follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum

FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum All photos, videos and other media related to the Scion FR-S and Toyota 86

User Tag List

Old 10-19-2015, 05:19 PM   #15
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
You're either first or you're last.
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:22 PM   #16
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,252 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
It would be interesting to see how this is handled. Assuming: a) the Hummer had a stop sign and b) the BRZ did not have a stop sign/light
It is the Hummer's responsibility to yield to the BRZ. And the BRZ has the right to use both lanes.
However, given the ensuing skid marks, I think the BRZ would be ticketed for reckless driving in addition to the Hummer being ticketed for failure to yield.
Thoughts?
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pat For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (10-20-2015), extrashaky (10-19-2015), mizzta21 (10-20-2015), S84kam (10-20-2015), soulreapersteve (10-20-2015), strat61caster (10-19-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 05:56 PM   #17
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdoc View Post
The hummer was stopped at the beginning of the clip though, and I doubt you can predict someone making a u-turn in that manner, so you'd probably just expect a left turn when they didn't slow down to sane u-turn speeds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
The hummer may have stopped at the stop sign and not expected the FRS would u-turn there the way he did.
Whether you expect it or not is not relevant. The FR-S had the right of way. The Hummer didn't.

The fact that you may not be expecting it is what makes it counter-intuitive. But that's the law.

Quote:
Also, the hummer stayed in the far lane, the FRS was the one who swung out too far if there was a collision.
Nope. When making a u-turn, you're not required to turn into the closest lane, because that's impossible for most vehicles. The FR-S had the right of way into either lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
It would be interesting to see how this is handled. Assuming: a) the Hummer had a stop sign and b) the BRZ did not have a stop sign/light
It is the Hummer's responsibility to yield to the BRZ. And the BRZ has the right to use both lanes.
However, given the ensuing skid marks, I think the BRZ would be ticketed for reckless driving in addition to the Hummer being ticketed for failure to yield.
Thoughts?
Winner!

Although whether the FR-S driver would receive a ticket for spinning out would depend in large part on how he sold it. "I was making a completely 100% legal u-turn, when all of a sudden I saw this idiot in a huge Hummer run the stop sign and come right at me. So I gunned it to try to get out of the way."

The wreck itself would still be the Hummer's fault and would go against his insurance.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Cole (10-19-2015), strat61caster (10-19-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 06:28 PM   #18
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Too many people to quote...

I failed my first driving test in this way. I was sitting in the Hummer's position, assumed the car was making a left and not a U-turn, let off the brake to roll forward and then the car kept turning to make the U. I had enough space to continue rolling without any worry (hadn't even gotten to the gas yet) but the DMV employee freaked out and thought I was going to accelerate into the other car, yelled at me to stop and insta-failed me. Maybe if you were in the passenger seat you would agree, time may have warped the story and I am a dumbass but still relevant to this video.

I would absolutely say the Hummer made a bad call. That intersection looks like a not unusual place for a U-turn, the Hummer clearly had a stop sign, it sucks to drive safe sometimes lots of waiting, would have been 20 seconds out of his day as there were no cars behind the 86.

This does not mean the 86 was innocent, definitely grounds for reckless driving the way he handled it, if he had hit the brakes instead of the gas this wouldn't even be a discussion, just another circlejerk about "dumb suv drivers".
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Cole (10-19-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 06:56 PM   #19
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Reviewing the video there is still a problem with the FRS turn that would put him at fault if he had a collision and that is that he did not yield right of way to the Hummer. Also, it is hard to see but the hummer does appear to be stopped before he started making his turn.

That said, the biggest problem I have here is with the intersection itself. Is there seriously no stop sign or light for the opposing left hand turn? I've reviewed the video and can only see what I assume is the yellow and black yield post. Certainly the FRS did not stop for that turn at all..
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:09 PM   #20
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Sorry. Whether the FRS had the right of way or not he was an asshat! he went into that turn far faster then was ever required on the street and lost it because of crappy driving. He then immediately sped away. The Hummer stopped and proceeded with loads of space if the FRS hadn't made his u turn at about 3 times the speed any normal driver would have expected. Hard to tell at the distance but I didn't see any sign of a signal by the FRS that could have given the Hummer warning that he was about to have a car whip around beside him. Here that would have got the FRS driver dangerous driving or possibly even a stunt driving charge and they would not fall for any lame "I saw the other guy turning and gunned it to try to get around him" bullshit.
Anybody else catch what shows up at 19 seconds as the FRS is still under heavy acceleration?

FRS driver -If you are on here. You sir are a moron.

OK guys back to trying to find ways to blame the Hummer driver.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:15 PM   #21
extrashaky

Quote:
Reviewing the video there is still a problem with the FRS turn that would put him at fault if he had a collision and that is that he did not yield right of way to the Hummer. Also, it is hard to see but the hummer does appear to be stopped before he started making his turn.
He did not have to yield the right of way to the Hummer. The Hummer did not have the right of way. The FR-S did, douche or not.

It also doesn't matter if the Hummer stopped first. A stop sign in this situation means you stop and stay there until it is safe to proceed. The Hummer stopped, then proceeded before it was safe to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Sorry. Whether the FRS had the right of way or not he was an asshat! he went into that turn far faster then was ever required on the street and lost it because of crappy driving.
I can agree with that.

The lens on that guy's camera is really wide, which distorts distance. What it looks like to me (and the guy's comment on the video backs it up) is that the FR-S driver attempted to make a u-turn when he didn't really have enough space in oncoming traffic to do so safely, so he gunned it, not expecting the Hummer to run the stop sign right into his path.

Quote:
OK guys back to trying to find ways to blame the Hummer driver.
I don't need to find a way to blame the Hummer driver. If there had been a collision, the Hummer driver would have been at fault because he ran a stop sign and failed to yield the right of way. It doesn't excuse what the FR-S driver did, but being an asshole doesn't automatically make you legally responsible.
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Cole (10-19-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 09:17 PM   #22
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:

That said, the biggest problem I have here is with the intersection itself. Is there seriously no stop sign or light for the opposing left hand turn? I've reviewed the video and can only see what I assume is the yellow and black yield post. Certainly the FRS did not stop for that turn at all..
What are you talking about? The FRS had the right of way. Regardless of whether the Hummer was stopped legally, it doesn't matter, as the FRS didn't have a stop sign. (Assuming of course the U-turn was legal there)
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:19 PM   #23
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
What are you talking about? The FRS had the right of way. Regardless of whether the Hummer was stopped legally, it doesn't matter, as the FRS didn't have a stop sign. (Assuming of course the U-turn was legal there)
That is an assumption that we all have made and it is very possible that we are wrong.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:34 PM   #24
extrashaky

Quote:
That is an assumption that we all have made and it is very possible that we are wrong.
The video says the FR-S had Florida plates. U-turns are legal in Florida unless posted otherwise. You can see in the video that there are no signs there that might prohibit a u-turn.

So unless this is a Florida driver driving in a state where u-turns are illegal, the FR-S had the right of way over the Hummer.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:09 PM   #25
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just goes to show that 200HP is too much for some FR-S drivers to handle.
strat61caster (10-20-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 10:24 PM   #26
TruRace

Drives: FRS-Raven-MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I encounter this same situation quite often (I live in Florida). It almost seems like no one in Florida is aware of this law and want too look at me like a crazy person and flick me off when I'm making a u-turn right into them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TruRace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TruRace For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (10-20-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 10:39 PM   #27
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
The video says the FR-S had Florida plates. U-turns are legal in Florida unless posted otherwise. You can see in the video that there are no signs there that might prohibit a u-turn.

So unless this is a Florida driver driving in a state where u-turns are illegal, the FR-S had the right of way over the Hummer.
But isn't dumping the clutch, or flooring it in an auto in first like that person may have done considered reckless driving? I do that all the time in cul de sacs for u-turns. It's quite reckless and if you did it with other cars or a cop around they would definitely would get put your license in jeopardy
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-20-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 10:41 PM   #28
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
But isn't dumping the clutch, or flooring it in an auto in first like that person may have done considered reckless driving? I do that all the time in cul de sacs for u-turns. It's quite reckless and if you did it with other cars or a cop around they would definitely would get put your license in jeopardy
Doesn't change the fact that the FRS had the right of way.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote