follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Mid-Atlantic

Mid-Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA, WV

User Tag List

Old 05-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
Areddi

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Proposal for CDC FT-86 Class

Hey guys, there is talk of possibly starting a class for the twins at the local CDC events. I am copying my post from that forum over here and would like to hear everyone's thoughts:

I love the idea, and we have been kicking it around on our forum like Ed said. I have two thoughts on whether something like this should be exclusive, or open to additional cars:

Thought 1: It should be open to all cars of a similar type, using CS/STX as a guide-line for which cars can play, but not dead on. No-forced induction, no-AWD , street tires, anything else goes.

Thought 2: Keep it only FT-86 twins. I am leaning more in this direction. We have a healthy competition on our forum, and many new guys who are learning. The usual candidates take the top time every week at CDC, and even with indexing, still stomp everyone else. This is not a problem, but it would be cool to have a place to play and compare ourselves without having to worry about Cobras, fully prepped Miatas, and STI's, which are going to stomp us anyway. Similar to small bore, where those guys can compete against each other and still look at the top people, but not feel like they have nothing to compete for.

I would suggest:
Cars allowed: FT-86 twins (FR-S and BRZ) [If other cars are considered similar type of cars, front engine, RWD, no roadsters(must have a "back-seat"); examples: RX-8, Genesis Coupe, others of similar weight/power/drive configuration]
Forced Induction: Not allowed(unless factory if other cars are considered: i.e. 2.0T Gen Coupe, rumored smaller Nissan Z that would likely fit in here [Trying to be future-minded])
Tires: Street Tires only
Suspension: Anything goes

Would run similar to small-bore, where it is another box to check on the reg form, so it doesn't hurt anyone not playing in it, and also does not affect overall club points. Would be a self-contained thing to give another group of people a place to compete.

I am leaning toward restricting it to only Twins, but I would like to hear an argument for other cars if someone has thoughts on that? Also thoughts on my proposal?
Old 05-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
nataku
Negative Mass

Drives: Orange Metallic AVO Turbo GT86 6MT
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
I like thought 2, though I may end up with FI eventually which would knock me out of our category
nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
kanundrum

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 3,016 Times in 1,711 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I like the ideas but looking at points indexing would it really make a difference? All it would be is just a group thats really about it kind of like the small bore series?

I guess it would help us when it came to internal tracking but even with the results it wouldn't be any different.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
Areddi

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanundrum View Post
I like the ideas but looking at points indexing would it really make a difference? All it would be is just a group thats really about it kind of like the small bore series?

I guess it would help us when it came to internal tracking but even with the results it wouldn't be any different.
Correct, CDC doesn't and shouldn't have a special class system, they just do indexing. Like you said, this is just for internal tracking, and theoretically, there could be a champion who gets a trophy, etc. It's more just to give us something fun to compare.

The real question is how do you guys feel about the prospect of other cars playing with us, and the proposed rules.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
kanundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areddi View Post
Correct, CDC doesn't and shouldn't have a special class system, they just do indexing. Like you said, this is just for internal tracking, and theoretically, there could be a champion who gets a trophy, etc. It's more just to give us something fun to compare.

The real question is how do you guys feel about the prospect of other cars playing with us, and the proposed rules.
Other Cars?

Bring it!
Old 05-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
kanundrum

Could call it the FOB Series, FRS Other Cars like the FRS and BRZs

haha (FOB standing for fresh off the boat could technically be FRS/BRZ's as well cause they do come from japan!)
Old 05-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
johhnc479

Drives: White FRS, 2011 Cayman, 1986 944
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Not that I can fit more that the PCA autox's into my schedule, but I like it. I'd stick with just FRS/BRZ.
johhnc479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Couldn't you just look at each of the results and see where the fastest FRS/BRZ finishes?
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
warman

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I like the idea, but I don't want to get a ton of work done to my car any time soon, and if you allow any suspension mods and any bolt-on, it's going to force us to spend a lot of money in order to stay competitive. I also drive my car every day and I don't want to go too crazy and have to live with it on a regular basis.

On the other hand, not allowing any suspension mods or bolt-ons would exclude the people who have already done a few mods before we put this together.

So maybe we could create our own index that we keep track of based on the mods we have, since we'll probably have an idea of how much each mod helps.

I think there will be enough of us to keep this fun without including any additional cars.

It doesn't really matter to me either way though, I do it for fun more than anything. It would definitely be fun to try to monitor our progress against guys like Fred who has been AutoX'ing for years, though.
warman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #10
johhnc479

Drives: White FRS, 2011 Cayman, 1986 944
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by warman View Post
I like the idea, but I don't want to get a ton of work done to my car any time soon, and if you allow any suspension mods and any bolt-on, it's going to force us to spend a lot of money in order to stay competitive. I also drive my car every day and I don't want to go too crazy and have to live with it on a regular basis.
You youngins' crack me up. I little "side competition" at local autox club = "force us to spend".
johhnc479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #11
kanundrum

As Fred demonstrated! Times are about driving not mods! Get that smooth line that doesn't upset the suspension and keeps your momentum and crap you will be great!
Old 05-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #12
warman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanundrum View Post
As Fred demonstrated! Times are about driving not mods! Get that smooth line that doesn't upset the suspension and keeps your momentum and crap you will be great!
I agree with that, but, the whole point of AutoX is to have fun and learn how to be a better driver. It's easier to gauge your progress against the better drivers if they have a similar setup.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #13
warman

Quote:
Originally Posted by johhnc479 View Post
You youngins' crack me up. I little "side competition" at local autox club = "force us to spend".
Haha, I'm just trying to curb my desire to throw away the money I've saved to fix up my house.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #14
Pure Automotive

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Thanked 1,952 Times in 650 Posts
Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Forced Induction: Not allowed

Pure Automotive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pure Automotive For This Useful Post:
Areddi (05-08-2013), kanundrum (05-08-2013), nataku (05-08-2013)