follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-31-2016, 09:18 AM   #1
dp1
driving smoother faster

Drives: Sold
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quieter (<93db) track muffler options for header/single hi-flow cat

I have JRSC + EL Tomei header (catless) + Invidia front pipe with one high flow cat + Invidia Q300 = well within sound limits of any track. Starting to hear a little rasp and I know that it's only a question of time until muffler packing is gone. Will keep the header/op/catted fp.

Q300 lasted 22 track (HPDE) + 8 ax days without a significant change in sound, except after initial break-in. Let's say 2hrs/track day + 1hr/ax day comes out to >50hrs of hard high rpm driving. Also 10-15k street miles. Even now, the rasp is not loud and only comes up when getting on power around 3-4k rpm, then disappears or gets overpowered by other sounds - engine, tires, wind.

Few notes:
- Larger cans such as stock or q300 help with aero.
- It's OK to save weight but not critical.
- Dual or single exit is ok but would prefer dual.
- Don't mind putting on silencers for tracks with sound restrictions if that makes them well under 93db at high rpm wot.
- Know that published db numbers may not mean much as it's all about how it's measured. I have seen cars with loud exhaust redirect the exhaust pipe slightly to stay within sound limits because of where the track measures from.
- Wouldn't mind buying another q300 every 1-2 years but would appreciate a little more character from the exhaust note, just not too loud.

Keeping an eye on the ACE muffler that's in the works, thanks @CSG Mike for heads-up.

What tail end are you using on track with aftermarket headers and at most one high flow cat that isn't too loud or that can be made quieter with silencers for tracks with sound restrictions?

Responses:
- Q300 (one of the quietest, lasted 20+ track days until it got some rasp - good cost/benefit ratio)
- TRD (not good as it blows packing fast on track)
- JDL (should work)
- Fujitsubo Authorize R (should work)
- Blitz Nur-Spec VS (should work, OP ordered this to try next)
- Perring 2.5 resonated (should work, louder than Q300)
- ACE (should work, baffled/not muffled, in development)
- Other?

Last edited by dp1; 06-11-2016 at 10:14 AM. Reason: updated with responses to date
dp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:37 AM   #2
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I changed my catback for the same reason, and gave a TRD a shot because it was cheap (used) and in good shape (previous owner had a stock car and babied the car a lot, no track time).

At first the car was very quiet, I would say around the 90db. I did feel a slight loss in power, probably due to the fact that the car was tuned with a 2.5" full exhaust and now it has a catback that barely makes it to 2". After 2 track days, the car is louder, probably all of the packing is done for and Im affraid I wont pass the sound check at Calabogie in a few months.

So in all, even tho many people say its very quiet and has a nice sound (which it does), stay away from the TRD, you will run into the same problem as with the q300 and probably lose some power as well.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
dp1 (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 10:20 AM   #3
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
JDL may be a good option
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
dp1 (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 01:11 PM   #4
dp1
driving smoother faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
JDL may be a good option
Thanks, have you used or heard this JDL muffler - any comments on sound, ideally with EL headers and single hi flow fp cat?
https://jdlautodesign.net/shop/ft86-dual-exit-exhaust/

Not cheap (that's ok, just sayin'), heard others comment on good JDL quality (header materials/weld), no information on loudness (db) and no silencer option on a custom tip design. Would much appreciate more feedback.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:07 PM   #5
Apex-Apex

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp1 View Post
Thanks, have you used or heard this JDL muffler - any comments on sound, ideally with EL headers and single hi flow fp cat?

Not cheap (that's ok, just sayin'), heard others comment on good JDL quality (header materials/weld), no information on loudness (db) and no silencer option on a custom tip design. Would much appreciate more feedback.
I'll have the setup you're mentioning soon. They're in the process of building my exhaust atm.

Varis 2JZ Build Thread
IG: @apexapexapex
Apex-Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Apex-Apex For This Useful Post:
dp1 (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 02:09 PM   #6
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
What tail end are you using on track with aftermarket headers and at most one high flow cat that isn't too loud or that can be made quieter with silencers for tracks with sound restrictions?
Fujitsubo Authorize R - no issues
Blitz Nur-Spec VSR - no issues

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
dp1 (05-31-2016), Mr.Impreza (07-03-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 04:39 PM   #7
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I have a full JDL 3" (ultra quiet over-frontpipe and resonated mid-back) with a Nameless header (EL catless) and it's a touch brash WOT but not really raspy. Quiets down a lot around town and part throttle.

Not the best driving but the only video I have with sound so far...

cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
Apex-Apex (06-01-2016), Calum (05-31-2016), dp1 (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 04:41 PM   #8
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:

Can't speak about the exhaust systems but my JDL header is magnificent, one of the most beautiful, best crafted piece on the car... too bad you can hardly see it most times. Quality from JDL is top notch.
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fumanchu1 For This Useful Post:
Apoc (05-31-2016), dp1 (05-31-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 10:11 AM   #9
toeout

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My Q300 also got loud. I will cut out the round resonator in the midpipe that came with the Q300 and replace it with the 18" Flowmaster Super HP-2 muffler http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/?page_id=11167

I'm also adding Magnaflow 14156 Race resonator ( https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=14156 ) in series with the Flowmaster.

I wanted two different types of mufflers to cancel out different frequencies. The whole setup is 12.8 lbs, but you deduct the weight of the resonator that will be removed.
toeout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toeout For This Useful Post:
dp1 (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 02:19 PM   #10
dp1
driving smoother faster

It looks like there are several options at $900+. I am currently looking at the proven Invidia Q300 vs ~$100 more for the Nur-Spec VS.

Factors impacting decision:
- $$$ - mufflers with stuffing have limited lifespan since stuffing burns out with track use, so expect to replace every 1-2 years max to maintain <93db
- aero-friendly design
- no ETA on the ACE baffled muffler
- lack of re-packable muffler options (used to have one made by BOE on Lotus Elise)

I'll probably order one of the two and swap when enough stuffing gets blown out of my current Q300 for the rasp to become loud.
I may also look for a muffler shop to cut open my old Q300 and repack it. Wish I knew what Q300 looked like from the inside, to tell the muffler shop where to cut.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:13 PM   #11
toeout

If money is no issue, I would do the Burns 2-Stage muffler in a heartbeat. Re-packable and lightweight. I considered doing that, but can't justify the price for a daily driver.

http://www.burnsstainless.com/2-stage.aspx

Not instead of the Q300, but in addition. You can move the existing resonator in the midpipe or get rid of it alltogether.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:26 PM   #12
dp1
driving smoother faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeout View Post
If money is no issue, I would do the Burns 2-Stage muffler in a heartbeat. Re-packable and lightweight. I considered doing that, but can't justify the price for a daily driver.

http://www.burnsstainless.com/2-stage.aspx

Not instead of the Q300, but in addition. You can move the existing resonator in the midpipe or get rid of it alltogether.

Brilliant, thank you. I wish somebody would sell it, will ask around for custom work. Would be well worth it for me to have a re-packable muffler for track.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:45 PM   #13
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,228 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
That's an insane price. On all the older cars I used to play with where a nice exhaust = a custom exhaust, I always used "Thermal Research and Development" mufflers.

How do you pull them apart to repack them? How much will that add to price to have a couple of Vbands on both sides? etc

A quality muffler is going to take thousands of track miles to fall apart. I bet in the time it'd take you to replace one, even 2, TR&D muffler, you'll still be money ahead and will have likely moved on to a different car.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OkieSnuffBox For This Useful Post:
dp1 (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 05:22 PM   #14
toeout

Re-pack is $35 http://www.burnsstainless.com/sm-repack-3.aspx

Or you can get different repacking options like the Bristol Core http://www.bristolcore.com/product_p/14415.htm

The outer shell on the Burns muffler is fixed with 3 small hex bolts. You remove those and the outer shell slides off, exposing the packing. That's how you replace it. I had it on my CRX years back and IIRC you weld the front part to the 2.5' piping and the rear part is a slip fit designed to over 2.5" pipe.

Burns Stainless is $$$, but they are also extremely well built and most importantly, they work very well for their versatility, size and weight. Here's an article from Grassroots Motorsports testing them out https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar.../sounding-off/
The Following User Says Thank You to toeout For This Useful Post:
dp1 (06-01-2016)