follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 06-20-2019, 10:38 AM   #169
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD55 View Post
I've been trying to figure this one out. The plug replace interval is listed as 5 years or 60K miles, whichever comes first.
Yep, that's what the manual says.

My 2013 FR-S has about 25,000 miles on it, and it's over 5 years old.

I'm not about to have the plugs changed before 60,000 miles, unless I get a misfire code.

Yes, I'm just an old man that drives my car up to the doctor's office and then on to the pharmacy/grocery store -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-20-2019), soundman98 (11-25-2019), sroby (07-16-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 12:04 PM   #170
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I'm in the "proverbial little old lady" camp myself. I've put about 3500 miles each year so going by miles I'd be changing them in around 2032.
Even with 90% city miles, changing them at about 25k miles seems a bit premature. I'm thinking it'll be somewhere in between like 40k.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-20-2019), humfrz (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 05:15 PM   #171
AD55

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
That's exactly why I brought this up, as I too identify with that little old lady.

The car sits in the garage most of the winter months either due to ice and snow on the roads or because there's salt all over the roads to get rid of the ice and snow.

I do sometimes start and run it up to operating temperature or maybe just sit in it, run it through the gears, and imitate the sound of a boxer engine.

No doubt about it, I've got to move south before I lose what's left of my mind or are just too old to climb in and out of the BRZ.
AD55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:19 PM   #172
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD55 View Post
That's exactly why I brought this up, as I too identify with that little old lady.

No doubt about it, I've got to move south before I lose what's left of my mind or are just too old to climb in and out of the BRZ.
Now is the time to practice the old "exit roll". Getting in isn't too bad, "flopping" out can be embarrassing -

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:21 PM   #173
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I'm not about to have the plugs changed before 60,000 miles, unless I get a misfire code.
I chuckled at this. Because if the plugs degraded over 5 years without usage then we could probably expect the rest of the car is simply dissolving in our garages as we speak!
Dadhawk (06-21-2019), humfrz (06-20-2019), soundman98 (11-25-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 11:29 PM   #174
LerpK

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
I am about to tackle this job here in the next couple weeks. I see some people saying that jacking the engine up helps create more room, and others saying it didn't help. Does it help that much or doesn't it? Also, do the engine mounts need to be removed or loosened to jack the engine up, or just the few things already mentioned previously, like intake, alternator hard line, etc.?
LerpK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:43 AM   #175
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LerpK View Post
I am about to tackle this job here in the next couple weeks. I see some people saying that jacking the engine up helps create more room, and others saying it didn't help. Does it help that much or doesn't it? Also, do the engine mounts need to be removed or loosened to jack the engine up, or just the few things already mentioned previously, like intake, alternator hard line, etc.?

I did the same thing this dude did. Takes time, just be patient. Even with my fat gorilla hands I did it.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:09 PM   #176
theadmiral976

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LerpK View Post
If you choose to raise the engine any appreciable amount, you will have to undo the single bolt from the mount to the frame on each side of the motor.

In my opinion, it is definitely not worth it to lift the engine for a simple plug change. I just did it for the second time and, if I can recall, these are the tools I used: short sockets (10, 12 mm), deep socket (14 mm), very short extension (~1 inch), short extension (2 inches), long-handled fine toothed ratchet (head as narrow as you can find - I like the narrow Craftsman ratchets), magnet on bendable/extendable stick (I use a Husky "penlight/magnet" combo tool I found at Home Depot), and a small mirror of some variety.

You will have the most trouble pulling the #4 plug (driver's rear) as the frame is very tight and you have to disassemble your tools to get the deepwell 14 mm socket out. Strong fingers will help you. Or you can use a set of long-handled pliers to grip the extension while blocking the socket from leaving the plug hole.

You will be in great pain while removing the #2 plug (driver's front) as the HPFP assembly above it is sharp and hate-filled. It will cut you. You will bleed all over your fuel lines. You will contemplate selling your car.

In terms of access, you will need to remove two things, the injector ECU on the passenger side and the HPFP heat shield on the driver's side. For the ECU, don't unplug it, you'll regret it. Just twist the ECU towards the floor and stuff it next to the battery. This will limit the amount of tension you put on the harness. For the heat shield, it's two 12 mm bolts - use a magnet to control the rear bolt as it is way down on the block and easy to drop. It is very heavy and very sharp and will damage harnesses and paint. Carefully maneuver it back towards the firewall under the left chassis brace and then pull it up on the front side to clear the fuel lines. Then carefully extract it towards the front at a 45 degree angle.

Good luck and God speed. If only Subaru had cut a couple access holes in the frame to allow direct access via the wheel wells....
theadmiral976 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theadmiral976 For This Useful Post:
ddevl_86 (02-27-2021)
Old 10-12-2019, 07:20 PM   #177
evan_calgary

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS Hot Lava
Just finished this today. Thanks for the write up.

Based on what Toyota charges to get it done I thought it was not a hard nor long job. 3 hours including a trip to get tools and some messing around.

I wouldn't both jacking up the engine.

Definitely remove the torsion bar, the plastic clamp for the hoses and the whatever than heavy black metal cover is on the driver's side.

If there is anything I can recommend, don't click in your ratchets. The few times I did I wasted more time getting them off than anything else.

It is tight in there but the people that built this car made it just work.
evan_calgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:56 PM   #178
LerpK

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
I completed this with a buddy and it honestly wasn't as bad as I was expecting. It's a pretty easy, straight forward job. It is just time consuming with the limited amount of space to work in.

I didn't need any special tools either, just used a 3/8ths ratchet, a 6'' extension with the shorter "spark plug" extension attached to that, deepwell socket, small flathead screwdriver to help disconnect the socket from extension, magnet with rotating head to grab the plugs, and most importantly some rags stuffed down the sides to catch falling things (vital).
LerpK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 02:48 PM   #179
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I'm at 171k on my daily/mostly highway driven 2013 BRZ and while the car seems to run fine, it's something I am going to do in the spring. Is everyone for the most part following what this guy did? Definitely not planning on jacking up the motor.

B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:00 PM   #180
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-R-Z View Post
I'm at 171k on my daily/mostly highway driven 2013 BRZ and while the car seems to run fine, it's something I am going to do in the spring. Is everyone for the most part following what this guy did? Definitely not planning on jacking up the motor.

That's the way I did it. Takes time but it's doable
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 01:50 PM   #181
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-R-Z View Post

I'm at 50k miles and planning on doing mine this way at 60k. I have a size medium-large hand so hopefully that plays to my advantage.
Old 12-24-2019, 05:49 PM   #182
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
My biggest tip is what someone said above, don't push your sockets all the way on your extension. You will spend more time separating them than anything else.

Also, use a length of fuel line to thread them in - slide the line over the plug, feed it in the hole and then spin the line and the plug will find its way into the threads. Only time you need the socket is to tighten it down.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote