follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 03-24-2015, 11:06 PM   #57
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Yet he suggested that an engine that came out in 1980 and had been out of production for two years before the FT86 concept even existed was only cut because it would cost more than designing an all new engine with a very new fancy injection system?

Go figure...

Back on BEAMS topic, how much do these weigh? And is there a suitable bell housing to match up with an R154?
Ummm... the FA20 is an FB20 (already in the Impreza before the FR-S came out) adapted for direct-injection. Engine sourced from Subaru distributes the cost so both companies take a smaller hit than just Toyota taking a bigger hit sourcing an S-series plus emissions updates to maintain CAFE ratings, etc. There are a lot of cost factors which we can't debate without the facts. I'm just providing this tidbit because I thought it to be of interest for this thread.

Don't get why you need to get fresh. Maybe you're just that type of person. There's so much more info I pick up about this car such as the mid-cycle suspension changes that I've known since over a year ago or the no turbo update that I've known since forever (I occasionally talk to the guy who made that a mandatory requirement from the onset). Same circle of people in SoCal involved with Toyota defining the goals of the 86 successor. I just lose motivation to share with people who make me tired of this forum.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:33 PM   #58
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
Ummm... the FA20 is an FB20 (already in the Impreza before the FR-S came out) adapted for direct-injection. Engine sourced from Subaru distributes the cost so both companies take a smaller hit than just Toyota taking a bigger hit sourcing an S-series plus emissions updates to maintain CAFE ratings, etc. There are a lot of cost factors which we can't debate without the facts. I'm just providing this tidbit because I thought it to be of interest for this thread.

Don't get why you need to get fresh. Maybe you're just that type of person. There's so much more info I pick up about this car such as the mid-cycle suspension changes that I've known since over a year ago or the no turbo update that I've known since forever (I occasionally talk to the guy who made that a mandatory requirement from the onset). Same circle of people in SoCal involved with Toyota defining the goals of the 86 successor. I just lose motivation to share with people who make me tired of this forum.
Um, the BEAMS was dead before the FT86 was a well formed idea. That would be on par with saying your 'source' claims the 2JZ is being considered for the new not-Supra.

As serial pointed out no sensible engineer is going to pass up an opportunity for a new, better engine at the same cost or even more than upgrading an iron block, pollution dinosaur (Albeit a fantastic performance dinosaur).

The no-turbo isn't news for anyone paying halfways attention to development, and mid cycle suspension changes are also predictable from precedent. The 3S claim just ruins any faint credibility gained from easy predictions.

And Aichi trumps SoCal.

Not that it's relevant to a swap thread anyways.

But BEAMS weight is. Is the touch under 300 lbs figure I found, true?

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:35 PM   #59
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:

I understand both sides of the argument, but in all fairness, i havent seen you post this said information about the suspension mid cycle refresh.

It wouls be a joy to hear some new data about this mid cycle refresh and any new updates the car may have.

(To be fair, when the car was annouced, everyone who could read between the lines knew this car wasnt getting a turbo)
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdrazic93 For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 12:44 AM   #60
Fizz
Senior Addict

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
A friend who is "in the know" with Toyota said that the 3S-GE or some variant of it was in the original plan for the 86. But that idea got shot down due it driving cost up into 370Z territory, hence, the Subaru collab.
Well there may be "some" truth in that...but I don't the 3S-GE got even close to being in the shortlist during the early development stages. My understanding is this....

Early in 2007 Toyota approved the creation of a new sports car. Bear in mind that at this stage they had already bought a small stake in Subaru, which they later increased in 2008. Early in the project the engineering team did consider using existing in-line 4cyl engines, but that idea got rejected very quickly.

Since they already had some involvement in Subaru they then settled on using the boxer flat four....and a big reason or benefit with using the boxer (apart from the obvious low cg & handling benefits) was that its very low height made it possible for them to engineer a very low hood line. Also bear in mind that they would've had to meet tougher new pedestrian impact safety etc, which meant having a certain amount of gap between the top of the engine and underside of hood. Using a normal in-line engine would have almost certainly meant a higher hood line and the 86 would've looked pretty different to what it is today.
Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fizz For This Useful Post:
CxG (09-18-2018)
Old 03-25-2015, 12:55 AM   #61
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
But BEAMS weight is. Is the touch under 300 lbs figure I found, true?
Hmmm this number is harder to find than I thought, but I recall the turbo one being something like 350-400 ish maybe higher, and I always thought the NA one was around 350? The K20 is already over 300 lbs I think, but it carries more mass in the head than a 3S would.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
Shit Luck (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 02:35 AM   #62
Manji
Toyotas don't have boxers

Drives: GTV86, ISF, TE27
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
145kg. With all ancillaries. Sans exh manifold.

Wouldn't need PS pump obviously.
Manji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manji For This Useful Post:
Dimman (03-25-2015), hmong337 (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 03:40 AM   #63
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
As someone previously heavily involved with SR20s... all I will say is the Toyota S engine is much like the SR20 or other crazy awesome engines from the 1980s and 1990s: it simply won't meet modern emissions requirements.

To just say this engine is awesome as an aftermarket project is accurate. To say "it should've came in the car from the start!" is to basically say "this car should've been made 10 years ago!"

That is what is fundamentally at play here. Tighter emissions requirements + a need to have more efficiency.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Tristor (12-04-2018)
Old 03-25-2015, 05:10 AM   #64
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
As someone previously heavily involved with SR20s... all I will say is the Toyota S engine is much like the SR20 or other crazy awesome engines from the 1980s and 1990s: it simply won't meet modern emissions requirements.

To just say this engine is awesome as an aftermarket project is accurate. To say "it should've came in the car from the start!" is to basically say "this car should've been made 10 years ago!"

That is what is fundamentally at play here. Tighter emissions requirements + a need to have more efficiency.

-alex
That's of the point of this car being an homage to the 86 with a power level unfitting for modern times. People didn't understand the appeal of the AE86 in the '80s and the cycle repeats itself today.

This car is all about homages. 86mm exhaust tip openings and 86x86 bore and stroke are geeky specs. The geek in me wouldn't mind engine spec from a 4A-GE successor. Interior is modernized from the 2000GT with the "T" symbol on its steering wheel found in repeating patterns inside and outside the FR-S:

Yamaha-tuned engine would echo 2000GT and keep it more under the halo of the (new at the time) Yamaha-tuned LFA. And yup, they'd have to modernize the engine for today's standards. 240HP was the target power IIRC for a direct injected BEAMS. But the $5k+ delta for "just" 240hp (includes cost of chassis, tires, brakes, etc. tuned for that rated power) would make Americans flee to the 370Z.

@Dimman, I see you're cherry-picking things to discredit under the guise of debate so I'm done feeding you. I'm not here to degrade the forum... you have fun with that life.

Last edited by switchlanez; 03-25-2015 at 03:23 PM.
switchlanez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to switchlanez For This Useful Post:
CxG (10-26-2015), mav1178 (03-25-2015), Tristor (12-04-2018)
Old 03-25-2015, 11:22 AM   #65
mav1178

Quote:
That's of the point of this car being an homage to the 86 with a power level unfitting for modern times. People didn't understand the appeal of the AE86 in the '80s and the cycle repeats itself today.
Yup.

Swap to another engine if you are lacking in that department. Plenty of viable options such as the one shown in this thread.

But for anyone to say that this car should've came with an old(er) engine is really just ignorant of the realities of selling a car in today's climate.

-aelx
Old 03-25-2015, 12:27 PM   #66
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I don't know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post

-alex
Any engine with a newly designed head, VVT and direct injection can be made to pass modern smog requirements.

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:14 PM   #67
mav1178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Any engine with a newly designed head, VVT and direct injection can be made to pass modern smog requirements.
Keyword: any.

You can make any engine pass emissions if you redesign it enough.

From a marketing/branding/production/cost perspective, does it make sense?

It is getting off topic from the swap but while I understand what you are saying, it needs to be considered in the context of engineering, production design, cost, and budget constraints. Saying it will pass vs it actually passing are two different things.

-alex
Old 03-25-2015, 07:38 PM   #68
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Swap all the things!
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
Dream20b (10-26-2015), shayangh (11-05-2017)
Old 03-25-2015, 07:54 PM   #69
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
Swap all the things!
Guff,

Next project for you: Turbo BEAMS in Supra setup to handle. Will knock ~100lbs off the nose of it. Like the Japan touring cars Castrol one...

Guy in Aus had one up to 340 hp crank all motor.

(Are you here because of reporting, BTW?)

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dimman For This Useful Post:
Guff (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 08:15 PM   #70
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Guff,

Next project for you: Turbo BEAMS in Supra setup to handle. Will knock ~100lbs off the nose of it. Like the Japan touring cars Castrol one...

Guy in Aus had one up to 340 hp crank all motor.

(Are you here because of reporting, BTW?)
Dude, I'd do it if I could find a cheap enough roller. Full JGTC Speed is what dreams are made of.

And no actually, I'm here because the topic is awesome, but I'm keeping a keen eye on a number of y'all too haha. Keep it civil and it's all good!

Now back to 3S stuff!
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
CxG (10-26-2015)