follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-02-2019, 08:41 PM   #1
AD55

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Short shifter question

I'm 6'2" and have to put the seat in my BRZ all the way back in order to keep my knee from hitting the wheel when letting out on the clutch. No complaint about this, since every other manual car I've owned I couldn't avoid hitting the wheel no matter what position I put the seat in. Another bonus is that I can heel/toe the clutch, something else I was never able to do.

The only problem I have now is that since I have the seat all the way back I have to stretch my arm out completely to reach 1st, 3rd, and 5th. Not a super big deal, just kind of a pain especially in stop and go city driving.

As far as short shifters go. Do they initially bring the shift rod a little closer to the driver in 1st and then all subsequent shifts closer together after that?
Or, is 1st the exact same distance from the driver as in a stock shifter and all subsequent shifts closer together after that. In other words, just shortening the "throw". I'm guessing this is probably the case.

Actually if I could just get the whole shifter assy a little closer to me that would work, since the distance between shifts is no problem. However I would imagine this would be a difficult if not impossible task.

When it's all said and done it might just be easier to have my arm lengthened.
AD55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:03 PM   #2
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Imho to solve one issue you adjusted seat to introduced several others. If you have harder time reaching front-faced gears, most probably your torso are also too far from properly holding steering wheel.

Adjustment should go like this:

- move seat base back till with fully pressed clutch/brake pedals to the floor leg still isn't completely straight, rather a bit bent in knee, and thig not lying/pressing against seat base polstering. That will enable to press pedals harder if needed and with getting tired less over time.

- as prerequisite for following point, i usually move steering wheel as close to me as i can. While adjustment range imho is insufficient, remember that twins steering wheel is not just up/down tilt, but also telescopic. Reason i move steering wheel closer, so that i can later lean seat back more, to gain extra head room (matter if wearing helmet). Tilt should be adjusted for steering wheel to be directed to chest, but i usually move almost to highest position to gain more room for swinging knee when heal&toeing.

- adjust back of seat close enough, so that you can put wrist on 12 o'clock position steering wheel (with freely swingable up-down palm on other side of wheel), without leaning to front, without shoulders and back stopping touching back of seat.
This should ensure that your hands are not too far from steering wheel to not have proper hold at multiple turning positions and similar as with legs, hands are almost never completely straight in elbow, so that if needed you can turn steering wheel stronger, quicker, tiring less, with more precision unlike if you move with straight hands using mostly just upper torso muscles and loosing hold at some steering postions.
If you are close enough to steering wheel, you certainly shouldn't be too far from shifter, which should also be even slightly closer then right adjusted steering wheel, or at similar distance, only a bit to side and lower. Certainly not at hard to reach distance.

- finish with adjusting center and side mirrors to current seating pose.

P.S.
For my own body build & hands/legs proportions i find that for really proper seating as per above i need much more telescopic adjustment range then stock, so that i can lean back even more, so that with helmet on my head to not touch roof lining.
I currently installed J-Luth steering wheel (which is a bit smaller in diameter and at offset closer to driver by 20mm), but am waiting if/when 949 Racing will release stock steering wheel spacer to relocate it IIRC by 50mm closer to driver to test it.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBKI72eqVNo[/ame]
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:05 PM   #3
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like you want something like this?
https://www.wearelikewise.com/collec...suzuka-adapter
Old 06-02-2019, 11:31 PM   #4
churchx

It will relocate it up and closer to steering wheel .. but it won't relocate it closer to driver. And if shifter is too far from driver, imho steering wheel also is, and that sounds to me like bigger of a problem.
Also if one considering such longer shifters, imho raceseng's tall shift knobs seem a bit more reliable then your linked, imho overengineered overcomplified one.
Though if one wants to relocate up and closer to steering wheel .. i'd start to think of complete shifters, like CAE Ultra shifter or IRP shifter, to also enhance by a lot shifting feel, and keep throws short, despite longer lever of shifter.
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
why? (06-05-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 12:27 AM   #5
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
Hurst shifters have the same concept but they look less, well, handicapped.

Turdinator (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 01:54 AM   #6
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
It will relocate it up and closer to steering wheel .. but it won't relocate it closer to driver. And if shifter is too far from driver, imho steering wheel also is, and that sounds to me like bigger of a problem.
Also if one considering such longer shifters, imho raceseng's tall shift knobs seem a bit more reliable then your linked, imho overengineered overcomplified one.
Though if one wants to relocate up and closer to steering wheel .. i'd start to think of complete shifters, like CAE Ultra shifter or IRP shifter, to also enhance by a lot shifting feel, and keep throws short, despite longer lever of shifter.
I don't have one but from the look of it i thought you could angle it closer to the driver? You could also put a bent rod in the top bit if you were ok with a little DIY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
I didn't say it was pretty.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:18 AM   #7
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Have you tried adjusting the clutch pedal to let you sit a bit closer? There isn't a whole lot of distance you can adjust it downwards (forwards?), but every mm helps I imagine.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8040
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:15 AM   #8
AD55

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Imho to solve one issue you adjusted seat to introduced several others. If you have harder time reaching front-faced gears, most probably your torso are also too far from properly holding steering wheel.

Adjustment should go like this:

- move seat base back till with fully pressed clutch/brake pedals to the floor leg still isn't completely straight, rather a bit bent in knee, and thig not lying/pressing against seat base polstering. That will enable to press pedals harder if needed and with getting tired less over time.

- as prerequisite for following point, i usually move steering wheel as close to me as i can. While adjustment range imho is insufficient, remember that twins steering wheel is not just up/down tilt, but also telescopic. Reason i move steering wheel closer, so that i can later lean seat back more, to gain extra head room (matter if wearing helmet). Tilt should be adjusted for steering wheel to be directed to chest, but i usually move almost to highest position to gain more room for swinging knee when heal&toeing.

- adjust back of seat close enough, so that you can put wrist on 12 o'clock position steering wheel (with freely swingable up-down palm on other side of wheel), without leaning to front, without shoulders and back stopping touching back of seat.
This should ensure that your hands are not too far from steering wheel to not have proper hold at multiple turning positions and similar as with legs, hands are almost never completely straight in elbow, so that if needed you can turn steering wheel stronger, quicker, tiring less, with more precision unlike if you move with straight hands using mostly just upper torso muscles and loosing hold at some steering postions.
If you are close enough to steering wheel, you certainly shouldn't be too far from shifter, which should also be even slightly closer then right adjusted steering wheel, or at similar distance, only a bit to side and lower. Certainly not at hard to reach distance.

- finish with adjusting center and side mirrors to current seating pose.

P.S.
For my own body build & hands/legs proportions i find that for really proper seating as per above i need much more telescopic adjustment range then stock, so that i can lean back even more, so that with helmet on my head to not touch roof lining.
I currently installed J-Luth steering wheel (which is a bit smaller in diameter and at offset closer to driver by 20mm), but am waiting if/when 949 Racing will release stock steering wheel spacer to relocate it IIRC by 50mm closer to driver to test it.

So I guess the simple answer is "No", an aftermarket short throw shifter will not place the shift knob closer to me when in 1st, 3rd, and 5th.

Everything but my reach to the shift knob is fine. The steering wheel and pedal positions are near perfect. I can almost guarantee if I start messing around with the seat position, or tilt and telescope of the wheel I'm going to be right back to banging my knee on the wheel when I let off the clutch. Between the two issues I'll settle for a little longer reach to 3 of the gears.

In actuality I am probably wanting something the BRZ and just about every other production car that has a manual transmission can't deliver, which is the perfect driving position. There is going to be some compromise no matter how things are adjusted. That's okay though. Compromise is what life is all about.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:21 AM   #9
AD55

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post

I was going to say the same thing, but was afraid I'd be accused of being politically incorrect.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:46 AM   #10
AD55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
Gotta love the line in the description that says "Products are intended for show use only". What are they talking about? I wouldn't want to drive a car with this thing on it, much less show it to anybody.

It all becomes clear when you see it comes from the same country that brought us Crocodile Dundee. Most likely the result of one too many Foster's.

No offense meant Turdinator
Old 06-03-2019, 03:48 AM   #11
churchx

AD55: if steering wheel is closer to you and higher (or if one moves seat to front for somewhat similar "clearance" result) - less chance to bang knee against it. Simply said, then highest point, knee moves behind it, not directly below it. "Higher" partially can be reached also by smaller diameter steering wheel, not just tilting it up with adjustment. Closer .. options i know of (that also keep stock airbag) i wrote in previous post. 20mm with J-Luth (sold of same finishes also as ACT steering wheel. And with different finish but of same base frame Keys Racing) does a bit of both - smaller diameter (340mm vs stock 365mm, so 12.5mm extra "knee clearance" ) & closer. Also waiting for/when 949 will release their 50mm spacer. There are many other deeper offset aftermarket steering wheels then these, but using those will mean loosing stock airbag, replacing with quick disconnect hub or alike mount compatible with those wheels. Well .. there are also D-shaped steering wheels with airbag .. but imho they are not true solve to wheel to knee clearance as will work only with straightened wheel.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:56 AM   #12
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD55 View Post
Gotta love the line in the description that says "Products are intended for show use only". What are they talking about? I wouldn't want to drive a car with this thing on it, much less show it to anybody.

It all becomes clear when you see it comes from the same country that brought us Crocodile Dundee. Most likely the result of one too many Foster's.

LOL, Fosters, we export that rubbish, we don't drink it.

Your right about that shifter though, WTF were they thinking?
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (06-05-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 09:55 PM   #13
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
I was going to say the same thing, but was afraid I'd be accused of being politically incorrect.
an office i do work at has a secretary that drives with hand controls. she's fun to talk to. i've got no problem with those that need it, but i don't see any reason why anyone that doesn't need it wants that look.

Quote:

you had a 'thanks', and then you lost it making fun of the amazing land down under.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:32 PM   #14
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
What about something simple like this?

(I don't know what you would do about reverse - )

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote