follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
mankarn86

Drives: 2007 Altima 3.5 SE 6sp
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation Rear deck tick/pop

Guys,

Looking for some advice on the matter. I had the rear tick/pop issue resolved under warranty at the dealer. The issue has come back after one month...however now it's really random and happens once in a blue moon. I particularly notice it when I throttle out of a corner and get the chassis to flex.

Anybody have recommendations on how they resovled this issue? I read something about a chassis ear that helps. Is it worth chasing the issue down? At this point my car has problem been torn apart many times - which I know can lead to more rattles.

I was thinking of maybe just living with the issue for now until I dynamat the rear trunk area...but I hate covering up problems.
mankarn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #2
Books

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S (MT)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Have you tried using WD40?
Old 07-08-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
mankarn86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Books View Post
Have you tried using WD40?
I tried to myself and the issue didn't go away. I think mine was more major and required separation of panels to stop the ticking.
It's at the dealer now...there is a Canadian TSB on the matter and they are performing that regardless.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Garage
Try putting the rear seat down and see if the noise still happens. If it stops, then it might be this.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sigh-on-Rice For This Useful Post:
mankarn86 (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #5
mankarn86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigh-on-Rice View Post
Try putting the rear seat down and see if the noise still happens. If it stops, then it might be this.
Ya I'll have to try this. The only thing is the sound is not a single pop/click sometimes its pop pop click tick etc.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #6
FiRStsc10n
Canadian FR-S Member

Drives: FR-S '10 Series'
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
The dealer may have followed the TSB for rear deck pop but didn't crack a weld spot enough or get all of it so you still are left with part of the issue. Or not enough grease was used.
FiRStsc10n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:37 AM   #7
HRTROB

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I still had the popping/clicking in the rear even after doing the TSB fix. It would stop popping if the rear seats are folded down. It turned out to be the rear seat. This fix worked for me: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=30

Lower rear seat then slowly position it near closed and use your fingers to feel underneath if the gap is even. I used the "flaps" on the rear of the seatback to gauge the space. The flap on the driver side of mine was touching the rear latch while the passenger side was not, meaning the seatback was uneven. I just loosened the 12mm bolt in the photo shown in the link, pulled the seat forward, then retightened. Problem solved, easiest fix ever.
HRTROB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HRTROB For This Useful Post:
mankarn86 (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 03:25 AM   #8
gzpermadi

Drives: Toyota 86 Silver
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
First you need to make sure that the rattle is really coming from the rear deck.
I suggest you ask someone who is small enough to sit at the back and try to listen where the rattle comes from. It might be not from the rear deck.

There is separate thread in issues/Warranty/Recall section about this.
gzpermadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #9
mankarn86

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzpermadi View Post
First you need to make sure that the rattle is really coming from the rear deck.
I suggest you ask someone who is small enough to sit at the back and try to listen where the rattle comes from. It might be not from the rear deck.

There is separate thread in issues/Warranty/Recall section about this.

I'm assuming it is because the sound it's making is the same as before where the fixed my rear deck and it went away for a month. It's a pretty distinct sound but I could be wrong.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:06 PM   #10
mankarn86

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTROB View Post
I still had the popping/clicking in the rear even after doing the TSB fix. It would stop popping if the rear seats are folded down. It turned out to be the rear seat. This fix worked for me: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=30

Lower rear seat then slowly position it near closed and use your fingers to feel underneath if the gap is even. I used the "flaps" on the rear of the seatback to gauge the space. The flap on the driver side of mine was touching the rear latch while the passenger side was not, meaning the seatback was uneven. I just loosened the 12mm bolt in the photo shown in the link, pulled the seat forward, then retightened. Problem solved, easiest fix ever.
Hey so i checked my setback and eureka the flap is touching on one side and not the other...the setback is definitely installed unevenly.

Here's the tricky part to me though...when i dropped the seats I actually heard more noise but it sounded different. Is this normal?...I imagine the seats up adds some rigidity vs them down.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #11
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankarn86 View Post
when i dropped the seats I actually heard more noise but it sounded different.
This makes me think that the noise actually is coming from the rear deck. When my rear deck was making noise, the noise got louder and sounded different when I put the rear seat down. I think what FiRStsc10n said is true for your case.

I would try to get as much spots as possible from inside of the trunk and see if that gets rid of the noise. Kind of like this.

If that doesn't get rid of the noise, then either you or the dealer is to remove the rear deck cover and get the rest of the spots from the top. Like this one.
mankarn86 (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 09:46 PM   #12
mankarn86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigh-on-Rice View Post
This makes me think that the noise actually is coming from the rear deck. When my rear deck was making noise, the noise got louder and sounded different when I put the rear seat down. I think what FiRStsc10n said is true for your case.

I would try to get as much spots as possible from inside of the trunk and see if that gets rid of the noise. Kind of like this.

If that doesn't get rid of the noise, then either you or the dealer is to remove the rear deck cover and get the rest of the spots from the top. Like this one.
So i went for a drive and I still hear ticking...so I think you are right. Did you crack the welds yourself? Dealer has visited the issue twice and I doubt they cracked every weld...it sounds like guys have cracked 50+ welds on their own.
How do you know which welds to crack? All of them? lol.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:59 PM   #13
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Garage
Quote:
So i went for a drive and I still hear ticking...so I think you are right. Did you crack the welds yourself? Dealer has visited the issue twice and I doubt they cracked every weld...it sounds like guys have cracked 50+ welds on their own.
How do you know which welds to crack? All of them? lol.
If they already had tried 50+ spots instead of just the 2 spots shown in the TSB, then I wouldn't try it on my own. I would bring it to them one more time and see what they say.

I was lucky that mine had only one spot that was making noise, which is here:

When I pressed the red circled spot with my thumb, it made the cracking sound. I just sprayed some WD-40 as shown in the picture. The noise didn't come back since then and it's almost 2 years now.
mankarn86 (07-10-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 10:08 PM   #14
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Rear deck tick/pop
Tick/Pop - A new drama from Ryan Murphy (creator of Nip/Tuck, Glee and American Horror Story), starring Sarah Paulson and Joseph Fiennes, and also featuring Jessica Lange as the crusty chainsmoking Subaru mechanic. See it this fall on FX!
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
mankarn86 (07-10-2014)