follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 01-06-2018, 03:09 PM   #15
jmark

Drives: '97 NSX-T, '18 Type R
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
PDR
jmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:24 PM   #16
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmark View Post
PDR
Good suggestion.

I'd also suggest you wait till you get at least three dents ..... that way you will get a quantity discount.

Also. if you wait till you get at least three dents ...... there is a good chance you just won't notice them anymore .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-06-2018)
Old 04-28-2019, 10:53 PM   #17
frsbemore

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Why wait? Just get it fixed and no more dents!
frsbemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:53 AM   #18
evoto86

Drives: manual Toyota 86
Lucky I work at a vehicle auction house and we have PDR people come in all the time if some jack ass opens their door on my car I usually pay about $100 to remove the ding, I was getting out of my car the other week I opened my door first and the lady not even looking opened her door just as I was stepping out the car.. the annoying thing I knew she was not going to look and just open her door so im mentally kicking myself .I was in a hurry and didn't even bother so just gave her a look that basically said WTF and walked off, came back to the car she gave me a nice dent.
evoto86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:16 AM   #19
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
4 years in now and not a ding yet from any idiots. My last new car had both sides dinged in the first week so this one I am trying a little harder to keep them away.
I will only park next to nice/new cars if I am forced to park in the middle of cars and that is probably 90% of keeping it no dents. If you park next to dented up car,
most likely they don't care if another one happens. If the spot is tight even with new/nice cars on both sides, then I will not use it at all and keep looking.
If possible, I don't park next to 2 door cars since they'll open wider than 4 doors. Sliding van doors are safest of course. Koenigseggs are a safe bet too.
As much as possible, I''ll park at the end of the line so I'm the last car and then I'll make sure I'm all the way as far in the spot from the car next to me or that would
park there if somebody pulled in. A huge help is always park next to at least one open spot if you are forced to park in a bust parking lot and make sure that you are
a little closer to the open spots side. That way if somebody actually does use that spot and manages to still ding you, then you are more likely to catch them since they
parked after you did. The space next to a van handicap spot is most prime since that extra area they get makes it impossible to even get close to you.
It might seem a little tedious but I am dent/ding free because of all the precautions I take and it's nice having something look like it just rolled off the lot still all this time.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
Busybee (07-05-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 01:46 AM   #20
dhuang
Cannonball Record Guy

Drives: Series.Yellow, 4C, Fit
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
4 years in now and not a ding yet from any idiots...
It might seem a little tedious but I am dent/ding free because of all the precautions I take and it's nice having something look like it just rolled off the lot still all this time.
You must be very lucky indeed.

Most of my dings happen when I'm making an effort to stay away from people.

One time I parked (in a corner spot too) across the street at an empty bank to go to Sunday brunch. Absolutely no one in the lot with me... come back to find a ML-class AMG SUV parked way too close next to me. Found a door ding on that side later under the right lighting.

Shortly after I got the Series.Yellow, I parked on the opposite end of a parking lot, and make the pilgrimage across the lot to the restaurant. Come back to find a door ding with no idea who did it -- I was still on paper plates too!

VINwiki - Changing Automotive History
dhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dhuang For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-10-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 08:41 PM   #21
Muskoka800

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Release Series 2#439
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Noticed one in a similar spot Monday
Cheeses me off. I park far from the a-holes .
Drives my wife crazy having to walk from timbuckto to the mall entrance
Muskoka800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:39 PM   #22
BRZ Guy

Drives: 2018 BRZ
I used PDR two times now and was/ am beyond impressed as I thought for sure I’d need body repair.

Not a trace left afterwards, no joke.

Good luck. I also choose my parking spots wisely.
BRZ Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:12 PM   #23
evoto86

Drives: manual Toyota 86
This is why I park as far away from people as possible and even though the GF might complain of the extra walking distance if it saves you money in PDR repairs its worth it. My 2016 has received 3 dints so far I repaired one and then a few weeks later I got another people are just really careless, you have to remember not everyone is a car enthusiast most people that own a twin are moderate to hardcore enthusiasts we are paranoid of parking under a tree, before we park on a busy road we inspect the road for noticeable rock and debris that might be kicked up on our car. majority of people just use their car as a appliance. I sometimes have to inspect end of lease cars for my job and the amount of cars that are handed back damaged and the client is shocked he/she has a bill for thousands of dollars worth of panel repairs is amazing. People park their vehicle under a tree year after year and let bird shit on their bonnet and roof, the car comes back with acid stains that no amount of polishing will remove, the panel is basically F%$#D and requires a re-spray this is the type of negligence I have to deal with.
evoto86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 03:59 AM   #24
Alastor

Drives: Toyota gt86 my19
I thought that only happened in my country, Spain where the education of people towards other people's things is to have no mercy or care.

I understand you perfectly, we can all say that we have had some moments like that.

I am one of those who prefers to walk 2-5 more minutes leaving the car parked than having it nearby and when returning to have a dislike.

There was a moment with my previous car that I parked in a crowded place and at that moment parked another car next to it, I got out of the car and saw that it was a car with little care and punches. when the passenger was going to leave I was watching to not hit the side of my car, because ibs so determined that I had to stop the door when he has little to touch my car, so he got angry as he said he had hurt , And my car to fuck him? this is Spain.

I'm sorry but for these cases I use the Google translator.
Alastor is offline   Reply With Quote