follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #141
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueno86power View Post
@GrimmSpeed, you're right, it clear up the oil sensor when ajusted. I've reajust the air box and now it got at least 1cm of space ! So It's pretty much perfect now

And yeah I was talking to one of your sales guy ! I wanted to be sure this intake meet my satisfaction and it did !

Thanks again
pics?

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:02 PM   #142
lbejosano

Drives: 2014 Firestorm Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
@GrimmSpeed Any hunches as to how much more/less effective this intake will be to the slight changes in the MY17 BRZ motor?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
lbejosano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:56 PM   #143
GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbejosano View Post
@GrimmSpeed Any hunches as to how much more/less effective this intake will be to the slight changes in the MY17 BRZ motor?
That's a good question, and I've been thinking about what they're going to do with that engine lately. The change in output is not major at all, something like a 7% increase in the torque dip, and just a couple extra ponies up top (and this is projected to ONLY be on manual cars too, which seems extra strange to me).

So the differences between the engines look to be fairly minor. I'm wondering what they're doing with the intake manifold myself. A change in runner length, diameter, plenum volume, what is it? I think I read about a change in cams. I havent seen anything about a header change, which leads me to believe the torque dip is lessened as a result of the intake manifold changes. But that's entirely theory.

One of the things I immediately notice is that the taper on the back edge of the airbox is now gone. This will make fitting oil coolers with sandwich plates much more difficult on stock airbox. Nothing else seems changed, and injection molding tooling is expensive, so why did they make this change?

The "accordion tube" for the inlet is new, but seems largely unchanged as well.

So with those two very small pieces of evidence it would lead me to believe that our intake will perform just as well on that engine, since largely it appears unchanged, same MAF sensor and everything.

But from a pure theory standpoint I think it's easy to assume that our intake will perform just as well given that it provides a solid decrease in restriction. And unless they've managed to do that somewhere in their seemingly unchanged intake system, I don't see why it would perform any differently.

So time will tell, but a decrease in restriction is a decrease in restriction, and is the reason our intake makes more power over the stock intake system. I don't anticipate it'll make more power, but I do not suspect it will be less either.

Chase
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
lbejosano (09-17-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 05:58 PM   #144
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
"Accordion tube" was there also for TRD intake. I wonder if there are any gains for such?
It probably adds some turbulence to flow .. but what are benefits of that? :/
Find it hard to believe for that to be made this way just and only for extra flexibility for intake.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:21 AM   #145
Shadowsfury

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS w/ Aero kit, Blac
So I'm looking at purchasing this CAI, but I had a question for those of you who already have it.

How loud is it compared to stock INSIDE the car?

I seem to be in the minority and really like the sound tube into the cabin, so much so that I took out all the foam inside of the tube to make it even louder in the cabin.

However, pretty much all aftermarket CAIs no longer use the sound tube. Which is fine for outside the car which I'm sure will sound great, but I'd like to at least maintain the level of sound I get in the cabin, if not increase it.

Thanks
Shadowsfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:19 AM   #146
cameronjones239

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series Blue
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
You only hear it if you're getting on the throttle, bit of a growl, regular cruising you won't really notice it. I am happy with mine, have had it a little over a year now.
cameronjones239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:49 AM   #147
Shadowsfury

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS w/ Aero kit, Blac
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronjones239 View Post
You only hear it if you're getting on the throttle, bit of a growl, regular cruising you won't really notice it. I am happy with mine, have had it a little over a year now.
Yeah that's no different from now - don't really hear it unless you're going past 3k rpm. Just wondering if it can be heard nicely in the cabin really.
Shadowsfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:34 PM   #148
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post
That's a good question, and I've been thinking about what they're going to do with that engine lately. The change in output is not major at all, something like a 7% increase in the torque dip, and just a couple extra ponies up top (and this is projected to ONLY be on manual cars too, which seems extra strange to me).

So the differences between the engines look to be fairly minor. I'm wondering what they're doing with the intake manifold myself. A change in runner length, diameter, plenum volume, what is it? I think I read about a change in cams. I havent seen anything about a header change, which leads me to believe the torque dip is lessened as a result of the intake manifold changes. But that's entirely theory.

Chase
Engineering
Here's some of the differences.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:34 AM   #149
Grim-Reaper

Drives: GT86 '13 AT, Supra 3.0i Turbo' 91
Is it just marketing wise or does anything like the new header of the MY17 interfere with the AT?

Gesendet von meinem LG-H850 mit Tapatalk
Grim-Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:51 PM   #150
XtremeMaC

Drives: Asphalt Grey FR-S
@Andrew025
at this point I'm very interested to find out where you grabbed those screenshots from. First time I see a colored and so detailed info from Subaru.
Is it like Subaru's TIS?
Old 04-18-2017, 06:46 PM   #151
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeMaC View Post
@Andrew025
at this point I'm very interested to find out where you grabbed those screenshots from. First time I see a colored and so detailed info from Subaru.
Is it like Subaru's TIS?
Pdfs found here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107635

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
Andrew025 (04-19-2017), XtremeMaC (04-19-2017)
Old 08-10-2018, 04:31 PM   #152
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Where to buy this CAI in Europe? Is it possible to replace filter with a dry one? May I fit an oil sandwich plate under the filter for cooling?
Thanks!
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:24 PM   #153
re-animator

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsfury View Post
So I'm looking at purchasing this CAI, but I had a question for those of you who already have it.

How loud is it compared to stock INSIDE the car?

I seem to be in the minority and really like the sound tube into the cabin, so much so that I took out all the foam inside of the tube to make it even louder in the cabin.

However, pretty much all aftermarket CAIs no longer use the sound tube. Which is fine for outside the car which I'm sure will sound great, but I'd like to at least maintain the level of sound I get in the cabin, if not increase it.

Thanks
it is a little louder when you get on the throttle. if you remove the top of the airbox it sounds amazing inside the cabin, but this is not the best thing for performance or for MAF readings and AFR. tbh it was a little too mellow for me in the recommended configuration with the top on the airbox.
re-animator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:18 AM   #154
GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi View Post
Where to buy this CAI in Europe? Is it possible to replace filter with a dry one? May I fit an oil sandwich plate under the filter for cooling?
Thanks!
I'm not sure what we have for distributors in Europe, so for that information I would contact sales directly through email. They should be able to help you out, if not just order directly.

We also have a dry filter for sale, but not bundled with the intake. This could be purchased directly and swapped out.

The fitment of oil sandwich plates with the heatshield is very close with some fittings. There are a few pictures of individuals on this site who have accomplished this. I recommend using 90 degree banjo fittings on the sandwich plate to maximize fitment.

Chase
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
gpvecchi (08-13-2018)