follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 02-09-2019, 02:47 PM   #1
redlined600

Drives: Fr-s
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Android based stereo vs. stereo w/ Android auto

I'm thinking of buying a new radio for my truck that can incorporate a backup camera.

My priorities in order are
-back up cam
-ease of use (I don't have time or energy for endless setup, or patience for it not working)
-pretty much everything else.
- not having to plug in my phone would be nice.

I'm mildly familiar with both concepts but would like to hear from those that have actually used them, if you've used both even better.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2019, 06:24 PM   #2
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Go to your local car audio store(s). Talk to the dude there.
New stereos have all you want as entry level units.
Expect starting prices around $200.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:35 AM   #3
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I chose an Android Auto unit (Pioneer AVH-2330NEX) and for my intents and purposes it is a better choice than an Android based unit. I wanted a head unit that sounds better than the factory unit and that would smoothly run Google maps and integrate well with popular music apps like Pandora and this head unit fits the bill. I just plug in the USB cable and Android Auto automatically loads and keeps my phone charged. If you are dead set on no cables, there are head units that can use AA over WiFi... but keep in mind that without a cable connected your phone battery can drain pretty fast when you are running a wifi connection, streaming music and using GPS with Google Maps. Most any double din head unit with an LCD display will work with a backup camera.
An Android based head unit will generally be less expensive and have more versatility since it is basically an Android tablet and you can run most any app that you can download from the google play store. However, many Android units are running outdated versions of Android with subpar hardware and no real promise that they will ever update the firmware. With Android Auto, there are frequent updates made by Google and easily updated on your phone. You also have to tether your phone as a hotspot to Android based units for much of the functionality to work... depending on your cell phone plan, tethering may not be permitted or may be limited in speed or data allowance.
As mentioned though... go to your local car stereo shop and ask questions and check out the head units on display. There are A LOT of options out there and you need to truly understand what you are getting into.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:21 AM   #4
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,452 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Wireless Andriod Auto/Carplay Head units
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:49 AM   #5
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlined600 View Post
I'm thinking of buying a new radio for my truck that can incorporate a backup camera.

My priorities in order are
-back up cam
-ease of use (I don't have time or energy for endless setup, or patience for it not working)
-pretty much everything else.
- not having to plug in my phone would be nice.

I'm mildly familiar with both concepts but would like to hear from those that have actually used them, if you've used both even better.

Thanks

Go with the android auto HU, my 2019 cx5 came with it OEM, and I have a JVC head unit in my FR-S now with it. Super smooth and easy to use with little setup time on your phone, just install android auto and go. For my aftermarket JVC I can do it wirelessly as well, the mazda requires it to be plugged in. IMHO, keeping it plugged in is better, you can keep your phone topped off as you use waze and spotify or whatever you use. Also saying "ok google do xxxxxx" is so easy now and does everything I would need better than any factory unit voice recognition.

I suggest using crutchfield to make it as painless as possible:

https://www.crutchfield.com

It's definitely NOT worth having an android OS head unit now. What you get for the cheap price of what's basically a mid to low level android tablet is not worth it. All the functions are pretty much surpassed with android auto now, minus weird obd2 apps and such. However that can easily change as android auto gets constant updates and additions. Plus most flagship phones are better spec wise than any android HU now which is and also get constant updates. You also don't have to worry about getting a sim card separately or tethering internet connections with an android auto hu as well.I've had friends with cars with android HU from china and they have a abysmal boot time or they have to flash another rom on it to get functions, and honestly on cars I just want something that works right out of the box and android auto does that.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #6
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I've used Android Auto with an Audi and a Jaguar. They're both shit, which makes me think that AA is shit. I'd just get a backup camera capable stereo and skip the whole connected garbage.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:22 PM   #7
NCtoBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
I've used Android Auto with an Audi and a Jaguar. They're both shit, which makes me think that AA is shit. I'd just get a backup camera capable stereo and skip the whole connected garbage.
What a helpful, detailed reply... what was so “shit” about AA in these vehicles? There are many, many people that would disagree and love AA. I’ve had vehicles with both factory and aftermarket AA head units and gladly use it on every drive.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:43 PM   #8
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post
What a helpful, detailed reply... what was so “shit” about AA in these vehicles? There are many, many people that would disagree and love AA. I’ve had vehicles with both factory and aftermarket AA head units and gladly use it on every drive.
Wow, that's a bit sensitive over stereo tech.

It's shit, utter fucking shit, because it locks your phone down. Song selection is a pain in the ass. Car controls are terrible for navigating contacts. Switching between the car's controls and phone's is a pain in the ass. Shall I go on about why AA is SHIT?
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:32 PM   #9
NCtoBRZ

Quote:

It's shit, utter fucking shit, because it locks your phone down. Song selection is a pain in the ass. Car controls are terrible for navigating contacts. Switching between the car's controls and phone's is a pain in the ass. Shall I go on about why AA is SHIT?
Your reply was pretty useless to the OP because you gave no reasoning behind it, that’s not a matter of sensitivity... it’s a matter of giving useful replies. I’m not sure when you last used AA, but you can access your phone while using since early 2018. You can either unlock your phone or simply use voice to select contacts through AA.
So sure... go on about how AA is “SHIT”... so far the concerns that you listed are no longer valid concerns and any additional details would be more useful than the original no details that you gave.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:59 PM   #10
Dongahh

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B0792X89SH/ in my 14 BRZ. Honestly don't think I'd go back to a name brand head unit after owning this.

Did a sound mod which took all of 5 mins (only a software update and app install, then configure the amplifier settings) and it made it as good as a name brand.

Downloaded spotify and waze, all songs saved onto head unit now, don't need phone at all to use it now.

All I can say is the newer head units they're bringing out are 10x better than their previous iterations and a lot of people over on XDA would agree these head units are getting up to the standard of a name brand.
Dongahh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dongahh For This Useful Post:
Plumbus (05-28-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 11:28 PM   #11
redlined600

Drives: Fr-s
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Some good insight, thanks guys!
Old 02-22-2019, 08:37 AM   #12
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
The thing about AA is its connected, where a HU isn't without help.

Its rare I need to unlock for something, but the clumsy experience is OK since I shouldn't be doing things that intensive except at a stop... So its not really an issue. Just as bad with the iOS alternative.

An Android HU could run torque or something without having the phone up, which has its uses. I do believe you can do AA with an Android HU.

In the end I went Pioneer. MVH-2300NEX -better radio if I ever want it, better audio side in general.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:53 AM   #13
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Audi and jaguar are clearly not the proper comparison for AA. I've had 0 issues in my mazda and my JVC HU. Idk what's up with your settings but it shouldn't lock your phone down, I simply swipe up and I'm able to use my phone just fine. Also for spotify I simple say ok google play XXXX playlist or song and it works perfectly. I really don't think you used it properly.....
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
NCtoBRZ (02-24-2019)