follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 11-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Change oil before or after winter storage... or both?

I will have about 2500 miles/6 months of use by the time I keep my car garaged for the winter and will start it once a week to idle for 5 minutes. Then it'll come back out for spring at about 8 months of use. Now my dealer threw in the 3 years/36k miles of free service/maintenance. That plan recommends the first oil change service to be done at 7.5 months/7.5k miles. Should I claim the first service before or after storage or should I change oil both before and after storage?
Old 11-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I used to fret about this when putting the Lotus away for the winter. This spring, when my mileage was indicating it was due for a change, I sent a sample into Blackstone for analysis. The result? I almost got yelled at for changing the oil; I could've gone another few thousand miles based on the additive pack and TBN alone. Water and gas dilution was no concern, even after a winter of sitting a month at a time.

My advice based on the above is to wait for the mileage to be due and don't stress about the time or the winter. The only counterpoint I can think of is to change it before winter just to get rid of the break-in oil.

In the end, perhaps do it on one side of winter, but there's no good reason to do it before and after winter. When you do go to warm up the car, run it longer than 5 minutes; ideally drive it until the car is thoroughly up to temp, but if you're just idling it, give it some revs here and there until it's fully up to temp, then let it run a few minutes longer. The longer you run the car the better, as it'll give the oil the most time to warm up. Once a month is fine; just keep a battery tender on the car.

$0.02,
Ryan
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryephile For This Useful Post:
switchlanez (11-07-2012)