face get so red and then he couldn't stop apologizing saying "this has never happened before". Pretty sad when a tow truck has to come pick you up from a test drive.

53Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 53Driver For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-08-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 12:14 PM   #9
rucfj159

Drives: 15frs 89volvo765&780
Garage
when i was 18 young and dumb, I went to a local used car lot and test drove an 84 corvette. My friend was with me so no room for sales guy. we took it on an hour long joy ride and did a few doughnuts, burnouts and some power slides. when we got back to the dealer the sales guy told us he got a phone call, someone saw us doing the doughnuts. He was actually pretty cool about it and said unless we are going to buy the car we should just leave.
rucfj159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:30 PM   #10
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Went to drive a FRS with some friends, sales guy took the wheel first and before I knew it he was doing 180km/h on a car with 20km on it on a public road...

Went to go buy BMW 335i, got there and was told the car had no clutch or rear tires but they price was the same... No thanks bought a different BMW instead.
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:51 PM   #11
Annahra

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
When we were test driving my Genesis (just me and the boyfriend in the car), we passed a Mustang with the same dealer plates that had just been pulled over. Got back and asked the salesman if they had just sent out a Mustang because the guy might be a while getting back. He started laughing and went and told the other salesman who's client was getting a ticket.
Annahra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:53 PM   #12
FR-Shred

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Fat salesman story.
My old roommate was looking at cars, saw a scion tc that was on lowering springs at a dealer. We went to the dealer and the sales man is like 6'4" and 400lbs. The roommate was about 6'1" and 270, I am 6'4" and 200 so we had almost 1000lbs in this car and it was already lowered.. we scrapped on everything.. haha
Old 05-08-2015, 06:49 PM   #13
Talus1

Drives: '06 Cayman, ‘23 BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Back when there was no Mini dealer in London, I convinced the wife we should drive to Kitchener for a test drive at the dealer there. On the way, we stopped at the Audi dealer in Waterloo who had a nice used B6 S4. Cross shopping, right? Anyway, we were cruising around enjoying the lovely, cultured V8 rumble but I wanted to find somewhere we could push it a bit, so I headed into an industrial area. I turned off into a large parking lot and started to hit the gas when the wife starts laughing and poking my shoulder. I was trying to do a donut in the Police department parking lot. Fortunately there was no one around.

After the Audi, the wife refused to take the Mini seriously. She said I needed a "grown up" car. You'd think she know me better...
Talus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Talus1 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-15-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 10:48 AM   #14
JCE17

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Asphalt 6MT
Not really a test drive story but when I took my driving test when I was 16, the officer really liked my car (Honda Prelude). During the driving portion he asked me what the fastest I had gotten the car up to. I responded with 70, since that's the highest speed limit on the highways around me. He sounded disappointed and said he would have tried to get it over 100. Then he proceeded to tell me how fast he drives on a regular basis. Somewhat odd to hear that coming from a police officer.
JCE17 is offline   Reply With Quote