follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 08-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
vh_supra26

Drives: Supra
Thanked 1,608 Times in 724 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Toyota to Debut New Hybrid R Sports Concept at the Frankfurt Show: New Supra teased?

Quote:
ike many other major players in the industry, Toyota will also offer us a glimpse into the future with one or perhaps even more concept models at next month's Frankfurt International Motor Show in Germany. Today we learned that one of those studies will be the Hybrid R Concept.

"At the forthcoming 2013 Frankfurt Motor Show, Toyota will present an exciting new concept that brings Toyota Hybrid System-Racing technology to the road (and track)," reads the Japanese firm's statement that's accompanied by a picture of the Hybrid R logo, but nothing more.

Without additional information, one can only speculate what the Hybrid R is, but one possibility that springs to mind is a directly or perhaps mechanically related concept to Toyota's upcoming, and purportedly Supra-replacing, mid-size sports car that is being jointly developed with the BMW Group.

Hopefully, we'll learn more in the coming days.
http://www.carscoops.com/2013/08/toy...-r-sports.html
vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
zephyr69 (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
vh_supra26

Toyota To Showcase Le Mans Tech In New Hybrid-R Road Car Concept

Quote:
Toyota will present a new concept at the 2013 Frankfurt Auto Show next month that the automaker has confirmed will showcase its hybrid technology from its race-winning Le Mans prototypes in a road car platform.
Along with the announcement, Toyota released the first of three teaser images, which depicts the new badge for the automaker’s future performance-oriented hybrid cars.

As opposed to the stylized S used on its Hybrid Synergy Drive badge, the new badge is dominated by a stylized R. The letter has become synonymous with racing and we’re left in no doubt of that fact thanks to the subtle checkered flag integrated with the design.

All we know is that the concept debuting in Frankfurt will feature this badge and be called the Toyota Hybrid-R. The automaker isn’t saying whether the Hybrid-R previews a future production model but Toyota has long been rumored to be working on a new hybrid sports car to serve as a successor to its Supra. The rumors heightened when Toyota confirmed plans to develop a new sports car platform with BMW, so perhaps this is what the Hybrid-R concept foreshadows.

Furthermore, Toyota has stated in the past that its hybrid Le Mans program, initiated in 2012, would help hone its road car technology. The current 2013-spec Toyota TS030 Hybrid prototype features a 530-horsepower 3.4-liter V-8, which is paired to an electric motor powered by a super capacitor-based energy storage system.

While Toyota’s production hybrids are expected to stick with batteries for the foreseeable future, engineers have been closely following the development of the TS030 Hybrid in order to improve energy recovery capability, and it's likely this that will primarily benefit Toyota's future production hybrids.

We’ll be seeing two more teasers before the reveal of the new Toyota Hybrid-R concept at the 2013 Frankfurt Auto Show on September 10. To ensure you don’t miss out on any of our coverage, stay glued to our dedicated hub.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ad-car-concept
Old 08-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
vh_supra26

Toyota Teasing New Hybrid R Concept for the Frankfurt Show

Quote:
With about a month left until the Frankfurt International Motor Show, Toyota teases us with a... badge.

Yes, for now it’s just a badge reading Hybrid R, from which we learn that it will bring Toyota’s racing hybrid technology on road vehicles in the near future.

"At the forthcoming 2013 Frankfurt Motor Show, Toyota will present an exciting new concept that brings Toyota Hybrid System-Racing technology to the road (and track)," reads the Japanese firm's statement that accompanies the picture of the Hybrid R logo.

With no other details available, we can only think that it might be close related to the automaker’s Supra replacement jointly developed with BMW, which might be based on the Toyota FT-HS hybrid concept car revealed in 2007 and which you can see in the picture bellow.

Stay tuned to find out more details as soon as the automaker will reveal them.

http://www.autoevolution.com/toyota-...how-64561.html
Old 08-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
vh_supra26

Toyota Hybrid-R Concept Set for 2013 Frankfurt Auto Show

Just the Facts:
  • The Toyota Hybrid-R Concept will bow at the 2013 Frankfurt Auto Show, prompting speculation that this may be a new hybrid sports car designed to serve as a successor to the Toyota Supra.
  • Toyota released an image of the badge for its Hybrid-R Concept, but provided no further information.
  • Earlier this year, BMW and Toyota announced plans to jointly develop a sports-car platform to be completed by the end of 2013.
FRANKFURT, Germany — The Toyota Hybrid-R Concept will bow at the 2013 Frankfurt Auto Show, prompting speculation that this may be a new hybrid sports car designed to serve as a successor to the Toyota Supra.

Toyota released an image of the badge for its Hybrid-R Concept, but provided no further information. The badge's design blends a checkered flag with the color blue, hinting that the concept may highlight performance with an eco-friendly twist.

"Toyota will showcase an exciting new concept for road and track, featuring Toyota Hybrid System-Racing (THS-R) technology," the automaker said in a statement on Wednesday.

The THS-R technology has been used in the TS030, Toyota's FIA World Endurance Championship car.

The concept is set for a reveal on September 10.

Earlier this year, BMW and Toyota announced plans to jointly develop a sports-car platform to be completed by the end of 2013.

The two companies also said they are to jointly develop lightweight technologies for vehicle bodies using cutting-edge materials such as reinforced composites, to use on the new sports-car platform and other BMW and Toyota vehicles.

"We are making steadfast progress," said Akio Toyoda, Toyota president, in a statement at the time. "Now, we are entering the phase that promises the fruit."

The Toyota Supra is out of production, but it remains one of the Japanese automaker's most popular models with performance enthusiasts. Available through much of the 1980s and ?90s, the Supra served as Toyota's flagship sport coupe. The Supra pioneered new technologies as well. It was the first Toyota to get electronic fuel injection and the first Toyota in the U.S. to have both a turbocharged engine and antilock brakes.

Edmunds says: Can you wrap your head around a hybrid Toyota Supra?

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/toyo...auto-show.html
Old 08-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
f0rge
head of infinite swagger

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I'm not even sure what I'm going to do with my life if the new Supra is decently priced and doesn't suck.
f0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
bakerr6

Drives: 2013 raven black fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by f0rge View Post
I'm not even sure what I'm going to do with my life if the new Supra is decently priced and doesn't suck.
I'm going to try to help my wife get a better job so we can afford one haha
bakerr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
NemesisPrime909

Drives: 2017 Nissan Versa Note
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
if it is the new Toyota-BMW ('TMW?') sports coupe, called the Supra, and "affordable" then I may just have to skip the BRZ, buy a cheap first gen miata and wait for it to come out.

As much as I adore the twins and their philosophy, the supra was my first favorite car and it holds a special place in my heart.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:06 AM   #8
Sasquachulator

Drives: 2016 Scion iM, 2017 BMW X1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I hate hybrids.....

In other news I never realized that TS-030 Hybrid racecar was powered by a 3.4L V8 pushing 530 horses (and another 300 from the battery pack?).....

I mean its a race engine but damn, Toyota has something like that?
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
ZetaVI
Gundam Meister

Drives: A Gundam
Thanked 1,010 Times in 510 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Nope. It's a 400 HP Hybrid Yaris.
ZetaVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:40 AM   #10
soap94
Banned

Drives: Corolla
in my opinion hybrid cars don't have future. It is somewhere in the middle between fuel and electricity. I would rather by more expensive electric car rather that hybrid one. Of course hybrid engine has pros, but it is not enough for me.
P.S. nice article that shows real situation http://italkaboutcars.com/5_facts_to...rids_pros_cons
soap94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #11
fang_gt86
FR Noob

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soap94 View Post
in my opinion hybrid cars don't have future. It is somewhere in the middle between fuel and electricity. I would rather by more expensive electric car rather that hybrid one. Of course hybrid engine has pros, but it is not enough for me.
P.S. nice article that shows real situation http://italkaboutcars.com/5_facts_to...rids_pros_cons
Anyone can mass produce cheap full-electric car anytime. The issue is what to do with the rest of the gas-powered cars. I can't wait for the day government ban all gas-powered cars on public roads lol

6MT FR-S Whiteout:OFT- OTS V2 Stage 2 (93oct & E85), Tomei UEL, Invidia OP, JDL UltraQuiet FP, Ark Grip catback, GS hood struts, Perrin Inlet & K&N drop-in
fang_gt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:11 AM   #12
Tcoat
He who smelt it...

Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Thanked 79,604 Times in 35,944 Posts
Mentioned: 2056 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
And a classic example of why these clickbaits articles are so fun to read several or even two or three years after they are written:

Aug 2012 - "Earlier this year, BMW and Toyota announced plans to jointly develop a sports-car platform to be completed by the end of 2013."

"We are making steadfast progress," said Akio Toyoda, Toyota president, in a statement at the time. "Now, we are entering the phase that promises the fruit."

Last edited by Tcoat; 11-04-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Tcoat is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (12-13-2015), soulreapersteve (11-04-2015), strat61caster (11-04-2015)
Old 11-04-2015, 01:32 PM   #13
soap94
Banned

Drives: Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by fang_gt86 View Post
Anyone can mass produce cheap full-electric car anytime. The issue is what to do with the rest of the gas-powered cars. I can't wait for the day government ban all gas-powered cars on public roads lol
But this is the point of "eco driving" All companies should produce electric cars right now, for a decent price. It will make people want to buy these cars, that is how government can get rid off old cars.
soap94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:20 PM   #14
Tcoat
He who smelt it...

Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Thanked 79,604 Times in 35,944 Posts
Mentioned: 2056 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soap94 View Post
But this is the point of "eco driving" All companies should produce electric cars right now, for a decent price. It will make people want to buy these cars, that is how government can get rid off old cars.
I think they should all be producing hover cars that teleport you instantly from location to location but the tech and infrastructure are just not there yet for them either.
jawn (11-04-2015)