follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-28-2018, 09:21 PM   #15
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Don't jerk the steering wheel. Use a light touch. Just think about where you want to go and the car will go there.

If you want to deaden the steering a little, swap to wide rims with sticky tires. My 9.5" rims take a LOT off the steering response.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:45 PM   #16
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbean View Post
I love how you say "cheap" sports as if the steering is bad. Literally the most liked thing about the twins is the steering response and feel.
Because it is a cheap sports car.
Why pretend mini vans cant beat it and Miatas are always the answer.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
Adam_L (04-30-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 11:01 AM   #17
Greenbean

Drives: 2017 series yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Because it is a cheap sports car.
Why pretend mini vans cant beat it and Miatas are always the answer.
Because its cheap doesn't make the steering bad is what i was getting at because the steering in this car is compared to very expensive vehicles and if a minivan is beating you then it sounds like driver mod.
Greenbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 02:15 PM   #18
Brz_racer

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Could be a control arm problem, although the mileage is pretty low. However if everything else with the steering system looks good I'd take a look at the control arms. See if there is any play in them.
Brz_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:18 PM   #19
Mr.ac

Quote:
Because its cheap doesn't make the steering bad is what i was getting at because the steering in this car is compared to very expensive vehicles and if a minivan is beating you then it sounds like driver mod.
Wow so much denial. Let me guess you came from either a Honda or the 240 crowd. Most likely the Honda crowd.

And compared to expensive cars? Really you walked right into that one/set your self right up. So I'm not even going to touch just because I'm being nice.
And yes any mini van can beat the 86. Simple math boy. It's been proven YouTube it or get you moms van and have your buddy drive your car.

The fandom always seems to blind people of what this cars limits are. It's been the same Honda fandom I seen since the 90's.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:37 PM   #20
Greenbean

Quote:
Wow so much denial. Let me guess you came from either a Honda or the 240 crowd. Most likely the Honda crowd.

And compared to expensive cars? Really you walked right into that one/set your self right up. So I'm not even going to touch just because I'm being nice.
And yes any mini van can beat the 86. Simple math boy. It's been proven YouTube it or get you moms van and have your buddy drive your car.

The fandom always seems to blind people of what this cars limits are. It's been the same Honda fandom I seen since the 90's.
Never owned a honda. Actually I come from race cars (oval) and tons of muscle cars but also drove an 04 STi. Sounds like you like nothing about the BRZ and 86 and should sell it but the steering response is amazing and it seems anyone who finds it to sensitive probably just sucks at driving.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:25 PM   #21
Mr.ac

Quote:
Never owned a honda. Actually I come from race cars (oval) and tons of muscle cars but also drove an 04 STi. Sounds like you like nothing about the BRZ and 86 and should sell it but the steering response is amazing and it seems anyone who finds it to sensitive probably just sucks at driving.
Hum. I guess you forgot to read the part of my siggy that I track my '91 MR2
So anyone that's ever driven or heard about it should know the talent/luck it comes driving that beast.
Oh and everything is better in my MR2 especially the steering. So there you go. If you don't know drive one.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:29 PM   #22
Greenbean

Quote:
Hum. I guess you forgot to read the part of my siggy that I track my '91 MR2
So anyone that's ever driven or heard about it should know the talent/luck it comes driving that beast.
Oh and everything is better in my MR2 especially the steering. So there you go. If you don't know drive one.
exactly "luck" and I never said the MR2 steering was better or worse. All I said was the BRZ steering is nice and people who find it bad probably suck at driving. Every car can be controllable and become easier to drive once it has a proper setup.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:17 PM   #23
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
if your new to this cheap sports car then it gets some getting used to.

False statement. The 86 platform has one of the best steering feels there are. Not sure how you came up with that.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
bkharmony (04-30-2018), Greenbean (04-29-2018), tomm.brz (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 07:59 PM   #24
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

Nice myth perpetuation. One Pacifica that beats a poorly driven auto does not mean any can. Even then I would expect a $40K performance version of a Pacifica to do well.
Please point out all the minivans that have this amazing performance.
Attached Images

bkharmony (04-30-2018), Brink (04-29-2018), Brooklyn (05-10-2018), extrashaky (04-29-2018), Ganthrithor (05-01-2018), Greenbean (04-29-2018), HKz (04-30-2018), Jegan_V (04-29-2018), rvoll (04-29-2018), Side (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 08:23 PM   #25
Greenbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
False statement. The 86 platform has one of the best steering feels there are. Not sure how you came up with that.
I said the same thing but he says otherwise.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:47 PM   #26
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Nice myth perpetuation. One Pacifica that beats a poorly driven auto does not mean any can. Even then I would expect a $40K performance version of a Pacifica to do well.
This points out a couple of things. First, the Pacifica is fairly fast for a minivan. The main reason for this is the 9 speed modern automatic transmission. The BRZ auto is not a great transmission. And since performance oriented BRZ/86 buyers would never opt for an automatic, there really doesn't exist a marketing reason to put a lot of money behind an update. Lastly, the auto can do better if you do the shifting yourself to keep the revs high. It should also be noted that the auto has less hp and torque and taller gearing.

It should be noted that I have an automatic and love it. I don't drag race it and the extra mpg is helpful on trips. My wife didn't like the "jerkiness" of the manual, and that was my compromise for buying the car (so sue me). Most of the higher end sports cars have moved to DCT type automatic transmissions and don't even offer manuals anymore. I've driven PDK's, and they are far better and faster than manuals. The only point here is that the auto trans is a real weak point.

If you want to win a drag race, get a Hellcat. Perhaps that MrAC fellow should buy a Pacifica and boast about his 0-60 times there!!!!! Compared to all other minivans, he'd be a winner. After all, minivans are purchased because of their high end performance. Right?
rvoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:17 PM   #27
Mr.ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I see what you did there. Sly dog.
Let me rephrase that, any modern mini van. In the last 5-6 years. Given there was only 2 '17's and numbers where impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
I track a freaking MR2 Turbo. Heard of it? Coming from that yes it actually has better steering than the 86.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:54 PM   #28
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Quote:
Let me rephrase that, any modern mini van. In the last 5-6 years. Given there was only 2 '17's and numbers where impressive.

I track a freaking MR2 Turbo. Heard of it? Coming from that yes it actually has better steering than the 86.
So when are you trading in your BRZ for a Pacifica? You have a great handling car in your MR2 Turbo. Now you need a Pacifica for the drag strip....
rvoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rvoll For This Useful Post:
Brink (04-30-2018), Greenbean (04-30-2018), HKz (04-30-2018)