follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #43
ModBargains.com

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm noticing a few guys who are having issues. Please contact us directly in order to sort it out, we wont see every post on a forum all the time, so if you could please email us at cs@modbargains.com (stands for customer service), and we'll get you taken care of as long as you're still within the 1 year warranty period of course.

Just to repeat, if you have any issues with Valenti's you've ordered from us, email us please, and we'll get you taken care of
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ModBargains.com For This Useful Post:
texasbound972 (10-09-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #44
texasbound972
USMC

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6-MT Raven
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Too bad I didn't buy from you guys! Thanks again for getting my hood installed yesterday! @ModBargains
Old 02-28-2015, 04:02 PM   #45
Frank5364

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ white limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Did anyone find out if they could fix the bulb out issue?
Old 03-05-2015, 06:33 PM   #46
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank5364 View Post
Did anyone find out if they could fix the bulb out issue?
I suppose you could tear the lights apart and swap leds, but that would void warranty of course...and who knows what the inside look like haha.

I know Modbargains provides a 1 year warranty, and are kept in stock so there is no waiting if something does happen.
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:04 AM   #47
Hachiroku14

Drives: 2014 BRZ World Rally Blue
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
OK. I had just had the same 3 leds turn off like the OP posted. And since I am now past warranty I decided to investigate and it seems I found out what is causing this issue.

PROBLEM:

If you look at the back where all the wires are, you'll observe that those small black connectors are cramped/shoved inside the small hole, exactly where the leds seem to be having problems (hint!). So I believe one of those connectors is constantly hitting the part where the led is soldered on to the board (the affected led is the first led you see when looking directly in the hole) and over time, that solder will eventually come loose and cut the circuit running the other 2 leds.

SOLUTION:

1. FOR THE OTHER PAIR THAT STILL WORKS: I suggest you start getting those black connectors out of that hole ASAP!!! The wires have a bit of a slack to them so you can carefully get all 3 out of 4 connectors out. The one with the BLUE WIRE seems to be short so leave it inside. Now you can tape/clean up those connectors outside the hole and call it a day.

2. Unfortunately for the busted tailight, you may have to open it up. There maybe tutorials on the DIY thread or on youtube on how to open headlights. Same concept applies here. I would suggest the baking-in-the-oven method. As for the soldering part, youtube is also your friend.

UPDATE: If you have steady hands and is good with a soldering iron, the hole is big enough where you can just get away with heating up the connections and getting enough lead in there to attach it back to the board.

GOODLUCK!!!!!!

Last edited by Hachiroku14; 03-14-2015 at 02:28 AM.
Hachiroku14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hachiroku14 For This Useful Post:
#944_10_Series_FRS (03-14-2015), allanjeffreyy (06-25-2015), bizintine (06-09-2015), ringo16 (06-09-2015), Vincenttam (04-14-2015)
Old 06-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #48
bizintine

Drives: 2013 whiteout frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hachiroku14 View Post
OK. I had just had the same 3 leds turn off like the OP posted. And since I am now past warranty I decided to investigate and it seems I found out what is causing this issue.

PROBLEM:

If you look at the back where all the wires are, you'll observe that those small black connectors are cramped/shoved inside the small hole, exactly where the leds seem to be having problems (hint!). So I believe one of those connectors is constantly hitting the part where the led is soldered on to the board (the affected led is the first led you see when looking directly in the hole) and over time, that solder will eventually come loose and cut the circuit running the other 2 leds.

SOLUTION:

1. FOR THE OTHER PAIR THAT STILL WORKS: I suggest you start getting those black connectors out of that hole ASAP!!! The wires have a bit of a slack to them so you can carefully get all 3 out of 4 connectors out. The one with the BLUE WIRE seems to be short so leave it inside. Now you can tape/clean up those connectors outside the hole and call it a day.

2. Unfortunately for the busted tailight, you may have to open it up. There maybe tutorials on the DIY thread or on youtube on how to open headlights. Same concept applies here. I would suggest the baking-in-the-oven method. As for the soldering part, youtube is also your friend.

UPDATE: If you have steady hands and is good with a soldering iron, the hole is big enough where you can just get away with heating up the connections and getting enough lead in there to attach it back to the board.

GOODLUCK!!!!!!
Thanks for this one Hachiroku14! I got my valentis in today and I'm glad I saw this post before installing them. I followed your steps and thought I would provide a picture of what exactly your talking about.

I was able to pull out the clips for the Black/Red wire and both Black/Yellow wires. I used a small zip tie to secure them outside of the hole. As you said the clip for the Black/Blue wire is too short to pull out of the hole but hopefully it wont be banging around since it is secured to the other wires now. I just installed them so I'll update for the long haul
bizintine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizintine For This Useful Post:
ringo16 (06-09-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 12:54 PM   #49
Maylett91

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've had the same exact issue. Modbargains.com attempted to warranty my lights but since i'm one month over the warranty period, tough luck to me. Has anyone pulled their lights apart and messed with the wiring?
Maylett91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:04 PM   #50
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I believe they had a 1 year warranty which is about 9 months longer than most parts you buy anywhere (unless it's a lifetime warranty). So I wouldn't really say it was 'tough luck to me'...........it's just that your warranty expired. Looks like there may be a fix as shown above and it's something you can remedy. I had both of my Valenti's fail and had to endure a long Beach dock strike and a broken replacement light to finally resolve my problem(s) which were just under the 1 year period. Hope you can make an easy fix on it.
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:57 AM   #51
Shak20

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Fuji Red (Manual)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just thought i'd add my experience from Australia. Bought a set of taillights from CtAutoparts here in Sydney, and for a few months they were excellent, but then one of my mates pointed out issues with both left and right tailights. Each of them has a few LED's that flicker off a random intervals.

Im hoping to get in contact with the vendor soon and see if anything can be done, as i'm apparently out of the warranty period and my stock set has been sold :/
Shak20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:38 PM   #52
shodan

Drives: MY15 Toyota 86 GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shak20 View Post
Just thought i'd add my experience from Australia.
Damn... I wanted to get the red valentis with white LED from these exact guys. I had asked if they had any issues with the clear TOMs and the melting they seem to have, and they said they hadnt had any issues; didnt ask about the valentis >_<

Guess Im sticking with stock :/
shodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:44 AM   #53
Futaba

Drives: GT86
Garage
I just picked up a set of these with the same fault on one side for cheap, will be attempting to fix and posting my results here.
Futaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:47 AM   #54
LED86

Drives: Black 86 GTS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shak20 View Post
Just thought i'd add my experience from Australia. Bought a set of taillights from CtAutoparts here in Sydney, and for a few months they were excellent, but then one of my mates pointed out issues with both left and right tailights. Each of them has a few LED's that flicker off a random intervals.

Im hoping to get in contact with the vendor soon and see if anything can be done, as i'm apparently out of the warranty period and my stock set has been sold :/
What date is stamped on the back of the tail lights? Anything after like april last year was new production and shouldnt have this issue.
LED86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:30 AM   #55
bizintine

Drives: 2013 whiteout frs
Ive had mine for about a month now and I harnessed the wires as Hachiroku14 previously described before installing. So far theyre good but I will update in the future
bizintine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:40 AM   #56
Hachiroku14

Drives: 2014 BRZ World Rally Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hachiroku14 View Post

PROBLEM:

SOLUTION:

2. If you have steady hands and is good with a soldering iron, the hole is big enough where you can just get away with heating up the connections and getting enough lead in there to attach it back to the board.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
Just wanna update this. Opening the tail lights is not an option since it wont give you access to the back anyway. (found out the hard way) So the #2 option is the best way to fix the broken light. Just get the fine tip soldering iron so it would fit in that small hole where the connectors used to be.
Hachiroku14 is offline   Reply With Quote