follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > New England

New England MA, ME, NH, RI, VT

User Tag List

Old 11-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #29
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I usually read T day to T day. Thanksgiving to Tax day (april 15).

I usually start watching the forecast november and put them on when the first snow is forecast. Take them off begin of april. I'm in NY so may not apply to canadians and lake dwellers.
ZionsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #30
deadwolfbones

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Argento)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My father in law is absolutely convinced you can put snow tires on just the rears of any RWD car. I keep telling him he's nuts and any performance car needs all four winter shoes. Is he wrong, or am I?
deadwolfbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #31
Gary in NJ

Drives: WR Blue BRZ, 240Z
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
For those of you waiting to put your winter tires on, you're doing it all wrong.

Summer tires are designed to operate in temperatures above 40-45F. Below that temperature the rubber compound that makes these tires so wonderful in warm temperatures makes them "less then optimal" in near freezing temperatures and down-right dangerous in sub-freezing temperatures.

Yes, winter tires are designed to give superior handling on snow and ice, but the rubber compounds used in these tires also provide superior handling to Summer and even All Season ties below 45F.

So this time of year, why in the world are your winter tires in your basement or garage? Put 'em on the damn car where they belong.

Gary in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary in NJ For This Useful Post:
Mister (11-22-2013)
Old 11-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #32
avp1

Drives: Traded BRZ for Supra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznBRZer View Post
Bought my OEM TPMS on ebay for $86 shipped. Should be getting them by Friday. Town Fair isn't so bad by me, so I'll probably hit them up. The difference between ordering from TireRack and Town Fair is maybe $50 because of tax, so I figure I'll save myself the hassle of having to move things around. Hopefully I'll have the snows on this Sat.
When you swap wheels, do not forget to RECORD old sensors IDs from computer. You will need them when you put back summer wheels. I didn't do it, and it costed me a trip to dealer and $50 (even though I have programmer). There is no way to get codes of sensors without taking tires off the wheel and visually inspecting sensors. Apparently Subaru does not keep records of sensors IDs when cars leave factory, so dealer couldn't get them any other way. I was lucky dealer didn't charge me for re-balancing wheels, which he had to do, otherwise bill would be 3X higher.
avp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to avp1 For This Useful Post:
AznBRZer (11-20-2013)
Old 11-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #33
avp1

Drives: Traded BRZ for Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwolfbones View Post
My father in law is absolutely convinced you can put snow tires on just the rears of any RWD car. I keep telling him he's nuts and any performance car needs all four winter shoes. Is he wrong, or am I?
If he wants to end up in the ditch, this is almost a sure way!
avp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #34
deadwolfbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by avp1 View Post
If he wants to end up in the ditch, this is almost a sure way!
Haha, thanks.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #35
deadwolfbones

Second question:

Is the TMPS kit from Tire Rack a good deal, or should I go about that part of the winter tire equation another way?
Old 11-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #36
caradd

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
Yes, winter tires are designed to give superior handling on snow and ice, but the rubber compounds used in these tires also provide superior handling to Summer and even All Season ties below 45F.
This is marketing hype. 40F is where the summer tires and winters have about equal traction.

I have personally tested on the stock summers and my winters (Dunlop Wintersport 3D's) over the last few weeks and summer tires where fine in 40 and some 36F morning commute.

Since I bought one of these
[IMG][/IMG]

I've swap my summers and winters 4 times in the last 3 weeks. Yeah crazy I know.
caradd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to caradd For This Useful Post:
AznBRZer (11-20-2013)
Old 11-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #37
BoxRZ_86

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
i read on tire rack i think they suggest when the temperatures are consistently below 40 degrees that is when you put your snow tires on.
BoxRZ_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #38
AznBRZer

Drives: 16 CBS WRX Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avp1 View Post
When you swap wheels, do not forget to RECORD old sensors IDs from computer. You will need them when you put back summer wheels. I didn't do it, and it costed me a trip to dealer and $50 (even though I have programmer). There is no way to get codes of sensors without taking tires off the wheel and visually inspecting sensors. Apparently Subaru does not keep records of sensors IDs when cars leave factory, so dealer couldn't get them any other way. I was lucky dealer didn't charge me for re-balancing wheels, which he had to do, otherwise bill would be 3X higher.
Thanks for the tip!!! I'll make sure I get a copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwolfbones View Post
Second question:

Is the TMPS kit from Tire Rack a good deal, or should I go about that part of the winter tire equation another way?
For $215, I could buy 2 full sets of used ones and still have money leftover when they konk out at which point I'd probably get new winter rubber anyways. The only advantage to Tire Rack is that they'll ship everything mounted an balanced, which doesn't mean that much if there's a local shop that's willing to match their prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradd View Post
This is marketing hype. 40F is where the summer tires and winters have about equal traction.

I have personally tested on the stock summers and my winters (Dunlop Wintersport 3D's) over the last few weeks and summer tires where fine in 40 and some 36F morning commute.

I've swap my summers and winters 4 times in the last 3 weeks. Yeah crazy I know.
I've had commutes at 30F with no problem as well, but I also don't drive like an asshole. Looks like you don't either!
AznBRZer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #39
shaunsweeney

Drives: 2014 FR-S MT Asphalt Grey
Garage
No need for winter tires until temps are continuously below 40 degrees as previously stated. The tires on our cars are not summer only tires.

TPMS are not needed on a set of winter wheels/tires, if you can deal with the light. In MA there is no law requiring them and you cannot be failed at inspection for it. Save yourself the money for other useful things. I suggest a quality air pressure gauge which should be used frequently as opposed to relying on a sensor.
shaunsweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #40
jshadeck

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout 6MT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunsweeney View Post
No need for winter tires until temps are continuously below 40 degrees as previously stated. The tires on our cars are not summer only tires.

TPMS are not needed on a set of winter wheels/tires, if you can deal with the light. In MA there is no law requiring them and you cannot be failed at inspection for it. Save yourself the money for other useful things. I suggest a quality air pressure gauge which should be used frequently as opposed to relying on a sensor.
The tires on alot of our cars are summer only. Most of the people if not all on this thread are not running the stock tires.. Or, like me, are referring to the stock tires AS the snow tires
Old 11-20-2013, 11:54 PM   #41
shaunsweeney

Drives: 2014 FR-S MT Asphalt Grey
Garage
Good point. I still have stock tires and wheels.
shaunsweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:08 AM   #42
deadwolfbones

I was under the impression that most shops won't install non-OEM tires without TPMS installed. Is that incorrect?